just got my hyper

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltegraSTI

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
just got my hyper, got q's

hyper2.jpg

got the old black head version of the motor, oh well. good 4 me 2 start on gettin back into r/c (for fun only this time) and into nitro.

-Ult

Last edited:
Nice choice of buggies... You will have a blast with the Hyper 7.. It's tough as nails compared to others in it's class.. The Hyper 8 port is a great mill to start out with.. Plenty of power.. If you find that you are having tuneing issues, you might want to try the OS 20e carb...
Good luck with it..

sweet, that was the buggy i was gonna get before i got my x-terminator pro.

the engine is broken in (will do some assessment as 2 its tune and health) but can any1 point me 2 some good threads/articles for tuning this engine in particular. i already understand the principles, but just need engine/rc specific tips on them. thx

prolly pickin up 1 of those new fangled jr radios that dont need crystal sets. but i do need engine tuning tips/info.

-Ult

The JR XS3 is a great radio for the money... The Pro is even better... It comes with a smaller version synth receiver, that fits alot nicer in the buggy. Gives more room to route wires etc.
I'll look around for some tuning specs on the Hyper 8 port for ya...

The only weak point that I found on the Hyper 7, was the Rear Stiffener brace.
I replaced mine with an:
MDP Polished Rear Stiffener Brace Mount
Part #: 19711P
MDP-Rear-Stiffener-Brace.jpg

You can find this part by searching the part # at Nitrohouse.com

Last edited:
got q's.

need a receiver pack (dont wanna use AAs), do i need flat or hump (can't visualize how long a flat is)?

fuel filter didnt have a screen in it, very strange. where can i get a replacement, or at least another copy of this filter

do people usually run a lotta preload spacers in their shocks, notice when i pulled them all out the susp sagged below level on the arms.

i'm gonna put new fluid in the shocks and maybe change these springs (their blue, and my track is dry, dusty, hard, and most part not smooth).

any tips, personal websites, pix, i'm new 2 nitro, not r/c (just rusty). and i appreciate the help.

btw i'm gettin a xs3 and receiver, along w/servos 2 do the job.

thx again

-Ult

You can use a 5 cell hump or flat

Get a new fuel filter

Spacers are used to tuner your traction

Shock fluid is all upto the user. make sure you do not over do it. Use shock fluid that will work along with your springs. Don't over dampen or vice versa. I am not the perfect shock dude here so do a search for that.

how are the diffs? What did the previous owner say about the buggy?

THe XS3 is a great choice. I have the XR3i as I am fine with the crystal thing.

UltegraSTI said:
got q's.

need a receiver pack (dont wanna use AAs), do i need flat or hump (can't visualize how long a flat is)?

fuel filter didnt have a screen in it, very strange. where can i get a replacement, or at least another copy of this filter

do people usually run a lotta preload spacers in their shocks, notice when i pulled them all out the susp sagged below level on the arms.

i'm gonna put new fluid in the shocks and maybe change these springs (their blue, and my track is dry, dusty, hard, and most part not smooth).

any tips, personal websites, pix, i'm new 2 nitro, not r/c (just rusty). and i appreciate the help.

btw i'm gettin a xs3 and receiver, along w/servos 2 do the job.

thx again

-Ult

Yep, Hump pack or Flat will work. You might want to see whats in there though. I know my PCR came with 2 different covers for the batt. box, depending on which one you preferred.

I use the Kyosho Super Capacity Fuel Filter in my buggies.

The suspension on my PCR sagged also, so I used :
45w in the fronts
40w in the rears
& Ofna White springs all around...
This made the suspension much better.

You really can't go wrong with the JR XS3 radio...
You might want to check out ServoCity.com for good prices on some High Torque/Fast servos such as the:
HS 645MG for steering
HS 625 for Throttle/Brake.

well just ordered some stuff.

a 1200 hump pack
AE tx/rx wall charger
header springs (double up on them, remember people doin that yrs ago)
medium springs (ofna purple)
after run
fuel tubing (gonna put new line on it and make pull tabs 4 clips/tank)
duratrax temp guage
AR mx-3 FM radio system
hitec 645mg servo (steering)
mc8 plugs (2)
os a5 plug (1)
kyosho fuel filter (suggested earlier)

thoughts (dont tell i bought stuff thats wrong, sux, or doesn't work w/each other) hehe

-Ult

well had it runnin 4 about 2sec. and thats it, goin 2 get help from people at local track 2 help me sort this thing out. (even when it is sorted out, i'll wish i got a RTR monster instead).

-Ult

:update:

well had it out last wk at the track while many others were runnin and continue 2 work on the track.

IT WAS FUN!!!! its been ages since i've done it, and even longer since i just went 2 have fun. yeh the linkages werent perfect thus the brakes were finicky or the front worked and back didnt. yeh it needs needle work. yeh my driving it very rusty. yeh wheel nuts on nitro cars need more attention than on electrics. yeh i laughed my ass off watchin my left rear roll down the backstretch as my car came 2 a rest in turn 1.

but who cares. i certainly didnt. gonna do some more work and get it closer. did pick up some more stuff 4 it afterwards. also had 2 tear the wrap off the hump pack when i noticed some voltage flucuation...turns out 1 of the tabs had popped off and was thus givin me 6v 1 sec, 1.8 or so the next. so i bolstered each connection 2 prevent that again. other stuff.

8 niCads 4 the radio (my purple radio shacks were around durin the last bush admin)
new starter box wheel (put spare given 2 me in)
new ofna wheel nuts (only had 3 at end of day, got the locktite 2 now).
crimefighters premounted (4)
more mc8 plugs
dynamite 2 stage air filter

so w/that i look to play again this wkend. track condition pending (lots of rain here after last storm system passed thru).

more 2 come soon no doubt

(prolly a decent servo 4 t/b, or somethin better than the 645 4 steerin and movin that over 2 t/b....and prolly another hump pack 4 backup)

-Ult

Last edited:
Yeah,buggies are sure fun. I just got mine and it sure is fun. Better than a RTR monster truck imo.

Back