LiFe vs. Lipo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raiden101

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I did a search on the topic, but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

My dad recently purchased a Slash 4x4, and is looking into new batteries. He has the one it came with, but quickly decided that he needs more power and more batteries.

So now my question. Life or Lipo, and then which charger would be the best for not terribly expensive cost?

Most cars today don't have a low voltage cut off that is LiFE compatible, so LiPo is the choice there. I have a Venom Procharger Plus that will charge everything and will balance charge LiPo/LiFE batteries.

Also, Lipo cells are 3.7v ea., LIFE cells are 3.3v ea. A 2-cell pack would yield 7.4 and 6.6 volts respectively. That's a big difference. Now you can get 3S LIFE packs if you want 9.9v. If you're bashing then no big deal but that won't fly at the racetrack. From what I've read LIFE cells have the advantage of a near zero self discharge.. which means they don't lose a lot of voltage when they are idle and not being used. IMO, this makes them great for uses which may not fully discharge everytime you use them. TX and rx packs... starter box batteries would be a good use for them too now that I think about it.

He doesn't have any plans to race, so voltage isn't an issue really

Back