J-B Weld - how the heck???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok guys I have a screw with stripped out threads in my steering linkage, when I try to screw it out it just turns and turns - regardless of which direction I turn it.

I've attempted to drill it out but the screw is putting up one hell of a fight. It was suggested I use J-B Weld to bond an old allen wrench to the screw so I could pull out while turning. So I bought some J-B Weld yesterday afternoon, which came in two tubes, one Red hardener tube, and one Black Steel tube.

The directions say to mix equal amounts then apply it to whatever your working on. I've done that I let it set over night, get up this morning twist the allen wrench just to test it...tada it turns, so I VERY lightly pull out on the screw and it happens. The allen wrench comes right off of the screw.

So how the heck do you use this J-B Weld? What did I do wrong? I've let it set as it recommened, I've mixed the two tubes in equal amounts and mixed it well, but the wrench just popped right off.

How do I use this crazy stuff?

-Michael

Use some steel wool and scuff the surface of the wrench. Clean the end with DA and try again.

If the JB is still on the screw side see if you can use a needle nose grabing the JB and work the screw out.

If all else fails you may need to find a Sears (HeHe) and get a screw extractor.

-Ed

I'm sure I could find a Sears somewhere in Bloomington, but I believe a screw extractor wont help me. As they only work for screws with stripped out heads not threads.

You push down on the screw while using the screw extractor to screw it out. I on the other hand need something that will "pull" it out.

I'll retry the J-B Weld, if this doesn't work then I'm throwing away the savage and closing the site. ;)

-Michael

Can you get a dental pick under the head and gently pry up while turning the screw?

I had to "weld" another screw to the one that was stuck in my chassis. sort of like this... --| |--

Then I just used a pair of pliers to yank on it.

I think the problem you had was that the tip of the allen wrench is not enough surface area for the weld to hold on to. Scruffing up the edged like Eddy says should help too.

BTW, what is the screw screwed into....if its plastic its almost not worth all the trouble cause you can't retap plastic. (or at least I have never had any luck with it)

The screw is stipped into the steering linkage, I'm not worried about damage that may occur to the linkage as I have already purchased a brand new Alum. steering linkage to replace the stock one.

-Michael

If that is the case then drill the screw, and chuck the linkage.

I'll see what J-B Weld does this second time around. If not then I'll have to buy a new drill bit as the one I was using wasn't doing much other then spinning the screw once it rounded the hell outta the head.

-Michael

:sniper: Damn screw! lol :boxing: Try JB welding a head of another screw to the striped head. JB weld is supposed to last longer then the things its stuck to! You can fix stripped plastic threads by putting a drop of glue into the hole and screwing a screw into it.

Do you own a dremel? just grind the head off that sucker?

don't grind the head off...then you'll have nothing to grab. what you can do is grind some of the middle out, then grind a little bit off of the side of the head of the screw. that way you can take a pair of needle nose pliers and grip the head and turn it out. hope that works for you.

-Bryan

J-B Weld sucks!

This is now the second time I've tried using this crap both times fail as soon as a even start pulling on the screw. I'm done with it, I'll take it to my parents house and have dad spot weld an old drill bit to the screw head then we'll use a drill to spin and pull it out.

I wont be using nor recommending J-B Crap to anyone.

-Michael

You just dont know what your doing! lololol

Is this still the steering linkage?

Yup still the damn steering linkage - I swear the truck has sit on the bench more then I've ran it.

-Michael

That sucks man!

Well, if you want, I can send you my stock steering linkage for now. I just picked up the GPM setup.

Well if he can't get the old one off his truck what good does having another do???

He could use a hack-saw blade to cut between the chassis and the post itself. That should at least get it off. I think the reason he didnt cut it was so he could salvage it if at all possible (the screw)

Chris I may look into getting a hack-saw blade in there and cutting it in half. I could care less about the stock linkage, I've already have a replacement for it, I've had it for sometime now, just jacking around trying to get the old one off.

-Michael

If you can get at it, another method would be to use a dremel tool and cutoff blade, since you don't care about the linkage anyway.

Yeah, Dremil straight into the head and save the linkage for something to work on, on a rainy day.