Its Resin Printing time.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJC_GUY

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
1000022159.png

I was off work for a couple of months and messed around with a lot of small parts in my custom diecast stuff and started looking at resin printers. With the Saturn 4 fa's approaching and some friends having good results with the "ABS like" resins the deal was good enough to pull the trigger.

I now of course need to completely reorganize my hobby room again to make room for the 3 units although I'm considering putting all but the cure station in our basement bathroom/utility room since it has a fan constantly running and has no exterior windows so it can be kept dark which is better for resin printing as I understand it.

Probably won't even start printing anything until next week when I get the gallons of ipa 99 I need for the wash station.

View attachment 189135

I was off work for a couple of months and messed around with a lot of small parts in my custom diecast stuff and started looking at resin printers. With the Saturn 4 fa's approaching and some friends having good results with the "ABS like" resins the deal was good enough to pull the trigger.

I now of course need to completely reorganize my hobby room again to make room for the 3 units although I'm considering putting all but the cure station in our basement bathroom/utility room since it has a fan constantly running and has no exterior windows so it can be kept dark which is better for resin printing as I understand it.

Probably won't even start printing anything until next week when I get the gallons of ipa 99 I need for the wash station.
You'll want some ventilation. Resin printers stink. And you really don't want to be breathing those resin vapors.

You'll want some ventilation. Resin printers stink. And you really don't want to be breathing those resin vapors.
Well aware.

I already have a 200-600cfm exhaust system usually used for ventilating a grow room in my hobby room so I can do paint work and if I do set it up in the basement that bathroom has a 150cfm fan that I know should be sufficient because it's also the room with the mud sink we use for bleaching and soaking things and as long as the fan is on it pulls the odor right out.

Even with pla on the fdm I usually run the vent fan to pull particulates out when printing.

@FJC_GUY keep us posted on the resin printer once you've used it.

I just recently bought a Bambu P1S combo and have really enjoyed it. Thought about getting a resin printer too.

I just recently bought a Bambu P1S combo and have really enjoyed it. Thought about getting a resin printer too.
I am familiar with 3D printing, which as far as I know uses nylons and plastics. What type of resin does a resin printer use, is it the same type used on fiberglass?

I am familiar with 3D printing, which as far as I know uses nylons and plastics. What type of resin does a resin printer use, is it the same type used on fiberglass?
It is a UV resin. Lght cures it. So anywhere the laser focuses its beam in the resin, the resin solidifies.

I built a Peopoly Moai years ago. Wicked cool machine. It made prints with some very fine details, but I had to sell it for financial reasons. Wish I still had it.

It is a UV resin. Lght cures it. So anywhere the laser focuses its beam in the resin, the resin solidifies.

I built a Peopoly Moai years ago. Wicked cool machine. It made prints with some very fine details, but I had to sell it for financial reasons. Wish I still had it.
Wow, very helpful, thank you! I hope you are able replace it one day, this moment in time is surely a tough one for everyone, toughest I have ever seen. Cheers Bro!

Absolutely. This weekend is going to be mostly figuring out space for printer itself and the separate was and cure station setup I got. I looked at getting a combo wash and cure unit but that still leaves you with needing a place to put the ipa container or curing lid and turntable when you are doing the opposite process.

A lot of it will be for my diecast stuff. I've really been pushing the abilities for fine detail on my neptune 3 max on that stuff. It will also be great for stuff like beer cans, hubs, Jerry cans and other rc accessory stuff. It's also great for making headlight and taillight lenses that look realistic. Pixel size on it is 18x24 microns

I'm interested in the durability of the "abs like" resins. Some friends have used it for mechanical parts and say it's getting there quickly for durability.

Absolutely. This weekend is going to be mostly figuring out space for printer itself and the separate was and cure station setup I got. I looked at getting a combo wash and cure unit but that still leaves you with needing a place to put the ipa container or curing lid and turntable when you are doing the opposite process.

A lot of it will be for my diecast stuff. I've really been pushing the abilities for fine detail on my neptune 3 max on that stuff. It will also be great for stuff like beer cans, hubs, Jerry cans and other rc accessory stuff. It's also great for making headlight and taillight lenses that look realistic. Pixel size on it is 18x24 microns

I'm interested in the durability of the "abs like" resins. Some friends have used it for mechanical parts and say it's getting there quickly for durability.
There are a few guys on ebay selling 1.0 crawler wheels that are resin printed. I have often wondered just how well they will hold up. That was one thing with my resin printer. The parts were more brittle than PLA. But that was 7 years ago, so maybe resins have changed a lot since then.

There are a few guys on ebay selling 1.0 crawler wheels that are resin printed. I have often wondered just how well they will hold up. That was one thing with my resin printer. The parts were more brittle than PLA. But that was 7 years ago, so maybe resins have changed a lot since then.
I have a 1.9 beadlock I've printed in both pla and petg and both have held up really well. I'll try running them in the "abs like" resin once I get the printer dialed in. My buddy says the resin seems to hold threads pretty well.

I have a 1.9 beadlock I've printed in both pla and petg and both have held up really well. I'll try running them in the "abs like" resin once I get the printer dialed in. My buddy says the resin seems to hold threads pretty well.
That's a really good sign if it will hold threads. I have 3d printed 1.0 to 1.9 wheels as well that all seem fine. But back when I had my resin printer, I was designing wheels for FDM, and I just knew resin wheels wouldn't hold up. So I would love to hear your results with them now.

That's a really good sign if it will hold threads. I have 3d printed 1.0 to 1.9 wheels as well that all seem fine. But back when I had my resin printer, I was designing wheels for FDM, and I just knew resin wheels wouldn't hold up. So I would love to hear your results with them now.

I'm honestly surprised at how many mount and dismounts I've been able to do with the current ones in both materials. I've had both sets apart multiple times and I still have yet to pull a bead. Especially with how much stress I've put on them since going to the Fusion Pro. I've really pushed through a bind a couple of times.

Going to be cool, resin printers can throw down some wicked detail. I've bought a few resin prints and have been totally blown away.

Going to be cool, resin printers can throw down some wicked detail. I've bought a few resin prints and have been totally blown away.

I had been getting deeper and deeper into custom Hot Wheels and similar sized cars. I started hacking them up with a jewelers saw and making parts for them and the Neptune was doing a fair job with a .2 nozzle and .01-.05 layer height.

This is a full custom chassis, bumper, leaf springs and axles done on my FDM

PXL_20240323_045228252.NIGHT.jpg

The first truck is the stock version and the others are ones I have cut up and built parts for.

PXL_20240315_165942978.jpg

PXL_20240317_025515827.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240315_000952639.jpg

PXL_20240314_201135891.NIGHT.jpg

Campfire printed in white PLA pro then colored with sharpies and filled with part of a strand of 3v mini leds.
PXL_20240328_230511921.NIGHT.jpg

Spent Sunday setting up the printer and running calibrations for resins.

Printer on the left is probably in its semi-permanent home, to the right is the wash station. The yellow dome is for the curing station. Both of them are pretty portable. I'll need to buy stock in 99% ipa, paper towels and gloves lol. The wash station holds almost 2 gallons of ipa and I also need a prewash bucket and bucket for the build plate. I did test out the trick for cleaning ipa by letting it sit in the sun in a clear bottle the filtering the cured resin sediment out and that works well.
1000022281.jpg

First prints after calibrations. Not bad overall. 4 of the 6 chairs survived haha and some lessons learned.

The detail is stunning. This is all 1/64. I started with regular resin and will move on to abs like next.

1000022261.jpg

1000022268.jpg

1000022265.jpg

1000022272.jpg

do you make custom parts for people? I'm people. I'm trying to get 2 small pieces made for my ecto. any chance this may interest you @FJC_GUY ?

do you make custom parts for people? I'm people. I'm trying to get 2 small pieces made for my ecto. any chance this may interest you @FJC_GUY ?
I don't have any plans to at this point for a couple of reasons.

1) I'm pretty new to design work and am not comfortable enough designing to do commission work.

2) Same caveat with the resin printing. @

3) I've often found that when a hobby turns into a paying gig it often loses its appeal as a hobby.

If there is interest in designs I do in the future I may mass produce some but I have no plans for commission work at this point.