Looking for advice in building a work bench

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see you took my lighting idea! Works great doesn't it.
Instead of hanging the light I screwed it directly to the underside of the top shelf.

Another thing I did was get extenders for the back posts and raised the shelf up another 12". You will be amazed on how much more light you get.

attachment.jpg

Here are a few more ideas you may be able to use.
If you look you will see many magnets. I use them to hold razor blades, I have magnetic clips to hold useless papers and many other magnetic goodies.

If you have other shelves you can use them as part of your bench. If you look at mine, I have a shelving unit behind my bench. I took the back off the bench and am using the shelving unit to increase the depth for all my support equipment. I extended the height of my bench top shelf and adjusted the rack shelfs to match.

I mounted my Power strip along the top of my bench where most of my electronics are and where I do most of my work. I also have the shop computer and monitor tucked away.

Its not pictured but I have Craftsman toolbox drawer organizers in the bench drawers. The ones that have long bins across the back and many little bins for screws across the front. I can just open the drawer a few inches while working on my RCs and I have a place to put the parts in organized bins.

Work spaces are a work in progress always changing when you get a new doodad that needs a place. Keep this in mind as your planing your build.

Attachments

• bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 262
  • bench2.jpg
    bench2.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 242
I used many of Eddys suggestions to get mine in order. It's a little messy right now but here's some updates...

e4cf0263.jpg

workin on my winter project, stretching the PTI Goliath

aff1522e.jpg

13" TV, stereo, and work center, wash basin conveniently located to the left.

c2d9ff4c.jpg

gorilla racks and ss tool cart from costco

a2635587.jpg

Like Eddy said...You cannot have enough lighting, I've added 3 more 4' flourescent strips and switched them all to daylight 6800k bulbs. They made a huge difference.

All I need now is a recliner and mini fridge and my family will never see me again. lol

i work out of a little area off the back of my kitchen ,feels like a prison cell when the door is closed ,lol
i am a carpenter by trade and build wierd oddball stuff that other guys say i am not tringthat ,give it to rick he will build it ,anyway i used dbl'ed up 3/4 plywood for my top which is 4' long and 22" deep cut 2x4's on a 45" and moutned them to the wall so you can use a desk chair to move with out hitting the legs
as for storage i am cheap i use slide out parts bins and have it mounted to the wall also ,4' lite right above me mounted to cabinets
and i have a old tool box removeable caddy for my tools
ziplock storage containers work awsume for when tearing down to clean

Mine is definately still a work in progress....I'm building a table to match the height and add a lil more depth to my space (mostly for larger projects non RC related),......and a shelf for the RCs...... I just have to go get my compound Mitre saw from pop's shop to finish it now......I want the shelf to be in the living room so I can see my pretty shelf queens for the next 3 months while I'm waiting for the parks to clear out....and then it will be too cold to run til april anyway...looks like my season is done....oh well......I can still terrorize the kids in the park this weekend......

and Eddy I tried to screw the light to the shelf but it was hitting the lip...I could have just cut it off but I felt lazy and I had chains.......I can't raise my shelf, It's part of the table I have....I like your idea of using shelving units behind it but I'm limited on how far from the wall I can go as this is my DINING ROOM (LOL) and it will stick out in front of the entry to my kitchen.....I want to get all my electronics on a shelf and free up more real estate there.....just have so much crap to organize in it......once th eshelf and other table are done I should have all the space I want......

FastEddy said:
Looking good!
I see you got the floor mats as well. I love mine.

The floor mats rock...I couldn't believe how cheap they were, something like $8 bucks for 25 sq feet. Good stuff.

hey wassup, lookin good diesel. I have a question about electrical boxes though. My garage is retarded and it only has one outlet that is on the other side of where my workbench is. I was wonder either (1.) Run wires through the wall or (2.) Run an extension cord on top of the roof to my workbench. This is what my workbench looks like right now( i straitened up though)
CIMG0616.jpg
i'll get a better picture when my parents unground me from the digi cam(i used it too much(lol))

I'd say your best bet for power is to simply throw an extension cord across the interior of the roof for power with a powerstrip on the end.

And for your sake I hope those pics you took were of the PG varitey. LOL

LOL they were...thanks for the advice. Now only to convince my dad to let me put an extension cord across the roof.

Back