Just ordered

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Çh®i§tiªñ

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just ordered a set of RC Raven Dual Rate Progressive Springs. I'm also in the process of rebuilding all of my shocks and will be putting in the RPM dual rate plates (I've installed these in 2 other sets of shocks already - they kick azz!)

I'm hoping that the springs will fit right on the Traxxas Big Bore shocks. Being as the springs I have now are too big in diameter.

Has anyone had any luck with this setup? Just curious.

Traxxas Big Bores with RC Raven Dual Rate Springs

handanim.gif
Hello Çh®i§tiªñ
,i use bigbore and the springs it came with. Keep me/us posted how your new springs go. I am in the market for a spring upgrade.:classic:

Last edited:
Niffken, try a set of Trinity springs (blue or black) for your big bores. The springs that come with the big bores are even weaker than the springs from the stock shocks.

Christian, I use Team Associated shocks and had to use their upper spring retainers to hold the Traxxas upper spring retainers in order to use bigger diameter shocks (the Team Associated shocks are a much smaller diameter). I currently run Trinity springs and love 'em. I'll be interested to hear how the dual rate springs work out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. So you know the frustration of the diameter issue with the Traxxas Big Bores. I have Losi, ASsociated and Traxxas shocks so I can mix/matc. I still want a set of Dynamite shocks as well. They are good for dialing in fast for the track. Just like the threaded AE types.

Hopefully springs will be here tomorrow.

I will keep you posted.

-Chris

When i had my Maxx i had Dynamite shocks and loved them. Threaded shocks are really worth it cuz you can quickly tune your suspension for racing or for bashing.

The nice part of the Dynamites are the short shafts as well. I just dont know how they would hold up to our jump sessions.

I picked up some Associated rebuild kits for shocks (part # 6440) just for the limiters. I am going to install them in my Traxxas big bores tomorrow.

I run without limiters and have bump stops on the exposed portion of the shock shaft. That works just fine for me when it comes to limiting shock travel; plus they are easier to remove (don't have to crack open the cylinder and totally dismantle the piston head or shaft bottom to remove the limiter) Credit Hunter with the bump stop idea...he gave it to me a while back.

I have used bump stops as well. But I'm hoping to accomplish lowered suspension. Ill let you know how I make out. I may be getting my marbles mixxed up here. Down with the flu :(

Gotcha...since you are going to be going through pain to remove the limiters at a later time, have you considered buying shorter piston rods or making shorter piston rods to accomplish the lower suspension...then you could have a set of full length for offroading and a set for onroading and switch them relatively easy when you do your rebuild...or better yet, you could build a set of onroad shocks with the shorter shafts...but I guess you could do the same with the limiters on a set and just change out the shocks entirely...

Don't mind me...as I babble this stream of consciousness answer...

LOL! Its the marbles........

I am going to get a second set of shocks. More than likely the dynamites. They are threaded and already have shorter shafts. With dual rate plates as well as dual rate springs, they should be good for both track and bash.

Either way, limiters or shorter shafts, you would have to go through the same steps to change them from place to place.

Maybe I can accomplish what I need with just the limiters. Ill let you know hopefully by the end of the day. Slow moving :(

Well my wife JUST handed me the box from RC Raven. Looks like I will be finishing my rebuild of my shocks in the morning. I got the chromed ones. They look really sweet and the tighter coil at the top tells me they will do their job well. I like the idea of progressive springs.

I am going to load up my shocks as follows:

Purple dual rate RPM plates all the way around
(2 holes flow oil on compression while 6 holes flow on decompression)
RC Raven Progressive springs all the way around
40 Weight Trinity Oil in the rear
30 Weight Trinity Oil in the front
5mm spacers all around
Traxxas Aluminum Big Bores with Ti Nitride Shafts

Ill keep you all posted.

-Chris

I have the Dynamite shocks now they are great! But I did replace the lower spring retainers with RPM ones and I did not like the springs that came with them at all, so I replaced them all with the trinity blue springs, the springs and retainers are smaller in diameter than the stock or trinity springs, and I am using 60wt oil. This set up has worked very well for me. The threaded shafts are awesome for lowering or raising your ride height quickly and easily. I would definately get these shocks again.

Not unless they are going on a SuperMaxx. I can't see spending that much cash when the progressive springs, dual rate plates, and big bores, do such a good job ;)

I agree with Christian, I can't justify spending $300 on a set of shocks with the tunability of many other shocks on the market, with, springs, pistons, oils, etc. If you like the resevoirs they to can be added to many different shocks. What makes their shocks worth $300 for a set? I can get a full set of Rancho shocks for my 1:1 Jeep for that kind of $$$.

Back