jato 2.5 upgrade to 3.3?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroNick82

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have been out of this hobby for quite a while now. I recently bought a new traxxas nitro slash and damn is it fun. Having a blast with this inspired me to pull out my old Jato 2.5 jato that looks like it should be put down. everything is shot on this thing cause it was run on the beach near saltwater, wasn't cleaned after and has sat for probably about 7 or 8 years dirty. All electronics are fried and trash. I took the whole thing apart to try and re educate myself on nitros. I disassembled the whole engine and cleaned it. Ordered all new servos, tranny, drive shafts, ez start, etc. I reassembled the engine and and installed all the new goodies and I can't get the thing to turn over. I can hear the ez start spinning but absolutely ZERO coming from the engine. So now I'm getting frustrated and wondering if I should just toss this old 2.5 and upgrade to the trx 3.3? If so, is it a direct drop in? or would i need to modify the chassis for it to fit? I was just trying to keep it as simple as possible. Help? and thanks!

The 3.3 should be a direct drop in. You might check to see if the one-way bearing (OWB) is installed correctly or if it just needs to be replaced, as this will cause the problem you're describing.

For me, the 3.3. would be way too much power for a jato. As it is, with the 2.5R, it's a somewhat uncontrolable wheelie machine. Check your OWB. Sounds like it's either gummed up from old oil/fuel or is installed backwards causing it to spin freely instead of grab and turn the engine over.

The Jato is a pretty mad thing- and uncontrollable at high speeds. I believe Traxxas do sell a 2.5 to 3.3 conversion kit for the 4 tec, which I presume will work with this.

@hamz9561 @olds97_lss good call on the OWB . Took it apart to try to clean it and realized I had never reinstalled it cause it was stuck in my old EZ Start crank. haha. Rookie mistake. Cleaned, oiled and installed it and it fired right up! You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the help.

@hamz9561 @olds97_lss good call on the OWB . Took it apart to try to clean it and realized I had never reinstalled it cause it was stuck in my old EZ Start crank. haha. Rookie mistake. Cleaned, oiled and installed it and it fired right up! You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the help.
That's what were here to do :)