little assistance on getting an old truck running

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CG1

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a Nitro truck that has been sitting for a couple of years. Two years back it was brand new and my nephew drove it into a lake – I had it repaired at my local hobby shop, it ran ‘ok’ for a few tanks – but then the pull start cord snapped, it must have dry rotted.

I would like to fix the truck up and not sure where to start. I am assuming I can pull the housing apart and fix the cord, I am mechanically minded so if it can be done I am sure I can do it. What else should I do since the car has been sitting all this time ? Also, any tips on repairing the pull cord would be great !

No point in buying a new one if you want to rebuild that one. What truck exactly is it?

No point in buying a new one if you want to rebuild that one. What truck exactly is it?

Yeah, this was around $400 and I am not about to buy a new one just because this one has a broken pull start and has been sitting unsed for a couple years.

I am looking on Ebay for another - but this one is getting fixed.

I can't recall what it is exactly, I will need to check it out tonight and get back to you.

I think the suggestion was to get a new pull cord, not a new truck. For starters, I agree with that. Pull cords do a lot of work, especially when you're trying to get an old mill started.

Hello - oh, get a new pull cord...man did I misinterpret that one !

I am not at all sure what I have – I took a couple pics with my iphone, maybe this will help you out. There doesn’t seem to be any kind of a name on it – like my terra crusher, this is just generic in nature. Can you tell anything by the pictures?

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 145
Dont worry, I misinterpreted his comment too. I have no idea what rig that is, I'm sure someone here will though.

I called Tower Hobbies where I had picked up the Terra Crusher and another the I built with my son. They have no clue and were utterly unhelpful, actually almost insultive since I didn’t know what I owned.

Anyway, I searched ebay for Nitro trucks and there are quiet a few out there that appear similar to this one. Several that say “SMT” on the engine as this one does.

I ordered a new pull cord – since it was only $18. I picked a “Ofna pull start .21 Picco” I have no idea of this engine size so I am guessing. If it doesn’t fit perhaps I can remove the string from this and wind it on the old one – either way, for $18 I don’t really care.

Now – since no one can really help me with identification. Can you assist me in the following perhaps more generic questions:

Cleaning of the car - its been sitting in the basement for 2 years, what should I clean and how? Do I just dump the gas and add new and that’s it?

Terra Crusher – this truck has been sitting for the same time, it stopped working when the electronic starter crapped out. Tower Hobbies told me the starter is discontinued so I do not know how to start it. Does anyone know of a pull start engine I could replace onto this one? Or another alternative? I suspect I need to replace the glow plug as well – how do you know the size and which plug to pick up? I am hoping someone here may know this answer since we know which truck this one is. Thanks !

Edit: From looking at the current ebay auctions, I think this is a Smartech car - there is a 1/6th size "tornado truck" on ebay that I am considering ordering, its built like this one and google searches brings me to a UK site and "smartech" and I *think* this one said Smartech on top of the air intake - I assumed it was a part name and not the car manufacturer name, I'll confirm this evening. If correct this would be a Smartech 25 C engine. Ok - with that in mind, any further advice?

Last edited:
I also should have asked - rather than purchase that 1/6th truck on ebay (its the only one there, so you can easily find it - type Nitro 1/6 and it will come up)

What would you suggest as an alternative purchase?

My desires are to get a new truck for my son's 11th birthday, repair the one we are discussing above and also repair the Terra Crusher -- but rather than go to a hobby store I want to do those repairs with my son hands on, I'd like him to learn to do things himself rather than jsut think you pay for everything. So any guidance/assitance you can offer is greatly appreciated !!

I am also looking at this for the same price: http://www.nitrorcx.com/1exmadbenimo.html

Not familiar with this web site tho and this is a 1/8

I also should have asked - rather than purchase that 1/6th truck on ebay (its the only one there, so you can easily find it - type Nitro 1/6 and it will come up)

What would you suggest as an alternative purchase?

My desires are to get a new truck for my son's 11th birthday, repair the one we are discussing above and also repair the Terra Crusher -- but rather than go to a hobby store I want to do those repairs with my son hands on, I'd like him to learn to do things himself rather than jsut think you pay for everything. So any guidance/assitance you can offer is greatly appreciated !!

I am also looking at this for the same price: http://www.nitrorcx.com/1exmadbenimo.html

Not familiar with this web site tho and this is a 1/8

I commend you in helping your son become a "hands on" person. It will surely help later in life.

OK, on the one that got driven into a lake, does the engine turn over at all or is it stuck? Do the electronics work?( radio, servos, reciever) ? Anything that has been sitting for an extended period of time needs some serious inspection before running. I recommend taking the engine apart and cleaning/ inspecting it, here is a youtube video to help out:
While you have it apart, check the bearings to see if they roll smoothly. With the crank out, hold it up to a light, and look thru the crankcase at the rear bearing. If you see any light at all coming thru the bearing, it must be replaced. If that's good, go ahead and reassemble it, sealing the backplate, carb hole.

Edit: From looking at the current ebay auctions, I think this is a Smartech car - there is a 1/6th size "tornado truck" on ebay that I am considering ordering, its built like this one and google searches brings me to a UK site and "smartech" and I *think* this one said Smartech on top of the air intake - I assumed it was a part name and not the car manufacturer name, I'll confirm this evening. If correct this would be a Smartech 25 C engine. Ok - with that in mind, any further advice?

Advice- if you are willing to take it is : DO NOT BUY THIS TRUCK!!!~

Last edited by a moderator:
ya i meant a new pull cord..i shouldve said it... lol

ya i meant a new pull cord..i shouldve said it... lol
Since I bought a piece of crap off of ebay we can’t ascertain proper replacement parts (live and learn I suppose). I ordered one from tower and is/when it doesn’t bolt on I will remove the cord and attempt to respool the one on the engine – hopefully that will work.

I feel rather confident that I will have this truck running this weekend and hopefully the Terra Crusher shortly there after. There must be a pull start engine that I can swap out for the stock one – I am hoping someone here is familiar with the terra crusher. I really hate proprietary crap – that’s why I no longer buy sony. I even went to the Tamiya_usa web site – not even a customer support number ! all they do is say the Terra Crusher is discontinued – all I should need is a new plug and new starter ! aarrghhh

The truck that you have I believe is a smarttech something or other. If the top of the servo says smarttech on it, that's it.

I did some searching and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Crusher

I thought was interesting.

Here is your engine: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGZA0&P=FR

You might be able to put a starter like this on it: http://goldstarstockists.net/live/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=tamiya+41079

Thank you - this helped a great deal. With the link above I was able to speak with a Tower rep that was able to assist me. I ended up with the Tamiya 800# which I will call later once california comes online. With that call I will learn what I can use to replace the electric start with a pull start.

As for the Smartech, I was able to contact them and they have all parts available for those cars. thanks !

Tamiya (800) 826-4922
Smartech (866) 595-4530

Back