Links on modifying an engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mjime714

I have an old HPI engine I want to fu@k up. Anyone know any good links on how to modify the sleeve rod and crank?

Thanks

Here you go, I found a more general one. Has anyone attempted to modify an engine? I have some questions before I thrash this little HPI one.

Yep, I have an extra TRX pro 15 I am going to port. I just did one for a friend of mine following the other article. I have not run it yet so I dont want to mess mine up until I see if I did it right on his first, lol. It looked really nice, no "accidents" thankfully, so I am sending it back to him so he can test my port job, then I'll do mine.

Did you work the sleeve? I am curious if you grind the channels for all the ports or just the exhaust? Also, what attachments on the dremel did you use to do the grinding?

Yes I did the sleeve too. I did not do the rod though. I have 6 different grinding bits, and a complete polishing kit too. Everything went really well, it all looks good, I can't wait to see if it performs as good as it looks. I would try it myself but it needs the flywheel, cone washer, clutch nut and clutch and clutch bell. I really don't want to pull my other TRX apart just to try this one. I will let my buddy do that. He has the rest of the parts at his house in Florida.

No, unfortunately I have not. I haven't been able to get ahold of my buddy in Florida for a few weeks now :confused: I hope everything is ok with him. I may just have to pull the parts off my other Pro .15 and see how it runs. I am dying to know!

I'm taking the dremel to an HPI SS this weekend. I already drew out all my cuts, now I just got to start grinding.

I am definately interested in hearing how it goes. Let me know how you make out with it. I am dying to find out how well my port job went on the Pro 15. He better call me soon or his mill will be in one of my trucks, lol.

Can I still get a new piston and sleeve for a TRX Pro .15 ? If so, I may try a port job myself.

Anyone?

Thats ok - The mill is roasted anyhow. Of course, I could send it in on the trade-in program and get a 2.5.

Hmmmm....

Thanks for the link Mjime'

Thats what I plan on doing with my other Pro 15, as soon as its toast I will trade it in for the 2.5

Do the case before you buy a new piston and sleeve, this way if you screw it up you haven't wasted the money on the other parts. If it goes well then get the piston and sleeve.

i read something saying if you're going to port an engine to port a good one as porting puts a lot of stress on the internal parts and a cheaper engine breaks under the stress.

-rob

You just have to make sure you dont over do it. Too much on any engine will cause havoc. Good looking out NoviceRob! :cheers: