Its ToolTime!?!?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I have been using the same Hex wrenches for going on 4 years now. I have a set of Dynamite SAE and Losi Metric. They are now showing enough wear that I'm going to replace them.

I prefer to get a FULL matching set of SAE and Metric Nut Drivers and Wrenches.

I know we have had many "Whats the best tool" Threads in the past and I'm aware of the different units on the market.

What I would like to know is what you have UPGRADED to and why you like them better then the others you have used in the past.

PLEASE DON'T MAKE POSTS THAT SAY "Get Hudy they are the best".

I want to know what you are comparing your recommendation to and why...

Thanks.

i use all AE tools.

i got all the sets.. not a bad price for them also

before i used losi tools,dynamites and trinity drivers the reason i really like the AE tools is because they got a nice long tip for them hard to reach spots i had a problem with losi's short tips and the dynamites were just too damn heavy..

I'm not sure if your old drivers had small handles or large handles, but I'm going to say go with large handles. I have small handles on my drivers and when I use them for a big project I swear up a storm. My hands tend to cramp up and become useless, nothing pisses me off more then starting something and not being able to finish it.

VB me ? lol yea i got the new handles i just got the tools a month ago I've already put them to good use! lol

Get Hudy they are the best lol

I just recently bought a full set of Hudy ProfiTools to replace my Ofna wrenches. The handles are bigger, providing a better grip, and the shafts are longer for the hard to reach screws. The tips are also made of the Hudy Spring Steel for more strength & less wear. So far I am extremely happy with my purchase..
I bought these directly from Hudy.
http://www.hudy.net/eshop/index.php?Eshop_Session=1c2b8b9b817c52e058243ddffed3cd89

Last edited:
I wish you could get a ratcheting handle like the Snap-On ratcheting screwdrivers! I'm currently using some RD Logics hex wrenches. The tips seem to wear easily. I've got a couple different Hudy's and have to say they are far better. I'm looking to eventually go the route that IB did.

I use all my regular auto tools for stuff. Which is mostly craftsman mixed with some snap on and mac. I havnt got any rc brand name ones. Honestly I think a person is mainly paying for the name when it comes to Rc tools.

I dont use any rc brand.. too expensive.

snap-on, craftsman, and mac-tools.

lifetime free replacement if they break is a beautiful thing.

Try Team Integy, I like them but as of lately I have seen them breaking tips? I also am curious in this thread as I have not bought the Integy ones yet.

Here's the list of ProfiTools I picked up...

--Man Part- --Description--
111549 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip 1.5 x 120 mm
112049 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip 2.0 x 120 mm
112549 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip 2.5 x 120 mm
113049 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip 3.0 x 120 mm
125049 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip .050
126349 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip .063
127849 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip .078
129349 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip .093
107610 profiTOOL Exhaust Spring/Caster clip remover
153059 profiTOOL Slotted Screwdriver 3.0 x 150mm

I sold a nice set of Hudy tools last year and I'm sorry I did...they didn't fit into my pit box too well and the integy ones do....the Hudy pro tools Rock...the round aluminum handle ones....the ONLY issue I had w/ them was you can't really use them at the track...2 reasons....

1, the tables are never level so any time you lay it down they roll....soetimes right off the table...

2, they are easily spotted by theiving lil bastards and dissapear too quickly.....

but if those aren't issues then here's the pros:
the handles are real fat = more leverage on teh tip...easy to torque a screw w/o having to strain yourself on those PITA ones....
Like Ratzo said the longer tips are Really handy for some problems
and the spring steel is just unreal strong.....w/ the tiny one for pinion set screws you have to be real careful...usually I strip the set screw but w/ the hudy tools I could crank it down and split the pinion gear and bend the motor shaft before the screw stripped since the tool's fit is more precise.....
I use the integy ones now and they are nice....but it's the lil differences that I miss.....

ImBroken said:
Here's the list of ProfiTools I picked up...

--Man Part- --Description--
111549 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip 1.5 x 120 mm
112049 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip 2.0 x 120 mm
112549 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip 2.5 x 120 mm
113049 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip 3.0 x 120 mm
125049 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip .050
126349 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip .063
127849 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip .078
129349 profiTOOL Allen Wrench + Repl. Tip .093
107610 profiTOOL Exhaust Spring/Caster clip remover
153059 profiTOOL Slotted Screwdriver 3.0 x 150mm
How much was the whole set.

My next set is going to be from Bondhus. I've been using some from work and the tips are very nice. Handles are also nice and fat, and shaped more like a normal screwdriver.The only drawback is that the tips are not replaceable. They have a lifetime replacement guarantee so I'll have to keep the old set around should I have to send in for a replacement.

http://www.bondhus.com/

How do the Pro Hudy tools compare with the standard ones? I got a set of 3 with my XB8 and broke 2 of them while building the kit. I know the handles are different do they use the same tips?

I have the bondhus ball ends Ls and like the quality. I didnt know they made flat end drivers.

FastEddy said:
How do the Pro Hudy tools compare with the standard ones? I got a set of 3 with my XB8 and broke 2 of them while building the kit. I know the handles are different do they use the same tips?

I have the bondhus ball ends Ls and like the quality. I didnt know they made flat end drivers.

From the website..
HUDY profiTOOLS are based on highly-successful Hudy Professional Tools used by RC factory teams and world champions, and are available in most popular sizes and types. Each tool has a special, CAD-designed tip made of world-renowned Hudy Spring Steel™ to very precisely fit the corresponding fastener, allowing unmatched torque and long life. Lightweight, comfortable molded handles with machined hubs are designed to allow easy tip exchange.

• most affordable professional tools with unmatched value
• special composite handle with perfect handgrip design for unsurpassed grip and torsion
• three different handle sizes for maximum torque
• alu machined hubs for easy tip exchange
• tips handmade from world-renowned top-secret Hudy Spring Steel™

Hudy profiTOOLS are available in all sizes and various lengths, types, and measurements:
• inch and metric hex and ball-hex drivers
• slotted and Phillips screwdrivers

I think that the only difference between the pro tools and the profiTOOLS is the composite handle, as opposed to the aluminum handle. The profiTOOL handles are not round, so the rool off problem isnt an issue..

SIRMAXXALOT said:
How much was the whole set.

I believe all the tools listed were just over $120.

I have to agree with Andy and Sunfish at this point. All I use is Craftsman at this point. Got a whole rollaway full of tools that just sits in the garage anymore, so I'm putting it to good use with the RC. Hey, does anyone know how to magnatize a tool (like a screwdriver) Do you get a magnet and run the tip of the screwdriver North to South. Will that magnitize it at that point.

I just got off the phone with Bondhus. I have to say they have one of the best CS teams I have ever dealt with. They were able to answer or find the answer to every question I had.

The first thing I learned is that do not make a flat tip hex with a screwdriver handle. I explained what I was looking for and what I was using it on and they advised me not to use their tools for every day insertion and removal of ALUMINUM screws with their ball point drivers. The claim to fame of their product is the strength of the metal used on the ball ends. The strength makes it possible to get up to a 25% angle 360 degrees without braking as a minimal amount of the tool contacts the inside of the screw.

This is all fine and dandy for most screws made of hard metals with a light to medium torque range. Where it fails for me is when using aluminum screws. The aluminum will give inside the head given the fact that a minimal amount of the tool will be in contact with the inside walls.

As for cutting the ball ends off, they said it will weaken the metal and getting a good camphor end will be difficult unless you have access to a precision machine shop.

This is to bad. I like Bondhus tools.

I'm using Integy hexes. I like them for the most part. But I have noticed that with the small tips (.05" and 1.5mm) if you try to torque, they'll twist the tip. I didn't like that fact very much.