Just having fun!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith

Dirt Oval Addict!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
After a ten plus tears break from RCs, I'm back. At first just a little basher from craigslist. ( duratrax maximum to be exact). It was cheap and still loads of fun. Then, the addiction got a hold of me....really a hold of me. In just two months, I've started trying to grab every traxxas model I can. I know a lot of folks don't like traxxas, I do. Parts availability in my area is amazing for them. So, now I've got a 3.3 t maxx, 3.3 slayer pro, 3.3 jato, 3.3 revo, 2.5 rustler, rustler vxl, 1/16 rally vxl, an old raze buggy and street force GP to rip around. Then I learned something odd about my addiction.....it's not the driving of them I'm addicted to. It's the repairing, setting up, etc.. I do love to bash around and race some but it doesn't compare to my time with my machines at my work bench. I actually tell all the newbie hobbyist to bring their rig to my shop and I'll show them what's wrong and teach them how to tune and tinker for free. ( I'm not in it for money, I just want the next generation to enjoy this the way I have!) Does anyone else classify themselves as a shop rat more than a track rat? Just wondering!:)

Hey There

I'm actually almost in your boat a few days ago i received my very first RC nitro car. At that time i didn't know a thing of it or rcing in general. The car i received was given to me by someone who just bought it thought it was fun to shoot around abit than just gave up on it and left it in the box. With no instructions of the car i took it upon myself to find out what it is called, the scale of the truck and the specs. Low and behold i found out it was called Magic wheels RC monster truck scale 1:8. After i watched about 3 days worth of tutorials i took it upon myself to examine the truck, upon inspection the entire car was dirty and the engine will not start even when the glow plug was charged for 5hours+ . Now i learned how to properly dissemble my engine i just dont know it requires anything to properly clean the inside of the engine. Now to let you know i did not receive any oils for the car i.e.) afterburn oil and air filter oil. If you have any reccomendations on how to properly clean the engine and carberator. If you want just msg me or reply here and i could show you a picture of my car and we could just go step by step from there it would take abit longer due to the forum but if both of us are on at the same time maybe we could diagnose the problem of my car and fix anyparts that need to be fixed.

thanks
Tin

Welcome back where are you from?

Building rigs and working on them is just as much a part of the hobby as putting a good bashing on them. For me building custom rigs are one of my favorite things in this hobby. I am mainly a nitro guy so I do spend a lot of wrench time. But I also bash hard to. Used to race some but nitro has dried up some in my area. Short coarse is very popular here now.:D Can't wait to get my Cybermaxx buid finished.

Shop rat. I like that, and yes---I am right there with you. For me, it's building the absolute best vehicle possible. What's cool about the race scense is that is you have a consistent environment to monitor the changes made to your vehicles. I love tuning them for a specific environment. My son is the racer. Our track is extremely technical, and I struggle on it, but he's a natural. So I make his vehicle do whatever he wants. However, he gets jealous as I have the better vehicles. Ha ha

To me, it's partly a war of attrition. Especially with racing--as these machines are truly taken to the limit. Being able to finish is the top goal. I also believe you get what you pay for, and spare no expense at ensuring our vehicles are world-class. And it's the labor/love you put in to it. My Losi 810 is the best on the planet. I truly believe that. Not because I rebuilt it, but because all the analysis I did in making it the absolute best it can be--while still keeping it an 810.

And like you, I fix everyone's vehicle who asks me. There is a hobby shop by our house, and the owner will call me from time-to-time to ask my advice on things and I'm always happy to help. The best part? I'm still new and learn things every single day.

Last edited:
I'm not the greatest driver, but I, too, love to wrench on/build vehicles.

Cool! I knew I wasn't the only one. I've several friends who are strictly electric just because they don't want to work on anything they don't have to. Where I "tinker" for hours on end. My girlfriend will ask me why I have one apart. My reply," no reason, just want to know each and every piece!" With winter coming fast here ( Memphis) I'm steadily shopping for a quality kit to tide over the long winter evenings. Itll be dark when I close the office so I'll have plenty of time at my workbench. After a lot of searches, I'm leaning to a LOSI kit. While there are plenty quality machines available, I'm drawn to the LOSI team.
Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy the ease, power and reliability of the two lipo/brushless I have.....nitro is still my mistress. The sound, the smell....it's just always "taken" me there. Ya know? So, HAPPY RCING TO YOU ALL! Enjoy! Thanks for the feedback!

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Got me thinking. I have a friend who loves nitro but doesn't know anything about them. He is a very skilled racer. An actual threat at the track. Maybe we should team up. I the crew chief and he the driver. Let each talent be respectfully placed and not taxed. Going to have to try that.

You can't go wrong with a Losi.

Back