Looking for a good 17" boat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
We now have a small pond not 50' from my back door. So I am looking to get my kiddo a small boat or two to go out there and chase some frogs. It needs to be fast, and I am trying not to have to order it from China because his b-day will be coming up less than two weeks after I get paid. Any good suggestions? Been watching vids, but none of the ones in stock seem too impressive. Looking at the Pro Boat React. I might grab that one.

Horizon has this 17" V-hull on sale right now. They're decent and fun little boats and they're pretty fast on 3s (almost too fast, it's better on 2s in most cases). https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/17-power-boat-racer-self-righting-deep-v-rtr/PRB08044.html

They also have the little jet boat on sale (https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...lf-righting-deep-v-jet-boat-rtr/PRB08045.html). I just picked one up but haven't driven it yet, but it seems like it'll be a fun little ripper.
I just saw thst after posting this. I think I might grab the first one. The jet boat looks a little slow.

I just saw thst after posting this. I think I might grab the first one. The jet boat looks a little slow.
Yeah, I got it to run in the pool, it's probably too small and light to run in a pond.

Been looking at this. Heavy dew here in Housotn, so can run it on the grass too.

At 25x10in, it is a bit bigger than what you specify. Thought I'd throw it in the mix for grins. Cheers. 'AC'

Air Boat

Look on eBay it’s not that hard

Been looking at this. Heavy dew here in Housotn, so can run it on the grass too.

At 25x10in, it is a bit bigger than what you specify. Thought I'd throw it in the mix for grins. Cheers. 'AC'

Air Boat
Yeah, that one is probably just a tad big. The pond we have here is about the size of 3 or 4 above ground pools. But it has a drainage ditch that is like a long runway. Just not sure if we could turn an air boat that big around in it. But the 17" ones should be able to handle it, with maybe one reverse move needed when the water is low.
Look on eBay it’s not that hard
Nope, not buying something off ebay. Been there, done that. Never again, unless I get some good recommendations for something there.

Lol ur good you know everything.

Horizon has this 17" V-hull on sale right now. They're decent and fun little boats and they're pretty fast on 3s (almost too fast, it's better on 2s in most cases). https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/17-power-boat-racer-self-righting-deep-v-rtr/PRB08044.html

They also have the little jet boat on sale (https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...lf-righting-deep-v-jet-boat-rtr/PRB08045.html). I just picked one up but haven't driven it yet, but it seems like it'll be a fun little ripper.
Might have to pick me up a jet boat never had a rc boat before but I like the looks and the price so maybe

Looks like a fun boat.
I want to get into boats but I want a large gas boat.

Kevin, July 2022 digital issue of RCCA hit my inbox today. It has a review of the Pro Boat SonicWake V2. A bit pricey at $420 USD. Might be worth a look to compare specs against what you are looking to buy. Cheers. 'AC'

Kevin, July 2022 digital issue of RCCA hit my inbox today. It has a review of the Pro Boat SonicWake V2. A bit pricey at $420 USD. Might be worth a look to compare specs against what you are looking to buy. Cheers. 'AC'
That is a 36" boat. We need a really small boat. The one I linked above is brushless, and has killer reviews. Here it is in action. FFWD to 7:00. Even this little boat may be a bit much for the pond we have here.