Is it My Ball Diff?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snotrockits

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Trying to diagnose if my ball diff is barking at me, or if its something else.
When jumping my RC10B6.2d I hear a quick little "chirp" when hitting a jump or landing from a jump (quick torque changes), however it does not make any noises when accelerating on level ground or when I do the "pin the wheels and stab the throttle" method for slipper setting. I have only so far gotten about 10 mins of track time before the chirp starts on a newly built ball diff. I have rebuilt my ball diff thrice now and am getting ready to throw the darn thing out the window. Two different ball diff kits. Ball diffs have nicer, mirror finished slipper rings, caged ceramic thrust bearings, ceramic main bearings and plenty of grease. In setting up the diffs I'm fairly confident that I have broken them in correctly and set them to the proper tension, and even beyond. Yesterday I had the diff cranked all the way down and then backed off a 8th turn: diff feeling was tight but smooth, and yet still there it was, the notorious "chirp" on the jumps.
I'm thinking its got to be something elsewhere in the drivetrain:
~Bad bearing?
~Old slipper disks? (yes, the slipper disks are old, hopefully thats the obvious answer, which is odd, as there is no chirp on slipper setup).
~Dirty slipper pads?
~Overheating slippers? (should I look at vented V2 slippers?)
~Something the motor is doing during the torque change?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, as its keeping me from racing.

I don’t think the slippers sounds to me bearing issue slipper if ur having issues with that it’s going to be constant. Bearings hit and miss. Try out under a load free hand and see if u can hear it I’m almost for sure bearing wheel ect.

Back