local track is electric only but...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mtx1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So where i live they opened up track, it is 2 tracks one dirt and one asphalt . I know they run sc trucks but i have nitro trucks. I was going to sell my sc10gt and put it towards a savage. From what i understand its roar legal rules and they do have a mod class etc. I really can not go and put upwards of a 1000 in to racing but i uderstand spare parts, extra tries etcc.I found 2s batteries for 32 and a charger for 50.00 ( i heard like a hour or so to charge a 7.4 4000 pack)so that is not my issue or less you guys say i need like 2 or more batteries. See i do not get out much with my on going health issues so for me to spend some time getting out when i can and race or just practice i thought this would be good for me. I did some searching to get going with a 4000 30c 7.4 pack /charger and a exceed rally monster 4wd truck that is 2.4 and brushless would be in the range of 300.00. Now i know a extra battery and different tires will be only a good idea but will have me in the 400 range. Not really a lot of money put towards racing so i want to know based on not really being able to get all the spare parts, and even a solid rtr or kit is it worth it for me to give this a try? I think if i go in to it just to get out of the house i can take my truck and do some practice but i might get kinda pissed as i will not be able to take part in the racing. I do want to add exceed would limit me to the internet for parts so any brake down at the track if i do go ahead and try to race it would leave me done for the day. Oh yea if it helps it does cost to race for the day which is 20 and then 10 for each other class . I heard in the spring/summer they might do a off road outside nitro track. I am kinda torn i was thinking this could be fun and good for me but the money part really limits what i can do. looks like all they run is traxxas and sc10 trucks there.

---------- Post added at 5:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:20 PM ----------

links to the battery i want to run and charger
battery http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-4000-2s1p-hardcase.html
charger http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
one question on this set up , battery is bullet and the charger is bullet right? charger says dean does not come with set up? The esc on the exceed from what i can tell looks like a non dean connecter just based on the stock 3000 mah pack is not dean .

Last edited:
huh, i want to race but not sure if going half ass is worth my time and money.

I don't think you want to race with an exceed vehicle. Definitely not without a bunch of spare parts.

Any thing you race,you want to have some spares on hand. The heat of competition makes you drive harder and combine that with other racers on the track,well things get broke!

Try the Associated SC-10 RTR instead of the Exceed. It's a decent rig that isn't too badly priced. It also has parts readily available.

Last edited:
I don't think you want to race with an exceed vehicle. Definitely not without a bunch of spare parts.

Any thing you race,you want to have some spares on hand. The heat of competition makes you drive harder and combine that with other racers on the track,well things get broke!

that is what i was thinking, i had the day to think it over i really think my 1k investment would be a good starting point but i just can not keep up with the weekly races and to be honest i really want to stick to nitro. They might do a outdoor track now that is where i can go have some fun. I am sure there will be a monster truck class.

I just got into racing 10th scale short course at my local track for something to do in the winter time. I run an associated sc10 RS and it's a great truck. Here's what my friend got and is doing great with it plus some racing tires:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDGMR&P=SM.

He also added another battery pack:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVHP&P=V

He's ready to race and is competitive with a great truck with it being under 500. He has a Redcat but they won't let him race it there. It takes about an hour to charge a battery but he has enough time between practice, the first heat, second heat and then the main by having two batteries.

I don't see the need to invest $1000 to getting started in racing, unless you're the type of guy that needs the best of everything. Judging by the fact that you would buy an exceed I don't think you are.
I would just go with the SC10, a couple of lipos and a decent lipo charger, that should keep you under $600 easy.
For great lipos at good price try SMC, for a charger there is lots of options nowadays at pretty good price points. You just need to decide what you want in a charger.

I forgot a better set of tires so it would probably put you over $600 but still nowhere near $1000.

I work in home care, and I always say to my clients (well those that are capable) "you should try and get out of the house more often". The ones that end up doing it always tell me that it feels so much better, and it builds their confidence up and they don't feel as depressed anymore. This is just from simple walks, and going out to the store, so imagine what partaking in a hobby you throughly enjoy would do for you if you could go out and do it more and with people that enjoy it as much as you do.

Last edited:
I don't see the need to invest $1000 to getting started in racing, unless you're the type of guy that needs the best of everything. Judging by the fact that you would buy an exceed I don't think you are.
I would just go with the SC10, a couple of lipos and a decent lipo charger, that should keep you under $600 easy.
For great lipos at good price try SMC, for a charger there is lots of options nowadays at pretty good price points. You just need to decide what you want in a charger.

I forgot a better set of tires so it would probably put you over $600 but still nowhere near $1000.

I work in home care, and I always say to my clients (well those that are capable) "you should try and get out of the house more often". The ones that end up doing it always tell me that it feels so much better, and it builds their confidence up and they don't feel as depressed anymore. This is just from simple walks, and going out to the store, so imagine what partaking in a hobby you throughly enjoy would do for you if you could go out and do it more and with people that enjoy it as much as you do.
i just threw out 1k but fore me i do not have 600 or 700 and the 20-40.00 each sunday. I want to do it but after going over the start up cost my family thought it would not work out. Its cool i can still aim to get a savage and hit the local parks. I would love to race but its just to much

---------- Post added at 1:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:46 PM ----------

I just got into racing 10th scale short course at my local track for something to do in the winter time. I run an associated sc10 RS and it's a great truck. Here's what my friend got and is doing great with it plus some racing tires:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDGMR&P=SM.

He also added another battery pack:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVHP&P=V

He's ready to race and is competitive with a great truck with it being under 500. He has a Redcat but they won't let him race it there. It takes about an hour to charge a battery but he has enough time between practice, the first heat, second heat and then the main by having two batteries.
i like that truck, for charger/battery i found some roar legal ones that i would rather have. thanks

You don't need $600 - $700 to get an SC10 to be race ready. Buy the RTR SC10RS, tear it down and go over everything and put actual diff fluid in the diff, replace the crappy stock steering servo and you're good to go for under $400. I raced one all last year, with only those mods, RPM bumpers, and an aftermarket steering rack and it's been pretty much bomb proof. Including a full speed head on hit to a stake holding the pipe along the track that somehow was inside rather than outside the pipe. But, I do understand budget constraints also.

You don't need $600 - $700 to get an SC10 to be race ready. Buy the RTR SC10RS, tear it down and go over everything and put actual diff fluid in the diff, replace the crappy stock steering servo and you're good to go for under $400. I raced one all last year, with only those mods, RPM bumpers, and an aftermarket steering rack and it's been pretty much bomb proof. Including a full speed head on hit to a stake holding the pipe along the track that somehow was inside rather than outside the pipe. But, I do understand budget constraints also.

I will see if i can get my sc10gt sold then just go and put that money and get next's money with it. If i could show up with a solid truck, 2 batteries, a budget but good charger and maybe a full set of tires just to see what works on there track i would be happy. I know they have a dirt track , i would think its hard and they have another track but i am up in the air whats up down there. I think tomorrow i will go and just see what track they race on an ask what tires/foams are used. I know after that if i can just get my batteries/charger in order it comes down to how i drive. I know i like to hold tight turns so a better steering servo will be my best bet. See when i use to race i would get in a grove no lie i would just see my self in the rc and race like a mad man. I was pretty good, my last race was 1/8th nitro buggies and the guys at work did not think i could hold my own. So about 8 of use built a bs on road track in a open kmart parking lot and i just held that in side and never gave it up . My issue is getting on a new track and learning the weak spots as where most of these guys have 2 months on the track. I did read there all ways fixing there track. It is in door and and the turns do not look wide enough to have more then 4 sc hit it at the same time. I bet some one is hitting the wall lol. I did read no more kids as marshals , i think they follow roar rules and they do charge so i agree with having kids away from the track.Now this is would be for the main event for paid racers. I was told the sc10 series is what is raced and any one that shows up they tell them to get a kit/rtr to get going. I think my edge is i use to race and i know my tires/foams can cause me to be the lead dog or just fitting to stay on the track. I heard tires where not sticking and there working on that. They run 2s and brushless so that will be new to me.

I know they run like 4 different classes there

Last edited:
I know they run like 4 different classes there

Yeah i called them, i all ways seen the sign. I guess they got things going around x mass i think. I talked with one guy he said no indoor nitro . I asked about a out door track he said they are working on it. I forgot the guy's name but sounds like he has a Sc10 and that is the main truck ran there. I was told they are HOBBY store so they do have parts. I guess i should go there see what they run and the part support they have. I want to see how true they are to roar rules, i do not want to show up and be like well your ride is sitting to low etc. I checked there facebook page looks like they do not wan marshals to be kids that have no idea what there doing. I guess the first few months was a trial run which i think is good idea. They posted they are working on the tracks There is 2 from what i read and it sounds cool. I just am not sure i can back out of the nitro stuff i got going. Then invest x amount of money as some of you said 400-600 should be a good starting point. My issue is some of these guys know the track and i would hate to lose do to a weak spot on a corner or a double that is not built right. I know they rent rc's so that is a option for me to go there. i know they let people come on down and get a few laps in i just wonder if i get there can i spend the day to learn the track? My family thinks it is a good idea but i told them when i raced as a kid we put a lot of time and money in to it. I would spend upwards of 12 hours at the track. I know you have to help, you have to keep the track you run going. I guess most guys buy from them for me i am cool with that but if its 40-50.00 for a pair of tires that is hard for me to buy. I know i can go on line and get the same set for 30-35.00 to my door with in a few days. I had that issue in the past the local track owner did not like i was buying parts online .

Last edited:
If and this is a big if i can sell my sc10gt i can get going. Some one who races please go over this for me . My issue is will i get enough time on the upgraded battery i will post a link for that? Or should i pick up another wolfpack batteryt? I get a 3000 2s 25c pack with the kit , i was thinking keeping all the same packs so i get the same run each time and really how many packs do i need with the charger taking about a hour to get a battery charged up ? This month its like 390 with savings i might have to wait to next month so i am still thinking 390-410 range. That would be a stock truck and no spear parts with extra battery and what ever the rtr comes with.
battery- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBAKN&P=0
truck rtr - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBVKU&P=0
charger- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAYRZ&P=V

Last edited:
You can do a great racing setup for $500. That's with speed Passion and a savox servo. I did that with my SC10.2 to get rolling. Now that is also without radio and Rx. When getting started in a hobby I believe you can go kit or rtr and still have fun. I love building kits but I'm also an engineer. A couple of my friends hate building and want to go race right now so they are rtr or bnd type of guys. I hope the best for you and let us know what you decided on.