Is this a good option for Lipo Storage?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

I am looking at storing my Lipo batteries in my basement RC room in one of the below small fire safes. Is this a good option? Thanks guys.

Tom

20140518_133702_zps35b6f32a.jpg

The only bad thing about doing that is if one pack catches fire you lose all of your packs.....don't put all of your eggs in one basket! Hobbyking sells lipo bags for about $5 each, that's cheap enough to have one for each pack or each pair.

I use a Sentry for my LiPo storage and bags when I charge or transport. My issue with storage in a bag is that if a pack was to go up, flames could shoot out of the gap in the flap which could be an issue depending on where the bag is being kept.

My fear exactly. I plan on storing them in the bags in the fire safe. My only concern is that the fire safe wouldn't contain the flames. My hope is that the safe would contain everything and I would only have to deal with the smoke. Do you store your packs inside your house?

I use my wife's pillow case, I figure she'd wake up if there was an issue....:D

I actually use a lipo sack and ammo can, I don't have any really big or expensive packs though.

I definitely wouldn't keep them all in one safe...I would have to split them up between a couple of them. The fire safes are only abot $35 a piece so ot would not be too expensive to get a few. I dont have real expensive packs but I wanted to keep them in the basemet which stays cooler than the garage. The way I understand it is better to keep them cooler than hotter. The real issue is protecting the house....if I have to buy a couple of new packs is better than a house I figure:)

@godale03 I currently store my lipo's in an old metal military ammo box. The clasp keeps the lid firmly in place.

SMaxxin certainly raises a concern about losing all of them but I don't have tons of money wrapped up in batteries and I'm more concerned about losing the entire garage/house then a few hundred dollars worth of batteries.

Last edited:
@godale03 I currently store my lipo's in an old metal military ammo box. The clasp keeps the lid firmly in place.

SMaxxin certainly raises a concern about losing all of them but I don't have tons of money wrapped up in batteries and I'm more concerned about losing the entire garage/house then a few hundred dollars worth of batteries.

Exactly my logic as well. I want the worst of my problems to be having buy new batteries. I do not keep them in the garage because my garage is not temperature controlled. My basement is completely underground and stays cooler. Even though it is a finished space. The way I understand it, it is better to keep them in a cool dry place and my rc room down in the basement certainly fits that bill. I never thought about ammo cans... I did go out and buy the fire safe already... it was only $35 and it holds 2 4s batteries which are in lipo sacks with room to spare. If you think the ammo cans would be better I can certainly go that route and only be out $35. Thanks

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say I've tested comparing an exploding LiPo in a ammo box vs a small lock box but the ammo box certainly seems to be doing the job and I don't believe I have to much to worry about should one or all of the batteries ignite in the ammo box.

We have an army surplus store in town and the ammo boxes are certainly cheap, like $5-10 each. The way these boxes close I think the only chance of an internal fire to spread inside these boxes would be for it to melt the box as I don't fear the lid would come off easily.

Unfortunately, the ones I saw at Harbor Freight were plastic.

Go to your Army surplus store. They will have the ones you want, in metal, and cheap.

If you don't have an army surplus store then check craigslist, if none there then click here to buy from ebay.

Do you keep your lipos inside or out in a garage or shed? The ammo cans seem like a real good cheap option and if its good enough for Uncle Sam it is good enough for me right? :D

I have an attached garage that's insulated so while it goes get pretty warm and a little chilly it doesn't get extreme. I keep the batteries in the box, on the floor under my work bench.

I have an attached garage that's insulated so while it goes get pretty warm and a little chilly it doesn't get extreme. I keep the batteries in the box, on the floor under my work bench.

And you don't have any issues with puffing or loss in capacity? Because If I can get them out of my finished basement... I am thinking it might be a good idea. My garage is also insulated... not temp controlled but insulated and drywall.

Tom

I have two lipo packs for my cars and two LiFe packs for my transmitter. I don't race and I haven't spent a ton in batteries so from that type of user prospective the batteries appear to be working just fine. If I've lost any capacity it's not noticeable to me and all the batteries look brand new to me.

I have two lipo packs for my cars and two LiFe packs for my transmitter. I don't race and I haven't spent a ton in batteries so from that type of user prospective the batteries appear to be working just fine. If I've lost any capacity it's not noticeable to me and all the batteries look brand new to me.

That's great news to me. I bash more than I race and I to do not have a ton invested in batteries. I have enough invested that I need to make sure I treat them right...but not a fortune. I'm glad to hear you have not had any issues with your packs stored in the garage. How often do you run your rc's?

Been meaning to upload these photos for a while now, sorry it took so long.

Most the batteries are in hard cases but for example the @Killer RC and the yellow LiFe battery are not and they look as good as new.

apqjmlM.jpg

dPfDX7S.png

5CyDMgf.png

Again it's a cheap solution and I feel very comfortable that if there was a fire it would obviously catch them all on fire but I feel it would remain in the box and wouldn't penetrate the box.

Anyone willing to send me lipo's to test this theory? :D

Last edited:
Back