looking at 1.1 boats to buy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergoff

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well after our trip to Minocqua WI this summer we've realized that we need a larger and faster boat. Our son loves to tube and I want to learn how to ski. I've been looking on craigslist in a 250 mile range and all I find is older boats that need a lot of work. Well I found a 19ft 2005 Tahoe q4 that has low hours but has some minor flaws. They bought the boat new and after a few years they realized that boating wasn't for them. The cover went bad and leaked leaf water onto the carpet and stained it. The graphics are faded on the front and the bimini top needs a cover boot. It has a 4.3 i/o that looks clean. I haven't heard it run. I don't want to show them that I'm super interested until after labor day weekend. So I can make my offer. Nada is 11-10k and buc is way lower 8k. He's asking $12500 I don't want to offend him and go to low but he said they want to move back to VA. And the cover and bimini top boot will cost $350 and it don't have a spare tire.
tahoe.jpg

IMO for that kinda cash I would keep lookin. The work you have to put into it far exceeds the value he thinks he has. If your not looking to buy 1 to use this season than wait till a couple weeks after the holiday and I'm sure you can get a great deal

The greatest deals on boats are ALWAYS in the fall. In his case, since they're moving, I'm sure you'll be able to cut a good deal. Just point out everything you need to repair or replace, then make your offer.
DO NOT buy it till you hear it run.

Nah he wants way too much and it needs a lot of work. I'd pass, shop around some and wait it out. You'll find the best deals in the fall or dead of winter.

get some VERY VERY good insurance. get MORE than you thing you need. and make a family rule, ONLY FAMILY CAN DRIVE IT!!!!! and learn and follow ALL the operational rules.

+1, Moe. Try a Coast Guard power squadron course.

I wish I had the means right now I'd love a good pontoon boat or party bardge.

Where I live boats seem to go for more than nada prices. We've been looking for a few months actually. I want a 2005 or newer because my interest rate will be 4.99 if I go a year older it jumps to 8. I made it sound worse than it is. The hull doesn't have a single scratch in it. And the lower unit looks great.

I've been boating for a few years and this wont be my first ski boat. My first one I inherited from my dad. It was a 1972 sea ray with a 120hp mercury 6cyl that used so much gas it wasn't funny. The transom went bad and I didn't want to fix it so I sold it.

The last time I looked at it I asked what the families bottom dollar was and he wouldn't tell me. But said to stop back after the holiday and well talk. And I pointed out that I'm in the drivers seat if they really want to sell it.

We're going to shop around today in Dubuque and see what we can find.

as all ways Hamz has the best ideas. but here in wichita our so called lakes, are small enough to through a rock across them. it would be great to be able to really go some where.

I had to take a course before I could drive a boat I rented from the Army's MWR at Milford Lake near Ft. Riley. It really helps you learn which end of the boat goes where.

Mastio holy crap that's huge. We went to a few shops this weekend. I was shocked at their prices. The farther north I look the prices get higher. My pontoon is almost sold on craigslist. A guy is driving 3.5hrs to look at it Wednesday. What's funny is a car salesman will try to sell you anything and a boat salesman will talk you out of it. We were looking at a 22ft crownline that was great he asked how deep were my pockets and I said I can afford it. He then said it uses 4-6 gallons of fuel an hr and to look at something else. You'll never see that on a car lot. He must not work on commission.

Well I bought a boat tonight. I picked up a clean 1996 17' starcraft with a 125hp mariner. Its super clean and runs great. It came with new cover, skis, tube, new prop, and sun shade top. Heading out to the Mississippi on Monday for a nice boat trip. I'll try to post pics tomorrow if its not raining.

Awesome, I'm looking for a boat as well. Something like a mix between a fishing boat and a pleasure craft as well as a beater truck to tow it, don't want to tow a boat with '08 civic lol. I plan on buying in the fall or winter though.

2012-09-01_10-46-51_18.jpg
We're hitting the water tomorrow I hope. Having transmission issues with my truck so trying to get my hitch in the rusty receiver on our jeep.

Back