Lit my sons motor on fire

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure traxxas steel pinions will hold up to a steel spur. You may want to get robinson racing's hardened pinions. .8mod or 32 pitch.

For what it's worth, I use RRP's on my stampede with 3S which has a plastic spur and both hold up fine. I also run an RRP pinion on my savage flux hp (1M/5mm) against HPI's steel spur and it holds up fine as well.

I prefer a plastic spur if I can get away with it. Less rotational mass, quieter and a cheaper breakage point in the drive train.

I'm not sure traxxas steel pinions will hold up to a steel spur. You may want to get robinson racing's hardened pinions. .8mod or 32 pitch.

For what it's worth, I use RRP's on my stampede with 3S which has a plastic spur and both hold up fine. I also run an RRP pinion on my savage flux hp (1M/5mm) against HPI's steel spur and it holds up fine as well.

I prefer a plastic spur if I can get away with it. Less rotational mass, quieter and a cheaper breakage point in the drive train.
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely look into the rep opinions but I'll stick with the stock spur for now then and see how it does with the traxxas pinion.

I wouldn't mind the additional noise of the metal gears if it meant not having to replace them over and over but I agree that if I can get away with a plastic one I'd rather save on the weight. That's why I haven't upgraded any suspension components other than the shocks. The cheap light bendy plastic steering and suspension components are damn near indestructible ?

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely look into the rep opinions but I'll stick with the stock spur for now then and see how it does with the traxxas pinion.

I wouldn't mind the additional noise of the metal gears if it meant not having to replace them over and over but I agree that if I can get away with a plastic one I'd rather save on the weight. That's why I haven't upgraded any suspension components other than the shocks. The cheap light bendy plastic steering and suspension components are damn near indestructible ?

I only say the traxxas pinions may not hold up because I've been through a few in a short time on my stampede running 2S with plastic spurs. They don't even seem to hold up long for that setup.

Oddly, the one on my ERBE seems to hold up fine as I haven't changed it in 2 years since I got it. I have only changed the spur once, due to a broken tooth last year. Funny how some trucks spur/pinions hold up so well while others don't.

I had similar issues with my stampede when I went from a 7200mah 2S to 7200mah 3S. The big pack changed handling and drove temps up a bit. I have it geared as low as I can fit, I think, but it's still fast on 3S. I had to adjust springs and oil weights to compensate for the larger pack though as it was too soft. Still trying to sort it out as it lands weird a lot and bounces. May have went too heavy on oil... not sure yet.
Is your stampede 2wd or 4x4?

Is your stampede 2wd or 4x4?
Heavily modified 4x4 vxl.
Hobbywing max10 sct/3200kv
hitec 5985MG steering servo
HR servo saver/steering rack
HR front carriers/c-hubs/rear carriers
HR 17mm wheel extension/adapters
proline 17mm 2.8" trenchers
tekno center shaft
king headz motor mount
traxxas HD motor plate
RPM arms
GTR shocks with VDK drilled out to 1/16" and VG Racing springs
MIP X-Duty cvd's

Was a bit of a work in progress... then kind of took on a mind of it's own. lol! I launch it like my 6S outcast. So, it gets a hurt put on it quite a bit.