Is anyone always worried that you're running lean all the time?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldvod

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Even though they have all the signs that its just right ( or slightly rich ). I need reassurance that I'm not the only one who thinks of this constantly

Even though they have all the signs that its just right ( or slightly rich ). I need reassurance that I'm not the only one who thinks of this constantly

Not sure ,use a heat gun or a water test ,a drop of water that sizzles off in a few seconds is hot ,too lean!
But it is possible that the engine will run leaner when your tank level gets lower ,retune at 1/4 tank!
But to be safe ,if your engine has a chatter sound then you are lean an if your not sure ,just richen it
up a tad ,like a width of a screw driver at a time!..:thumbs-up:

Not sure ,use a heat gun or a water test ,a drop of water that sizzles off in a few seconds is hot ,too lean!
But it is possible that the engine will run leaner when your tank level gets lower ,retune at 1/4 tank!
But to be safe ,if your engine has a chatter sound then you are lean an if your not sure ,just richen it
Thanks I'll try that
I just tried it. it lasted 10 seconds and didn't evaporate. Is that ok?

Last edited:
I'm a total noob, so here is my take (when I finish my break in). Correct me if I'm wrong.

After watching some videos, running rich means the performance is sluggish and running lean means its fast off the line. So I will be aiming for in between those.

I can feel it with the break in when running rich. The car has very poor throttle response and sluggish to get away. On tank 5 during break in, I will start leaning it out until I hit that spot.

I guess if you are racing, you want it to be the leanest you can get it, but for a pavement basher like me, I don't need it spot on. I can live with running a bit on the rich side.

For bashing, or just playing around, I always tend to go a little rich. With racing, especially drag racing, I get it as lean as I can without it starving or idling up too high.

For bashing, or just playing around, I always tend to go a little rich. With racing, especially drag racing, I get it as lean as I can without it starving or idling up too high.
Yeah I won't go to lean for bashing as well. What's the point when the area you are in is not long straights. LOL!

I have been running nitro since the mid 80’s and the rule was always lean till it is responding well on all levels and still smoking. But with the new nitro that is not always the best signal, for instance Traxxas 33% smokes much less. I must say that freaked me out the first time I filled my jato.

I have been running nitro since the mid 80’s and the rule was always lean till it is responding well on all levels and still smoking. But with the new nitro that is not always the best signal, for instance Traxxas 33% smokes much less. I must say that freaked me out the first time I filled my jato.

Yes ,I've seen that in a lot of cases on peoples vids were you barely see any smoke ,an in some cases
you see a ton but the engine is quite tuned ,so you have to rely on the engines sound an how it performs
an let your engine tell you what it needs ,you can also smell the difference of the fuel burn ,an in some
cases people are now relying on a heat temp gauge or the OG spit test!..:thumbs-up::cool:

Back