Led Issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle_battle

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
ok here the deal i just put led headlights and taillights in my firestorm but I'm having problems. i have attached a drawing to help u see how its all wired up. the issue is that when i connect two AA batts (wich was how i intended to set it up) the tail lights are REALLY bright but the headlights are very dim. but when i hook up a 9v the headlights are insanely bright but the tail lights aren't. Whats the deal here? here are the specs on the leds:

Radio Shack

Headlights [5mm High-Brightness White LED (2-Pack)]
* Ideal for hobbies and electronics projects
* High visibility, 5mm Round T-1 3/4
* Intensity 7000mcd (typical);viewing angle 30°
* FW current 25mA; FW supply 3.3 (typical), 3.6V (maximum)
* RoHS compliant

Taillights [ can't find info but there very similar]

Attachments

• rcc.JPG
    rcc.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 72
A 9 volt can burn them out. Don't use it.
Similar is not good enough. They must be the same, except for the color.
It's not in the wiring. LEDs will only work when wired correctly, and you'll get nothing at all with reverse polarity.

I guess thats what it is.. the white leds are 25mA @ 3.3V (typical) 3.6V (max) And the red leds are 20mA @ 1.7v (typical) and 2.4 (max) :doh: I've already spent like 30$ on this stuff and torn the wireing out of the body 3 times to redo it so i guess ill just have to deal with them being dim as long as it wont damage anything..

*just out of curiosity do u think if i wired in something to step down the power to the rear leds to about 2V it would allow the headlights to use more voltage?

Last edited:
i don't think that would really do anything like rolex said its the lights not the wiring.. and I've put way to much time into it to rip it all out again :(

I think i may have figured it out!!
i can use the 9v but get resistors to drop down the power so it wont blow the lights
I'm pretty positive this would work but I'm not to familure with using resistors here..
so if i used a standard 9v battery what size resistors would i need to get the voltages into the proper limits for the leds??

You can go online and look it up, it let's you type in all the led info and stuff and it will tell you such one 2 get.

what web site can i find this at?

Resistors are cheap. Unfortunately, no one who works at a Radio Shack ANYWHERE in the world will be able to tell you what you need.
Do a search on LEDs, LED voltages, resistor circuits, etc. I'm sure you'll find the info you need.
You might also consider using a potentiometer, also called a pot. That's like an adjustable, variable resistor. (Pretty much a trim tab) Get one for the headlights and another for the tail lights, and set them accordingly.

I hate to say i did but i gave up..over at least 10hrs $30 and countless aggravation
i went and got two micro mini pots and wired it all up but in the end blew a tail led and burnt off the insulation to the ground. and melted one of the pots.. leds + me = Fail
I'm just gonna end up getting the ram led kit most likely it will be much easier that way
and to top it off i went to look at an apartment today and possibly bent my rimm and the apartment turned out to be crappy...

But hey on the positive side it can always be ALOT worse :]

I just finnished my led head and tailights and it really wasn't hard at all just get a 2 aa holder and get LEDs that are the same voltage so you font blow them and just wore in a switch, cost me about 7 bucks and looks awesome

I just finnished my led head and tailights and it really wasn't hard at all just get a 2 aa holder and get LEDs that are the same voltage so you font blow them and just wore in a switch, cost me about 7 bucks and looks awesome

eh well i didnt think it threw properly and tryed to get all complicated and perfectionist with it so it the end it didnt turn out to pretty led lights where torn out of lid and hit with hammer very.. very.. hard lol

but its no big deal ill just get a kit from bill or something maybe there cheaper and look really good

to top it off i went to look at an apartment today

Warning....don't install a dimmer switch or change bulbs on your own. :hehe:

The only way you can burn off insulation at that low voltage is with an absolute dead short circuit. You weren't paying attention.
In the future, till you understand DC lighting circuitry, test a temp setup before you hard wire it into the car.

oh well i learn from my mistakes..
I'm not really worried about leds anymore..
ill just stick to spending the money on hop ups :]

:) Try wire'n them in series instead of parrallel.

the prob with wireing them in series is that you have to have alot more power for the same amount of lights. but in this case your prob might be that the angle of the light is wroung the red might be 15 and the frount might be 30 so the back would be brighter

Back