Jato 3.3 broke exhaust

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M1tanker

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So Today I decided to loose control of my jato and he slide sideways into a curb. I have the aluminum exhaust and it bent the exit hole where the exhaust comes out. SO i went to bend it back to its normal position and it broke. so now where that piece would be is just a hole the same size. The exhaust is louder but will this cause any issues for me the performance engine temps and everything seem to be fine.

No, in my opinion, all the companies that make "tuned" pipes that are supposed to increase power are BSing you into buying a 100 dollar plus pipe. As long as it is non restrictive and keeps you from getting a noise pollution complaint filed from your neighbors your fine. THe pipe has very little to do with performance, because the pipe merely serves to direct the exhaust away from the engine and absorb some heat, and of course keep it from deafening you (trust me, I've had the pipe come disconnected from the rubber one time while starting it, not fun). Unless your a very race hardened experienced driver whose got a substantial resume in the RC racing world, you will not even come close to realizing its effects. And its even less effective since JUST the tip came off. if any thing this should reduce air flow constriction and increase preformace just a tad. The pipes place is AFTER the fact of combustion in the engine, and has no real effect on performance, other than lowering temps slightly. once again, it wont make a difference, it just won't look right and be a little louder and might get your Jato a little dirtier from the exhaust not being expelled as far away from the car as it once was.

No, in my opinion, all the companies that make "tuned" pipes that are supposed to increase power are BSing you into buying a 100 dollar plus pipe. As long as it is non restrictive and keeps you from getting a noise pollution complaint filed from your neighbors your fine. THe pipe has very little to do with performance, because the pipe merely serves to direct the exhaust away from the engine and absorb some heat, and of course keep it from deafening you.

Wow... You really should experiment with some different pipes and understand how they work with the header and engine before making the above assumption.

O.P. If its running fine and the temps are in check, loosing the stinger shouldn’t be an issue.

Wow... You really should experiment with some different pipes and understand how they work with the header and engine before making the above assumption.

O.P. If its running fine and the temps are in check, loosing the stinger shouldn’t be an issue.

I really do not understand why it matters so much. I do like multi chambered pipes, so its quieter. But for bashing and non competitive driving, tuned pipes really could matter less. And yes, I do understand how the header, catalytic converter, and exhaust work together, on a 4-stroke engine with 100 plus more horsepower than little nitro engines. On big multi cylinder engines, a preformance exhaust can provide very noticeable improvements in efficiency and horsepower. On these little engines, they provide miniscule improvements that are only noticeable to competitive experienced drivers. Bashers... not so much.

I’m not going to spell it out for ya, as you seem to have already come to a conclusion.
But if you do a little research you will see that a tuned pipe on a Nitro/glow engine does a lot more than just muffle the sound, absorb heat and direct the spent fuel/gasses away from the RC.

I’m not going to spell it out for ya, as you seem to have already come to a conclusion.
But if you do a little research you will see that a tuned pipe on a Nitro/glow engine does a lot more than just muffle the sound, absorb heat and direct the spent fuel/gasses away from the RC.

I know they do more than just that, I'm not saying to go and buy the 16 dollar pipe from exceed or just slap a metal pipe with a hole drilled in it (because that pipe would suck) but theres no need to spend more than 50 or 60 dollars on a good quality pipe that will last and has little to no resistance from it. If your RC pays the bills, then yes, a 160 dollar plus pipe would be good, and probably give you the edge over the competition (if they were using standard pipes) but for pretty much everyone, a racing tuned pipe is just not necessary as most people cannot tell or even bother to measure the performance changes. Unless of course you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

---------- Post added at 9:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:04 PM ----------

yes, I may have over exaggerated in my first post in response to the OP, but the stock pipe that comes on all quality rigs is just fine for everyday use, bashing and even local "pick-up" (I guess you could say) races. It's kinda the same deal with those 2000 dollar Bose theater sound systems (Nova Rossi pipes etc.), are they bad-ass? hell yea, but are they necessary? hell no. If you had a movie theater that put bread on the table? Yes! A sony system would get you the amount of quality and deep lows and in tune highs that you want in your TV set. (Traxxas Resonator) Should you buy the cheap RCA set from staples (exceed metal pipe)? No!!!! They would probably blow at max volume and be very distorted at high volume. What I was trying to say in my original post is that, the pipe for common folk use is little more than nothing to the engine because most people dont have the technology to really see that extra performance, and dont really need that extra .5 seconds off their lap time.