LiPo Battery Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdragon

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi

I'm getting my first ever set of LiPo batteries today from Amazon and I wont be using them right away. So I was wondering what do I need to do to them for storage? Also should I test them to make sure there good, if so how do I do that and what do I look for?

P.S. I have a HOTA D6+ Battery Charger.

Hota is a good charger brand. +1 for that.
LiPos new from the factory are already in storage so no need. When you get them, just plug them into the charger, make sure cell voltages are 3.7 to 3.9 volts per cell (and make sure they are the same / balanced). Also, they are new so IRs should be pretty low and balanced.
Make sure the pack is all good in general, no puffy+ness, ect.

Hota is a good charger brand. +1 for that.
LiPos new from the factory are already in storage so no need. When you get them, just plug them into the charger, make sure cell voltages are 3.7 to 3.9 volts per cell (and make sure they are the same / balanced). Also, they are new so IRs should be pretty low and balanced.
Make sure the pack is all good in general, no puffy+ness, ect.
I could not agree more with @DavidB1126.
The only thing I could add is make sure you get some good reputable batteries, Make sure you are aware of the dangers of LIPO and familize yourself with safely handling them. They can be very dangerous if mishandled.
Also, IR's means Internal Resistance. A good charger like the Hota will have a way for you to see the IR's of your cells.

Hi

I also have 5 of the lipo alarms/testers, and the packs came in just a little bit ago. I used the tester and one is a 3.87v both cells and the other pack is 3.85v both cell, and are now nestled in a fire box within a fire box.

IMG_5768.JPG

IMG_5767.JPG

Well now you got a bomb if one of those decide to go nuclear. make sure you vent the storage so it does not explode.
This guy did some testing with Lipo's and ammo boxes.

Hi

I took all the seals out and made sure it could vent freely. The ammo cans are lined with 1/2 inch kalewool rated for 2300 degrees Fahrenheit with fire brick dividers, and the metal tool box is lined with 1 inch kalewool rated for 2600 degrees Fahrenheit. I am also hoping the kalewool will help with filtering the smoke. I am only going to be storing two packs per ammo can, one will have 2 2s packs and the other will have 2 3s packs. I will do my best to never create extreme conditions like in that video, I mean he put 7 6s, & 4 4s packs in that first ammo can, those are some extreme conditions, and very bad habits to get into. I'm big time into safety when it comes to LiPo's and is why it has taken me 7 to 8 years to convince myself to finely buy some, and only after I had a safe place to store them in.

Last edited:
Back