Leaking fuel tank

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITMonkey

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I bought a Seben BV2 BK7 nitro buggy last year as a real ad hoc type of purchase. Due to various issues it didn't come out of the box until yesterday and I'm now ready to fire it up and get the engine run in.

First instant issue came about when I filled the fuel tank though. After a few minutes a pool of fuel collected on the work table and continued to drip for several hours; probably until the tank was about 1/3 full and then it just stopped. I haven't taken the tank out yet but can't see any visible damage.

Other than popping the tank out, anyone have any other ideas? I obviously don't want to buy a new tank straight off if I don't have to, but now it's going to be well outside a warranty period I don't think I'll have a lot of choice.

Hi. I bought a Seben BV2 BK7 nitro buggy last year as a real ad hoc type of purchase. Due to various issues it didn't come out of the box until yesterday and I'm now ready to fire it up and get the engine run in.

First instant issue came about when I filled the fuel tank though. After a few minutes a pool of fuel collected on the work table and continued to drip for several hours; probably until the tank was about 1/3 full and then it just stopped. I haven't taken the tank out yet but can't see any visible damage.

Other than popping the tank out, anyone have any other ideas? I obviously don't want to buy a new tank straight off if I don't have to, but now it's going to be well outside a warranty period I don't think I'll have a lot of choice.
Sorry to disappoint you but Seben RC models aren't the greatest of quality from what I've heard, so you may end up with quite a lot more issues than a leaky fuel tank. Although, as long as it keeps you entertained and you don't push it too far then thats all that matters :) as for fixing your issue, there's a great tutorial on pressure testing your fuel system here:
Hope it helps :)

I think I'm starting to realise its a case of 'you get what you pay for' with Seben too - quick learner just a shame I didn't do a bit of research first haha

I've had the car running now (starter, engine and glow plug all seem to work fine which is a bonus haha), but now found the throttle suddenly opens up when the car has been running for a minute or so. Doesn't matter if the transmitter is on or off, the servo on the car always does it.

Think it might be a case of running this one into the ground - if I can keep it going that long - and then investing in something a bit more robust. Plenty of space near me to let the things rip...just use the Seben as a learning and tinkering curve!

I think I'm starting to realise its a case of 'you get what you pay for' with Seben too - quick learner just a shame I didn't do a bit of research first haha

I've had the car running now (starter, engine and glow plug all seem to work fine which is a bonus haha), but now found the throttle suddenly opens up when the car has been running for a minute or so. Doesn't matter if the transmitter is on or off, the servo on the car always does it.

Think it might be a case of running this one into the ground - if I can keep it going that long - and then investing in something a bit more robust. Plenty of space near me to let the things rip...just use the Seben as a learning and tinkering curve!
Yep, sounds like the best possible plan. As for the throttle issue, check your batteries in the receiver in and car. Afterwards, check that your Ariel isn't bent and finally, if all else fails, take it to a model shop and they'll test your receiver and servos. If they say it's broken, look towards a TX/RX from a reputable car like a Hyper 7 or A HPI trophy 3.5 (About £25) and if you want an upgrade from your next buggy, get a kit from Spektrum or something. (quite expensive)

Hope it helps :)

If you can find the leak in the tank you can try to seal it with some JB weld or something. If your looking for a cheap budget TX/RX you can pick up a Flysky GT3B for about $40. Better IMO than a stock RTR replacement, not that one of those wouldnt work. Are you using a 4.8V battery pack for your electronics or a 6V pack?

Back