Is there a way to use wheels that are for 14mm hubs on 17mm hubs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneileous

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
No luck with Google- so I thought I’d try here. My Revo 3.3 is one of the older revos that came standard with 14mm hubs. I’m thinking about upgrading the hubs to 17mm so I can have a larger selection of tire choices and instead of trying to get even close to the money I spent on the two sets of Traxxas 14mm wheels, is there an adapter or a way to use the 14mm hex rims with the larger 17mm hubs? I’d really like to avoid having to change out hubs whenever I wanted to use my Talons or my Chevron T-Maxx tires if at al possible. Thanks.

Looking at the Traxxas exploded views of the current Revo 3.3

Confirming that you have the 5451X/5451R driveshafts, correct?

If so, the conversion to the 17mm hubs is pretty easy. You can just buy the 5353X 17mm wheel hubs. When removing your old 14mm hubs, it should be held in with a pin. You can just pry out the hub, remove the pin, and replace them with the 5353X 17mm wheel hubs. You will then use a set screw, instead of a pin, to lock it into place, and you should be ready to go.

Hope this helps.

No, lol, what I’m trying to do is figure out a way to use wheels made for 14mm hubs on my truck once I upgrade to 17mm hubs.

Kinda like this, but the opposite. https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-mm-to-1...-/224265700120?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Once I upgrade my Revo to 17mm hubs, I’m gonna have two sets of wheels that are gonna essentially become useless unless I either just swap the hubs out anytime I go from one type of wheel to the other or just get rid of the wheels altogether and go all 17mm wheels.

Ahhhh... Gotcha. Sorry about that.

I did take out the 17mm hub on my newer Revo to try the T-Maxx chevron tire that required (I believe) a 12mm hub.

Like you, I was looking for an adapter to be able to keep my 17mm hub and pop something on to use those Maxx chevron tires and couldn't find anything. I simply just popped off the 17mm hubs and put on the T-Maxx hubs on the axle and learned to live with changing them back to the 17mm hubs when I wanted to put on my Badlands.

Anyway, cheers to ya.

Ahhhh... Gotcha. Sorry about that.

I did take out the 17mm hub on my newer Revo to try the T-Maxx chevron tire that required (I believe) a 12mm hub.

Like you, I was looking for an adapter to be able to keep my 17mm hub and pop something on to use those Maxx chevron tires and couldn't find anything. I simply just popped off the 17mm hubs and put on the T-Maxx hubs on the axle and learned to live with changing them back to the 17mm hubs when I wanted to put on my Badlands.

Anyway, cheers to ya.
Well, since it’s apparently easier to adapt to a smaller hex hub from alarger hex wheel, is there something better out there than those plastic ones in the eBay link?

I just thought of something- since Traxxas used those newly-designed plastic 17mm hubs on the new Maxx with those thick plastic spacers on the outside of the wheels, I just bought a new Maxx and the same day I got it which was this past weekend, I had pulled those stock hubs off and used the aluminum 17mm hubs that use the special “T” wrench as a lug wrench I had bought previously for use on my Revo.

I’m thinking those adapters from Ebay should work, just substituting the skinny plastic spacers they come with for the much thicker ones that was on my Maxx. Heck, if it was good enough to be factory for the Maxx, it should work on my Revo, shouldn’t it?

No luck with Google- so I thought I’d try here. My Revo 3.3 is one of the older revos that came standard with 14mm hubs. I’m thinking about upgrading the hubs to 17mm so I can have a larger selection of tire choices and instead of trying to get even close to the money I spent on the two sets of Traxxas 14mm wheels, is there an adapter or a way to use the 14mm hex rims with the larger 17mm hubs? I’d really like to avoid having to change out hubs whenever I wanted to use my Talons or my Chevron T-Maxx tires if at al possible. Thanks.
In a word, no, there isnt an adapter to do what you are looking to. Your only possible option is to get a set of PL Raid wheels with removeable hex, and put your tires on them, but that means ungluing your tires from the current wheels, and then gluing them to the Raid wheels, and rebalancing them, or get a set of 17MM wheels and putting your tires on them.

Back