Looking for a new 55" TV... any advice appreciated.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Panasonic viera 50" plasma and I love it. I had a Phillips 48" LCD i took it back cause the picture looked like a home video and I hated it. My plasma is 720P the LCD was 1080p and I still prefer the plasma. The LCD was better for gaming though I will admit that. Last night I saw the first sign of what some may consider burn in. The woman was watching new moon and it had the black bars on top and bottom. The volume bar is bright white and got messed with a lot during the movie. Well when I turned it off I noticed I could faintly see it but I ran the anti image retention scrolling bar and in one pass it was gone.

I am pretty sure all cable/satellite providers only spit out 720p the only way to get full 1080 is through blu ray I believe. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
That may have been related to some of the settings, that is if your talking about the motion looking not right. Commonly referred too as "soap opera effect".

I can make mine feel/look that way if I turn on the 120hz processing. As it is, I just have that setting off and it looks great. Quick enough to keep up with sports as well. Watched a bit of football and hockey in HD today...

hmm. Well that would have been nice to know lol. Oh well I am pretty happy with my plasma and it was $400 cheaper and 2" bigger and a better brand so what can I ask for right?

Yeah, for as much as we use ours and as non-attentive as my wife is, I was afraid of plasma due to burn in on non-hd/wide screen channels. LCD is much less likely to have that issue.

I see what people mean about the "blacks" on a LCD with CFL, but really, compared to my old rear projection, the blacks on the LCD are better and far more refined.

Be it as it may, it would be nice to be able to dim the back light a hair more than the auto-calibrate does. Unfortunately, to do so I have to shut off the auto-calibrate and that's a feature I really like. Considering my wife is a chronic migraine sufferer, I had installed dimmable lights in every room and blacked out window curtains for every room for her "bad" days. Having a TV that dims itself based on ambient light is a really nice feature for us.

Tried a new cat5 cable and it still doesn't seem to work... have a thread in a av forum about it, so hopefully someone will come up with something. If not, no biggie. Would be cool to use the BR player to it's fullest though.

With my router being about the same distance, Olds, I decided to use an Apple Airport Express as a bridge from wireless to an ethernet connection for my BluRay.

I brought the BRP into my office and hooked it up to a 19" crt I have in here and used a cable that's going to my backup PC. Plugged it in, turned it on, went to the menu, auto-config... connected!

Stupid cable... The guy at work said he made it the "standard network pinout". The short cable that works is a "straight through" cable.

I'll be picking up a set of crimpers and RJ45 ends tomorrow at lunch...

Back