Looking for info on building a wltoys 144001

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefy nugz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I read some info already posted here. Good read! I’m looking for information on setups guys are using to hit 70-80mph and above. I’m thinking above 80mph would be 4s.

I’m pretty sure the 3650 brushless will fit. What about the 3665 or even larger....?

Right now on hand I’ve got a 9t with a 45a esc ready to drop in something. I know the esc is too small for speed runs but what about the 9T. I tried looking up info on this motor size (after a friend gave it to me) with no luck. Will a 9t create enough power for my goals or should I go with something different?

What size esc would be recommended, 120a?

Thanks for and comments or advise?

this rc is 1/14 scale and already comes with a 550 .2000kv motor .id think all you need is a esc that will handle a 4cell+ in lipo volts .. as you go up in cell count the amperage needed from esc decreses...so a 45 amp esc rated for 4 cells will give you enough power to meet your motors need.good luck in your quest in 90mph +..I have a 1/16 scale photon that does that on 3 cell with a 9000kv motor .its down and back and let cool for half hour or so in my fan station

The stock brushed motor goes up in smoke when running on 3s very easily. I’m gonna run the stock motor till it goes out.

dint see a brushed version in my lookies. heck Id just get a 2200kv and a esc maybe 90 A max. and go 4 it.

I would think you may not need that many cells to achieve your goal. I'd start with a strong ESC like the Castle Mamba Monster 2 and find a higher KV motor.

The real question is can you make/modify parts? You will need to make or purchase and adjustable motor mount and play with gearing to get into speed runs.

Also the only tires that are going to handle over 60mph will be 1/10 on-road foams. I recommend 38 shore (BSR Purple)
I have tried 25 shore and they chunk very quickly with little improvement on traction.

I'd also crack open the diffs and add either 500k or 1 million diff fluid.

I have been toying with the idea of building a WL Toys 144001 speed car myself.

I would think you may not need that many cells to achieve your goal. I'd start with a strong ESC like the Castle Mamba Monster 2 and find a higher KV motor.

The real question is can you make/modify parts? You will need to make or purchase and adjustable motor mount and play with gearing to get into speed runs.

Also the only tires that are going to handle over 60mph will be 1/10 on-road foams. I recommend 38 shore (BSR Purple)
I have tried 25 shore and they chunk very quickly with little improvement on traction.

I'd also crack open the diffs and add either 500k or 1 million diff fluid.

I have been toying with the idea of building a WL Toys 144001 speed car myself.
Thanks for the info!
I like the idea of building one of these mainly bc their cheap and so are most of the parts!

Thanks for the info!
I like the idea of building one of these mainly bc their cheap and so are most of the parts!
Exactly... I was thinking pick up 2 for $140 and keep the second one as spare parts.

Back