It's Alive!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xraycer

RCTalk VIP
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
More than 10 years ago, my Redcat Earthquake 8.0 sustained some damages, and had been collecting dust on a shelf since then. I've recently returned to the hobby, and have set out to resurrect all the vehicles the have been damaged and have since been in hibernation. About 8 of them, I believe šŸ™„.
Well, the Earthquake is now up and running. I had to replace a few dog bones and bearings, and rebuilt all the shocks. I just want to now replace the pathetic 9kg original stock steering servo. It's really surprising it can actually turn the huge tires at all.
These early 1/8 Redcats were just not built very beefy, so I can't be treating it like my Arrma Granite. However, it just feels good to be able to bring it back to life!
0416211151a.jpg

0416211152b.jpg

0416211152_Burst01.jpg

Looks like she is in great shape, have fun.

The body is super clean, and that is because it was never used. When the truck was running, I was using a used Duratrax Warhead body that I already had on hand.
Makes sense, looks brand new.

I spent a couple of hours tonight replacing the weak, stock servo on the Earthquake with a much stronger servo from an MGT 8.0. I'm planning on reviving this nitro beast at some point in the future as well, but they be another story.
This Redcat Earthquake was not engineered, with easy maintenance for the owner, in mind. You have to take nearly the entire truck apart to remove/replace the steering servo. The MGT 8.0 is significantly easier.
I'm gonna have to wait until hopefully Sunday for the wet weather to pass, to fully open up the EQ

I spent a couple of hours tonight replacing the weak, stock servo on the Earthquake with a much stronger servo from an MGT 8.0. I'm planning on reviving this nitro beast at some point in the future as well, but they be another story.
This Redcat Earthquake was not engineered, with easy maintenance for the owner, in mind. You have to take nearly the entire truck apart to remove/replace the steering servo. The MGT 8.0 is significantly easier.
I'm gonna have to wait until hopefully Sunday for the wet weather to pass, to fully open up the EQ
You have to take the entire truck apart to remove the servo? Yikes!

You have to take the entire truck apart to remove the servo? Yikes!
Not everything. Just nearly everything sitting on the chassis. Lol.
There's one servo screw that sits under a portion of the motor mount. Then there's are 3 brackets that sits over the motor mount and the entire drivetrain. The electrical box sits on top of the brackets. Yep, PITA!

Oh, I see, the one dang screw obstacle. Been there before, the entire time asking myself why the heck did they do this!!!

Finally got the EQ to the track today, and it did rather well. It handled much better than I thought it would. It was fun driving it around, but I did a number on the body though. I think I should be able fix it. If not, the Warhead body is going back on.

More than 10 years ago, my Redcat Earthquake 8.0 sustained some damages, and had been collecting dust on a shelf since then. I've recently returned to the hobby, and have set out to resurrect all the vehicles the have been damaged and have since been in hibernation. About 8 of them, I believe šŸ™„.
Well, the Earthquake is now up and running. I had to replace a few dog bones and bearings, and rebuilt all the shocks. I just want to now replace the pathetic 9kg original stock steering servo. It's really surprising it can actually turn the huge tires at all.
These early 1/8 Redcats were just not built very beefy, so I can't be treating it like my Arrma Granite. However, it just feels good to be able to bring it back to life!View attachment 126448
View attachment 126449
View attachment 126450
Not 100% sure but the tire's seem to be put on backwards. The tread looks like arrows and they should be facing the front, maybe? I love it though, good job restoring it!

Not 100% sure but the tire's seem to be put on backwards. The tread looks like arrows and they should be facing the front, maybe? I love it though, good job restoring it!
Hmm I never even have it a thought. Next time I'm at the track, I'll run it initially as is, then swap them around after a battery change. I'll see if it makes any difference in handing.

Hmm I never even have it a thought. Next time I'm at the track, I'll run it initially as is, then swap them around after a battery change. I'll see if it makes any difference in handing.
Okay. We have a landslide XTE with the same tires.

I just Googled it, and they are facing the other way. I'm still going to try them in both directions to see if I can tell any differences.
Well, I didn't get a chance to swap around the wheels. After about 10min of running laps around the dirt track, a grinding noise started by the rear diff on high throttle. Don't see anything obvious, so I'll have to pull it apart to see if I can figure out what's going on.

The Earthquake is down, but the 1/8 Xceed Madwarrior is up and running again. I know this truggy had a broken A arm, but apparently I had fixed it, even though I don't have any recollection of doing so. In any case, it's a pleasant surprise.
The Madwarrior is running well for being shelved for nearly a decade. The plan is to tear it down and relube everything, but the Earthquake will need to be serviced first. I forgot how significantly beefier the Madwarrior is in comparison to the Earthquake. I'm really enjoying the power, durability and stability of this truggy.
0430211842a.jpg
0430211842_Burst01.jpg

In my continued goal to revive all the old rc, today I ran the Wraith. This is one vehicle with no damage to report. Just popped in a 2S and crawled around the back lot. Forgot how much fun the Wraith is! I'm pretty sure the Predator is happy to get off the shelf
and hit the trail again as well.
My plan for this vehicle is a strong servo and work on the cosmetics.
0430211542a_Burst01.jpg
0430211542_HDR.jpg