Little help with tuning... Savy XL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igororlic

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi people,

Yesterday I ran my XL for a couple of tanks (that would be 7th and 8th tank since brand new) and first tank was all good with shifts into 3rd gear so the next tank I was leaning the HSN in 1/8 turns then in third tank I began leaning LSN and something obviously went wrong because car startet to sputter with a lot of smoke unable to shift into third and with idle kigher than usual.
I can't precisely say which needle I adjusted and when after sputtering occured, I guess I was touching both LSN and HSN. But these are the latest symptoms: car sputters in 2nd gear I believe, there is more smoke then should be, it's unabe to go faster to shift into third. I have no idea which needle should I try to adjust first HSN or LSN...

Any suggestions highly appreciated

Cheers

If it idles then start with the HSN. Lean it out 1/16th and try again, you should see a little change straight away. If you do then go another 1/16th.
Of course if you know what the factory settings were then go back to that first. But I believe your HSN is the problem.

I agree, you need to lean out your HSN, turn it clockwise 1/8th of a turn and then try it. Now be carefull that you are not adjusting the "mid range needle" The new K5.9 has 3 carb needles and the one that is exactly opposite from the LSN is the MSN (mid speed needle,...it is on the same side as the muffler) DO NOT ADJUST THIS NEEDLE AT ALL! If you did, put it back to flush, and start over, make sure you are indeed adjusting the LSN on the same side as the fuel tank, its a black screw.

Let us know how you make out. I have the same motor as you and it runs A+++

When you lean the LSN, idle speed increases. That is normal, just adjust the idle screw to compensate.
8 tanks on it, it's time to put a new glow plug in it. I always throw away the break-in glow plug after 5 tanks of fuel because the excessively rich settings plus the debri from the break-in process weaken the glow plug.
It is hard to say from here but you could have the HSN too rich or too lean. Either way would kill gear shifts/speed.
To be safe richen it back up to where it was working and go from there.

When you lean the LSN, idle speed increases. That is normal, just adjust the idle screw to compensate.
8 tanks on it, it's time to put a new glow plug in it. I always throw away the break-in glow plug after 5 tanks of fuel because the excessively rich settings plus the debri from the break-in process weaken the glow plug.
It is hard to say from here but you could have the HSN too rich or too lean. Either way would kill gear shifts/speed.
To be safe richen it back up to where it was working and go from there.

If you have a weak glow plug, you may have trouble starting it but it would have no effect on the running of the engine. The glow plug has no duty to the running of an engine unless it isn't tight.

I don't understand why you would throw it out if it is still starting the engine?

A worn glow plug will screw with the tune. There has been quite a few times a tuninng issue turned out to be a weak plug.
As far as the throwing out break-in plugs goes, think about it. You are running the engine overly rich during break-in. All that excess fuel does not compress, it is stressing the glow plug element. I just prefer to throw it away and not take the chance of having a weakened element break off inside my new engine.

Back