Looking for a 1/10 electric touring car kit to build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boondala

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for a 1/10 electric touring car to build, with a firm $800 budget. I have tools, grease, oil, Tx/Rx, etc.. Just need a chassis, drivetrain, motor, esc, servo, wheels and tires. I have 4x 2s LiPos, and not getting more.

I don’t know enough to be able compare Kyosho kit xxx to Xray kit xxx to Tekno kit xxx. I want a car I can enjoy building, challenging, but not worried about using it for setting records, drifting, or racing. Just want to tear up empty parking lots. I have no idea what kind of body I will end up putting on this chassis. (anyone know where I can get a 1968 Buick Riviera body??)

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Serpent Medius X20'21
Yokomo BD10

Leaves you about $220-ish for:
  • 540 Motor & ESC
  • Steering Servo
  • TC Tires, Wheels
  • 190mm TC Body & Polycarbonate Paint
might put you over that $800 a bit but not to much depending on what you pick for electronics but most of the other stuff I see are cheap sub $250 Tamiya, MSt kits, or kits that are on back order.

Heres a Yokomo BD9 for $450

Last edited:
Welcome!

For the Buick, a 3d print would be the best bet. They do have a clear 87 grand national, and the fender flare kit for it all out of lexan.

Hpi racing has some assortment of 190mm and 200mm. Kyosho has bodies also, 70 chevelle comes to find

Welcome!

For the Buick, a 3d print would be the best bet. They do have a clear 87 grand national, and the fender flare kit for it all out of lexan.

Hpi racing has some assortment of 190mm and 200mm. Kyosho has bodies also, 70 chevelle comes to find
Thank you. Glad to be here.

I have Kyosho’s El Camino, Z28, and the GTO. I love buzzing around with them!! I had a Riviera growing up, thought it might be fun. I will look for one.

Attachments

• B0E8286E-1956-4E3B-B9E2-90BED736664C.jpeg
    B0E8286E-1956-4E3B-B9E2-90BED736664C.jpeg
    564.8 KB · Views: 74
Forgot to say Welcome to RCT! lol

If you really dont want to go over the $800 mark and you want high end electronics Id got for the Yokomo BD9. Yokomo makes top end kits and at $450 leaves plenty in the budget for quality electronics

Serpent Medius X20'21
Yokomo BD10

Leaves you about $220-ish for: might put you over that $800 a bit but not to much depending on what you pick for electronics but most of the other stuff I see are cheap sub $250 Tamiya, MSt kits, or kits that are on back order.
  • 540 Motor & ESC
  • Steering Servo
  • TC Tires, Wheels
@Boondala Is that the Gmade doublecab next to your Trailrunner?
Yup, it is.

Edit- Wow. There is no love for Gmade on this site. Drop me a line. Will be happy to talk about the Komodo!!

Last edited:
Serpent Medius X20'21
Yokomo BD10

Leaves you about $220-ish for:
  • 540 Motor & ESC
  • Steering Servo
  • TC Tires, Wheels
might put you over that $800 a bit but not to much depending on what you pick for electronics but most of the other stuff I see are cheap sub $250 Tamiya, MSt kits, or kits that are on back order.

I thought about getting the Tamiya TC-01, nice kit, but there is way too little space in there for my first build. It is a Tamiya kit, though. Not always exciting, but always worth the money.

I have decided to go with the Yokomo BD10. I might have to wait a couple more months, but that’s okay. I can keep looking, but I don’t I can find a better kit for the money.

Thank you, guys, for the input!!

Edit- Budget increased to $1k, but that’s it!! I mean it.

PS- should I start a separate thread for the electronics, then the wheels and tires??

I thought about getting the Tamiya TC-01, nice kit, but there is way too little space in there for my first build. It is a Tamiya kit, though. Not always exciting, but always worth the money.

I have decided to go with the Yokomo BD10. I might have to wait a couple more months, but that’s okay. I can keep looking, but I don’t I can find a better kit for the money.

Thank you, guys, for the input!!

Edit- Budget increased to $1k, but that’s it!! I mean it.

PS- should I start a separate thread for the electronics, then the wheels and tires??
This thread, separate thread, doesn't really mater I dont think. If your gonna buy a top shelf kit then Id buy some top shelf Tekin electronics to go in it and a fast savox servo.

>>>

Looking for a 1/10 electric touring car kit to build​

The last 1/10 kit I assembled was the Mach Gogogo with the TA05 ver.II chassis.
Bought off eBay. New in box and still had the original shrink-wrap.

The cons:
-The parts are in those parts grids - need to be cut out.
-Twisted arrow in the assembly booklet. The twisted arrow is most shown when building the diff assemblies, but is very very hard to notice.

The Pros:
-Finish product is top notch

Final thoughts....
If you decide to go with a Tamiya Kit, do your homework and research the different chassis. Hindsight is 20/20 and with that in mind now, I really should have just bought a kit with the TT02 chassis. TA05 is sweet, but just way more than I need for what I use it for.

Last edited:
>>>

Looking for a 1/10 electric touring car kit to build​

The last 1/10 kit I assembled was the Mach Gogogo with the TA05 ver.II chassis.
Bought off eBay. New in box and still had the original shrink-wrap.

The cons:
-The parts are in those parts grids - need to be cut out.
-Twisted arrow in the assembly booklet. The twisted arrow is most shown when building the diff assemblies, but is very very hard to notice.

The Pros:
-Finish product is top notch

Final thoughts....
If you decide to go with a Tamiya Kit, do your homework and research the different chassis. Hindsight is 20/20 and with that in mind now, I really should have just bought a kit with the TT02 chassis. TA05 is sweet, but just way more than I need for what I use it for.
Depends on what version of the tt02.
There's at least 3 different tt02
Tt02 type sr
Tt-02 drift
Tt-02 rr

I bought a plain jane Tt-02. Only positive was the "rare red chassis " and mazda 3 body but I have stuck about 120$ in upgrades to make it worth my wild. Not including the mamba x 4600kv system.
Kind of wish I bought the s or rr and went from there.

Back