Live coverage of the final shuttle launch.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was kinda boring... lol. not a single hickup. flawless as usual.

I missed it too. Next/last one is in july....Be a good thing for kids to watch so they can say they saw a launch....

yep we have one more to go. then thats it.

If you go to the NASA link in the first post, you can still watch the tracking screens.
How long after the next launch does the new program start?

If you go to the NASA link in the first post, you can still watch the tracking screens.

what new program? :\

Come on now. We have companies to bail out and foreign countries to subsidize.:shrug:

I want them to continue working on Hubble and other in orbit satalites. I find everything they see up there extremely fascinating.

If your into that, the Nova DVD (2 part) called Telescope: Hunting The Edge Of Space, is very very good. Runs like $25 on nova/pbs. I bought it right after seeing it on pbs. The images are truly unbelievable.

quick and dirty

bush said "lets go to mars!!". His plan was outlined basically to go back to the moon, and build a base/refuel station. then use this as a hop to get out to farther targets. a large meteor, and then mars.

nasa takes bids for new vehicle. Lockheed wins and it is dubbed "CEV" or Orion. The "new" vehicle is very similar to apollo, in its capsule design. We begin building it, run into issues with the heavy lift rocket. lots of stuff are over budget and behind schedule (duh its the government). Obamaman comes along, and says "WTF is this?" He then single handedly all but shut down nasa. congress fought his budgets until nasa had at least a little money.

so here is the "plan"

1 keep developing Orion, but only the capsule. Deliver it to ISS to be used as an escape pod.

2 eventually, someday, travel back to the moon, and eventually try for mars, but not using any of the stuff we have now. Obama basically told us, this is what i want to do, but i dont know how we are going to do it.

3 use large portions of NASA's budget to invest in private companies like space-x and virgin. Use them to do the "lightweight" stuff which will free up nasa to work on new technology for # 2.

4 in the mean time depend on russia to ferry our guys to and from ISS as well as there unmanned lift to take supplies.

here is why i have a problem with it all.

1 we are the most powerful country in the world, no exception, yet we will have no way at all to travel to space.

2 the private companies will never be able to do what nasa does, with the effecientcy and skill. plus who is going to insure anything some guy built in his garage that is supposed to travel to the ISS, and who the heck would climb inside it and go?

3 we are laying off people left and right, people that have been in space science for many years. once they move on, that knowledge is gone. they arent going to want to come back in 5 years when we decide to go again.

4 Not having a defined goal, and a plan to achieve it is a real moral killer...

5 have you SEEN the russian capsule? it looks like a church bell someone drug out of a river and set on fire. Those guys are crazy.

Yes that is a divot in the ground. it uses a land landing instead of water. THUMP

undock19_1.jpg

There are many people who are very upset about all this. Then the icing on the cake, we (houston/johnson space center) dont get one of the shuttles after they are retired.

It's too bad we are going backwards. You're right, we are a superpower, with no access to space. My bad, we have access, we just have to get it from other countries. Akin to a Chevy dealer asking a Ford dealer to give him a ride to the mall. I wasn't all that fond of going back to the capsule-on-a-missile idea anyway. That's just going in reverse. We need a shuttle type vehicle, and we need to develop new launch technology. It's amazing how fast technology is moving. When you buy a brand new, top of the line computer, it's outdated before the store puts it on the shelf, yet we are flying 30 year old shuttles, and the only plan we have to replace them was the warhead-type that we started with.

What needs to happen. Get the politicians out of NASA. Set a budget, increase it incrementally over time, and give no congressional jurisdiction over it. What will eventually happen if we don't, is that a president will get elected who believes we don't need a space program at all, and he/she will begin the process to phase it out.

Also, we need to promote private space travel! Believe me, that is the best thing that could happen to the industry. Private companies are about competition. If Space X can build a hotel on the moon, before NASA can even get back to the moon, how would that hinder anything? Put stiff regulations on safety, and it will work.

the reason for going back to the capsule was because it was proven technology used to land on the moon. you can't land the shuttle on the moon, and the shuttle would have a hard time getting there (its a long trip) on the fuel it can carry. The capsule would be able to carry a lander similar to apollo, and they can use the heavy lift of the aries V to get materials up there as well.

AresFamily.jpg

yes, those are the same solid rocket boosters the shuttle uses now. the aries iv and v are HUGE.

Wow! Do they still fit in the same assembly building as the Saturn V?
I seem to remember that the building was 30 stories when I was in there, 30 stories being about 270 feet, and the Ares IV an V are closer to 350.

Last edited:
everyone has seen tall office buildings and stuff. what impressed me is this is open on the inside. you stand at the bottom and can look up and see alllll the way to the top. its mind blowing.

I've been in there, and you can't grasp the concept of it's height by looking up.
I still want a set of those doors for my garage. :D

here are a few shots from when i went to the VAB

DSC00897-1024.jpg

DSC00898-1024.jpg

DSC00902-1024.jpg

DSC00905-1024.jpg

DSC00908-1024.jpg

DSC00914-1024.jpg

DSC00919-1024.jpg

DSC00921-1024.jpg

DSC00935-1024.jpg

Back