Is it possible to soften hard tires?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tires on my Kyosho Raider have a good amount of tread left, but are hard due to age (1989), there is no cracking or other signs of rotting except for them hardening. And new tires are super hard to find due to the odd size of the wheels. chatting in here guys. You only get one entry per day 😉
yeah don't or them see ur girl changing! Lol

I wondering if Armor All would work?

makes them softer. I’ve actually ruined new tires by forgetting I left it on them, get stretchy like a condom. Lol. Bout 2 hours. I use it on all my new tires. For the old tires I do about 15-20 minutes per coat. Wipe off the wet after that time. Keep doing that til you get close. Can also do just sides or tread if one needs more than the other. Then run it some to break the tires back in.

It’s a good trick if your tires are to hard for a track and that the only set you brought. Can soften them and drop a dot or 2 for grip.
Just got my SXT today. Looking to really soften up these FMS Atlas stock tires. These tires are decently soft, but I'm hoping to make them a lot softer.View attachment 141448
Well, it's been over 24 hours, with 2 coatings, and no change in softness. 🙁

I just applied a 3rd coat, and will check again tomorrow.

Well, it's been over 24 hours, with 2 coatings, and no change in softness. 🙁

I just applied a 3rd coat, and will check again tomorrow.
Darn. Never had a set not get softer with it. If it still doesn’t work after that third coat shoot me a pm. I’ll PayPal ya what you spent on it if you want for reminding it.

This reminded me of F1 racing, they pre heat the tires before they run the car. Maybe in a tournament application you could tape some hand warmers to the tires right before the run? Just a thought?

Darn. Never had a set not get softer with it. If it still doesn’t work after that third coat shoot me a pm. I’ll PayPal ya what you spent on it if you want for reminding it.
Nah, it's all good, Bro!

Perhaps, it's the rubber compound. I'm going to try these on my WPL Hilux stock tires as well.

Darn. Never had a set not get softer with it. If it still doesn’t work after that third coat shoot me a pm. I’ll PayPal ya what you spent on it if you want for reminding it
Man, that's really nice of you! :)
This reminded me of F1 racing, they pre heat the tires before they run the car. Maybe in a tournament application you could tape some hand warmers to the tires right before the run? Just a thought?
And like how in RC drag racing, the pros often bring a little section of carpet, like 1.5x1.5', and they'll hold the car by the end of the wheelie bar, and do a semi-burn out on the carpet to get those tires toasty!

Back