LibertyMKiii's dream speed build (shooting for 200+mph)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mold is nearly ready, just patching up a few spots in the gelcoat.

Also picked up a test car (Typhon 6s ) to demo the body (shortened version) on first before sending my investment down the road at 100+ mph

Dude you have more talent in your little finger than I have in my whole body. I'm late to the party but everything you posted is pretty cool...

Dude you have more talent in your little finger than I have in my whole body. I'm late to the party but everything you posted is pretty cool...
You would be shocked how easy it all really is. The sheet of CF was cut with a jigsaw....
Just a matter of taking it slow so it looks pretty.

Well its pretty cool. The wife bought me my Tornado s30 that I am completely rebuilding with all aluminum parts and I wanted this car because like you mentioned, there is a huge amount of available parts for it.

Well its pretty cool. The wife bought me my Tornado s30 that I am completely rebuilding with all aluminum parts and I wanted this car because like you mentioned, there is a huge amount of available parts for it.
The RedCat brand is pretty decent. I had fun with it for a while. Ultimately I switched over to the Arrma 1/8 6s line and couldn't be happier. If you ever find a good deal on an Arrma 6s I highly recommend it!

Test body for the smaller Typhon 6s is ready. Currently changing out bearings and locking the F&R diffs.
I plan to test the car as a buggy significantly and then install the body to gather data points and confirm efficiency was gained.
(I am an engineer and love data ;) )

The tail is two pieces and holds the antenna inside for improved range. Made from two 1.5mm fiberglass sheets (Carbon blocks RF)
Picture here shows the antenna tube inside and is prior to paint:

Last edited:
I was thinking of another reason to build two of those, that I won't mention should it jinx anything. But boat is good, we'll go with that. :D

Great work, can't wait to see some video of it in action. Good luck!!

I was thinking of another reason to build two of those, that I won't mention should it jinx anything. But boat is good, we'll go with that. :D

Great work, can't wait to see some video of it in action. Good luck!!

Well I sort of did build 2 of these.... One that I'll actually run and the other is to sell.
You can imagine the anxiety of testing this money pit at high speeds. I simply cannot afford to start over.

I hate to sell the pretty carbon one, but that is what people want to buy, and I have bigger and faster ideas that need funding.
The body from post #29 is on a Typhon 6s and will be the mule to test the design at high speeds. It is made from the same mold and has the exact same shape shorter in total length. (ultimately this means lower weight and drag)

I plan to get a 3D printer with some of the funds from the sale, which should accelerate my future design creations significantly!
I have a few projects already lined up. One will be a car that will easily surpass this one in aerodynamics and speed. The other will be to break the world record for an RC motorcycle. <--- I am pretty excited about this one as 2 wheel RC will be new for me.

Attachments

• Front Capture.JPG
    Front Capture.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 227
Well I sort of did build 2 of these.... One that I'll actually run and the other is to sell.
You can imagine the anxiety of testing this money pit at high speeds. I simply cannot afford to start over.

I hate to sell the pretty carbon one, but that is what people want to buy, and I have bigger and faster ideas that need funding.
The body from post #29 is on a Typhon 6s and will be the mule to test the design at high speeds. It is made from the same mold and has the exact same shape shorter in total length. (ultimately this means lower weight and drag)

I plan to get a 3D printer with some of the funds from the sale, which should accelerate my future design creations significantly!
I have a few projects already lined up. One will be a car that will easily surpass this one in aerodynamics and speed. The other will be to break the world record for an RC motorcycle. <--- I am pretty excited about this one as 2 wheel RC will be new for me.

Yep, that makes sense. RC motos are very different since they work off of the counter-steering principles of real motos. At high speed, to turn left, you turn the wheel left but the servo turns the bars to the right. So, at low speeds, you need the servo to turn the bars the direction you actually want to turn (i.e. turn left to turn left), so you have to turn the wheel on the controller in the opposite direction. I got into them quite a few years ago. Sold off all but one, it's still in the garage. I never run it as they were discontinued and you can't really find many parts for it anymore, sadly. Sounds like a cool project though.

Tested the Typhon GT / Streamliner recently. Data logs of the motor rpm indicate I hit 130ish, but the GPS only picked up 119mph.
I was still gaining speed when I left off and have room to gear up more. I cannot wait to try again!
(not bad for a factory Arrma 2050kv motor that goes for $45.00 on eBay!!!)

What software did you use to calculate the aerodynamics???

Back