Kyosho MP9E EVO not getting full power to wheels.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emery Hall

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Whenever I give the car gas the full power is not making it to the wheels. For example I could floor it and the the motor would go at full power but the car would barely get moving. I have taken apart the center diff and refilled it multiple times. I think this is starting to lead me into the front and rear diffs but I haven't dove into that because it's honestly a little intimidating looking to try an get to the center diff and I honestly don't know where to start disassembling. Any ideas on what this problem is and or how I could solve it?

download manual. take a look a youtube I'm sure theres plenty of disassembly vids. Id start with the diff screws in the bottom of chassis.

Whenever I give the car gas the full power is not making it to the wheels. For example I could floor it and the the motor would go at full power but the car would barely get moving. I have taken apart the center diff and refilled it multiple times. I think this is starting to lead me into the front and rear diffs but I haven't dove into that because it's honestly a little intimidating looking to try an get to the center diff and I honestly don't know where to start disassembling. Any ideas on what this problem is and or how I could solve it?
Are any of the wheels getting power? Have you torn down the center diff and made sure all of the gears are good? As in not broken, chipped or heavily worn?

check wheel hexes also if 1 pin is missing then thats your answer. he clearly says hes afraid to remove diff.

Are any of the wheels getting power? Have you torn down the center diff and made sure all of the gears are good? As in not broken, chipped or heavily worn?
I have torn down the center diff and tried silicone earplugs and that worked for maybe 5 minutes and then it went back to getting 1/4 the power I was giving it. Then I tried the recommended weight oil for the center diff and that did not work. Maybe it was my error assembling it. I think the sun gear might not be making good contact. The gears appear good aswell.
check wheel hexes also if 1 pin is missing then thats your answer. he clearly says hes afraid to remove diff.
The wheel hexes are good!

You shouldn't be intimidated by an RC car. They aren't too difficult to dismantle and reassemble. As mentioned, having the manual with exploded views will help.

The easiest way I have found is to just tear the RC apart completely, clean everything, then have the exploded views open on a laptop or tablet to aid in reassembly. But inspect everything during the disassembly and anything that needs replaced, find it in the exploded views and write down the part number and order the needed parts right away.

It also helps to keep the assemblies separated. So everything in front diff in one container, everything from rear diff in another, etc.

You can check an RC car drivetrain by turning the wheels with your hands and seeing where it slips. Lift one end and turn one wheel, the opposite one on the same axle should turn the other way. Then turn both wheels together and they should send power to the center diff. Do the other end the same way.
With 2 wheels on the table and turning 2 wheels you should send through the center diff to the motor.
Usually it become obvious where the problem is.

Do you have a clutch or slipper clutch?

You can check an RC car drivetrain by turning the wheels with your hands and seeing where it slips. Lift one end and turn one wheel, the opposite one on the same axle should turn the other way. Then turn both wheels together and they should send power to the center diff. Do the other end the same way.
With 2 wheels on the table and turning 2 wheels you should send through the center diff to the motor.
Usually it become obvious where the problem is.

Do you have a clutch or slipper clutch?
I do not, I just have a center diff
You shouldn't be intimidated by an RC car. They aren't too difficult to dismantle and reassemble. As mentioned, having the manual with exploded views will help.

The easiest way I have found is to just tear the RC apart completely, clean everything, then have the exploded views open on a laptop or tablet to aid in reassembly. But inspect everything during the disassembly and anything that needs replaced, find it in the exploded views and write down the part number and order the needed parts right away.

It also helps to keep the assemblies separated. So everything in front diff in one container, everything from rear diff in another, etc.
Thanks. I think I’m gonna need to end up tearing the car down.

I have torn down the center diff and tried silicone earplugs and that worked for maybe 5 minutes and then it went back to getting 1/4 the power I was giving it. Then I tried the recommended weight oil for the center diff and that did not work. Maybe it was my error assembling it. I think the sun gear might not be making good contact. The gears appear good aswell.
Sounds like the issue is in the center diff to me. If the issue is affecting all for wheels equally and you putting an earplug in the center diff fixes the issue for about 5 minutes then its almost got to be an issue with the center diff. In fact it sounds like the gears arent making proper contact inside.

Do you even know how to read or do like just being an asshat to everyone? Re-read the quote below from the OP's first post.

It clearly states that he has taken apart the center diff multiple times and that its the front and rear diffs that hes afraid to remove. 🤦‍♂️

Sounds like the issue is in the center diff to me. If the issue is affecting all for wheels equally and you putting an earplug in the center diff fixes the issue for about 5 minutes then its almost got to be an issue with the center diff. In fact it sounds like the gears arent making proper contact inside.

Do you even know how to read or do like just being an asshat to everyone? Re-read the quote below from the OP's first post.

It clearly states that he has taken apart the center diff multiple times and that its the front and rear diffs that hes afraid to remove. 🤦‍♂️
How can I ensure proper contact in the diff? Shims? Never shimmed something if I need to do it gonna need to YouTube.

How can I ensure proper contact in the diff? Shims? Never shimmed something if I need to do it gonna need to YouTube.
If it were me, Id take the center diff apart again, empty the fluid and clean it all up. Then start reassembling it and along each step of the way make sure all the parts that are in the exploded view of the center diff are present and they are being installed in the proper place. Also after you complete each step check and see how the gears are meshing together. Spin the output shaft on the bottom and watch the gears rotate. Look for any place where the gears arent meshing against one another 100%. Maybe even take picks of all the gears before you start putting the diff back together and post them up here so we can take a look and see if we can see any tell-tale signs of problems. Look for excessive wear, slipping, missing pins, anything that looks like it may be causing an issue. If you see something and your not 100% sure post pics or a short video so we can take a look.

BTW, how old is the kit, What electronics do you have in it, and what batteries do you use in it?

If it were me, Id take the center diff apart again, empty the fluid and clean it all up. Then start reassembling it and along each step of the way make sure all the parts that are in the exploded view of the center diff are present and they are being installed in the proper place. Also after you complete each step check and see how the gears are meshing together. Spin the output shaft on the bottom and watch the gears rotate. Look for any place where the gears arent meshing against one another 100%. Maybe even take picks of all the gears before you start putting the diff back together and post them up here so we can take a look and see if we can see any tell-tale signs of problems. Look for excessive wear, slipping, missing pins, anything that looks like it may be causing an issue. If you see something and your not 100% sure post pics or a short video so we can take a look.

BTW, how old is the kit, What electronics do you have in it, and what batteries do you use in it?
The kit is pretty new, only about a year old and has only been driven twice on a track practice day and around 3 times in the yard. The. Electronics are a kyosho brand motor and esc. I got the eye because I was just starting racing and wasn’t wanting to spend tons off the bat, but now the track closed due to lack of funds and now I’m planning on just bashing the car but not as hard as my other cars.

Back