Looking at switching my radio gear to FM....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvickj

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
I have been looking at switching my radio gear on my T-Maxx and my RS4 to FM. In my mailbox today was the montly TowerHobbies magazine and on the front page was the Futuba 3PDF-X 3-Channel FM Radio. From the picture it looks like a nice unit and it has a 3-model memory. Now if I remember correctly this means I can use this radio on three different RC's correct? In order to do what would I have to buy? Just an FM receiver? The only downfall I see is that this is just the radio and receiver. No servos. Will I have to buy different servos too? What are your thoughts about this radio? Would you suggest a different one? TIA.

-JR

Are you gonna be racing? Or bashing with anyone else with fm?

My opion is you can't go wrong with futaba

well a lil of both....bashing with the T and doing some racing with friends at the local LHS with the RS4. Nothing too serious. Will I still have to worry about frequency problems with FM radios? Anyway around that?

Well thats the thing man FM or AM they both have frenquencys
If you plan on racing then What I would suggest if you have the money is a modulated system. I just ordered tonight my new JR XS3 which for the money in my opion is one of the best deals out right now. I had a xr2 before and it was a great radio. I just sold a hitec lynx I had that was synthisized because I didn't like the feel of it.

IF you have the money check this out http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/articles/1191.asp its what I have on the way and it comes with a couple pretty good servos also . One of them is a metal geared with 85 oz which I think is plenty for a GT Or car becasue they are smaller and lighter than MT. Anyway thats my take or if you got lots of money then go highend Futaba synthized rich dudes like Christian can afford that stuff not me. If you get the radio I listed that mean NO crystals. Then you can just add recivers to your other vehicls... X

I run the Lynx 3D by HiTec. It is a crystal free radio set with up to ten model memory. Get it with the Spectra module and corresponding receiver and you are set to roam anywhere in the 75MHz FM band. It does not come with any servos, but I buy my servos separately as a matter of course. This is a pricey set-up, but loaded with features. If you go this route and are in to buying RTR RC models, then all you need to do is buy an XXtra receiver by Novak (around $100).

Anyway, here's the link to my radio:
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Radios/lynx3Dxtra.htm