looking for a hydro boat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyke_696

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok I'm looking to get into a new hydroplane gas or nitro boat but idk where to look or what is good I looked at a few and one i liked is no longer made the 1/12 scale miss bud wiser but can anyone help me in this I'm looking less that 500$ and for a boat of that style

Scale don't matter but i would like it to be around the 1/10 scale area in size wise

Here's a real beauty, and it's 32" long.

http://www.amain.com/aquacraft-u-18...ZOJHWxgXcJx3djw898kwTG-osa6QzZRW0IaAiqu8P8HAQ

This one is just over 4 FEET long, but it's a gasoline 2 stroke engine.
http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-12001-c...18HVEmxoKjFY2UV2meY_KRubwczACN-P88aAmpA8P8HAQ
eed-racing-fiberglass-hydro-x1-26cc-gas-powered-artr-almost-ready-to-run-hydroplane-speed-boat-1.gif

Ty man for those question if u know do they usuly competition race these ? If so what size and engine type usuly

Ya I like the look of the gas powered one more at the same time idk if gas will be better go me over nitro either

Last edited:
As far as what engines that they race with, check in your local area for clubs that race and see what they have to say. Maybe @Ron Olson would know?

Got ya ty I think I'm gunna go with one of the ones from nitrorcx

Sorry Rolex but that's not a good boat. It's slow and handles poorly.
The ProBoat Miss Bud is tail-heavy and wasn't that good either as they had only limited space to cram everything inside.
Your best bet is to go with the AquaCraft Deuce. It's roomy and if you want to race, competitive as in the IMPBA there is a Ready-To-Run class. The boat itself has to stay basically stock but you can run any prop that you wish and your choice of radio system if you don't like the supplied one. Swap out the stock prop for an Octura Y-535/3 or AquaCraft's Grimracer prop. Open up the rear of the turbine tube for better air flow which is legal to do. The rear wing must also stay attached for racing. There's one race that I attend and you'll see people from kids to seasoned racers running them.

No problem. With his budget all he'd be able to get is a smaller nitro boat.
With if he does want to end up by racing it from what I read, he would be greatly out-classed with a 25 MPH boat in a 50-70 MPH class.
ProBoat had the Miss Bud in gas and nitro versions but had to quit making those when Anheuser-Busch pulled their sponsorship a few years ago with Bernie Little's team so also any other related items. The Elam and LLumar boats weren't good sellers either.

I haven't been in here for a while but I'll try to make more visits in the future. I'm far from being an expert but have been around the block a few times.

I was hoping you'd chime in, Ron. Like Rolex said, you're our "go to" guy for boats.

Thanks guys for the vote of confidence. I know my way somewhat around nitro and gas boats, just don't ask me about electrics as I'm lost there. I like the noise and frustration.:D

ok so you think not to go with an exceed boat so with that case what do you think is my personal best bet Ron Olson like i said i like the ones with the front support wings but as well i guess its not a make or break deal so what do you think i shoud go with i do plan to race and so long as its gas or nitro idc but i dont want electric

Also what scale is most common hydro 1/8? I see a company called rc boat company that makes kits grant it will take me more cash but the money I have for it right now will be good to get the hull

There's a few companies that make 1/8-scale boats but keep in mind that by the you're done you have have $1,600.00 or more wrapped up in a competitive one.
RC Boat Company seems to have some good ones. There's also RC Marine Designs (Phil Thomas) and Mike at http://mlboatworksrc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=38&zenid=ca4e751beba43067ec8bd9a808d4f770 who sells framing kits. Besides the obvious things like an engine, exhaust, radio gear and hardware there's the little things that also run the finished cost up. A decal set can run up to $120.00 or so (seriously!). There's also the Sport 20 and Sport 40 classes where the prices aren't too bad but still not cheap. They don't require the high amount of detail that the 1/8-scale boats require.
Consider if you race in 1/8-scale that the boat has to be registered in your district. Let's just say for kicks that you want a Miss Budweiser paint scheme. There were quite a few over the years but still they only want to see one particular one on the water. If someone in your district already has one then you're kinda outta luck, they're anal that way.

I'll go back and hit the Exceed boat again. They're poor copies of the ProBoat Miss Bud's and theirs wasn't that good in the first place. They have cheap weedeater engines with a water jacket adapted. Like I said earlier, they're really slow. Handling is poor because of where the engines are placed as they're tail-heavy, basically a flat-bottomed boat with sponsons.

I've got an idea that you've never driven any kind of hydroplane before. If not there are launching and driving techniques that you must know. You can simply drop them in the water and hit the throttle otherwise you're not going anywhere. They require an underhand toss to help get them going. Once they're rolling you must keep them up to speed, not full-throttle but enough to keep them up on plane.

Got ya and ya I have not done hydro b4 and ty for that bit of info

Many of the boats will use a lifting prop that helps to raise the rear of the boat up and out of the water. For instance, an 1/8-scale hydro might use an Octura 1457 prop as opposed to a X-457 which is not a lifting prop. Seeing how it's a lifting prop, they're more prone to cavitation at low speeds or on the launch so more boaters are going back to the non-lifters.

Maybe it would be good to each around for casual play and the lifter for racing ? But ya I'm thinking I'm gunna go with the rc boat company's first boat on the page

Not to mention i can always make modifications tomy boat if needed as i work with fiberflass and carbonfiber semi often for automotive uses

A lot of the racers are now opting to go with the no-lift prop. It just makes them easier all the way around to drive. Playing with props is part of the game anyway as you have to find out which one(s) the boat likes. Most can only give you a good starting point. It might be the prop but then again, maybe not.

Good point now last question b4 I get started for competition races I know it may verry but still for the general do you have to have a replica of a real boat or can you make up your own by that I meen would I need to use say miss budwiser or could imake one up like say miss evga gaming