Incinerator - spare spare parts nitro drag build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnydmd

Beer drinker and hell racer
Supporter
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
This car wasn't supposed to happen. I had cut off my "new cars" limit for the year, but I had the OG Invader chassis just sitting there, a ton of spare parts, and I wanted to try 3d printing some parts to see if they would work/hold up.

I also had another reason. My brother in law had(has) stage 4 lung cancer. He was diagnosed in 2018, and after some surgeries to remove tumors from his brain where it had spread to, a lot of treatments, the cancer has been miraculously held in check since then. He's had an interest in my nitro drag racing for some years, and has been coming out to watch, and help out setting up the track at times. He was looking at buying/building a car, but his wife put a stop to it, apparently he already spends enough money on golf. (I say let the man live it up, who knows how much longer he's got - though the doctors seem optimistic he could hang around quite a while actually, which is pretty amazing considering the initial prognosis). I thought about just buying him one myself, but my wife (his sister) thought that might hurt his pride a bit. So, I thought of maybe building a "team" car, that he or anyone else who's car was down, or maybe some wives could drive. A car that if it crashed, I could just print out new stuff and not have to spend a lot of money fixing, given it would probably be driven by "newbies". So this car is "sort of" for him, and I hope he enjoys beating the hell out of it :D

296769566_1089792388308424_1676829577465988372_n.jpg

296751338_1878020679056723_8798667464778449740_n.jpg

Got a little more to do on it yet, but it's a few days away from an initial test. Still trying to figure out how a "budget" build still costs a few hundred dollars.

I accidentally cut the rocker panels off, dang lines were so faint I didn't see them. I'm gonna cut some strips and screw them on, should be ok.

Last edited:
You are a swell guy Johnny. And I think you took the better route by building him a car. If I had my choice of a RTR drag car, or one built by you... that's definitely a no-brainer. Your builds are just the best I've seen. So kudos for being a great bro-in-law.

And tell his wife... let the man spend every penny he wants, on whatever he wants. He's definitely paid his dues. My dad battled cancer for 3 years, and after he passed, and to this day, I wish I had done so much more to make his last days as happy as could be.

Just give the car to him when finished. I don't see how you doing something this nice for him could ever hurt his pride.

I don't know, I think you secretly hate him and your just trying to get him addicted so he will get in more trouble! 🤔 🤣 Seriously, this a cool move on your part, I hope it all goes as planned. It's always more fun when you can share. :thumbs-up:😍

Pretty much wrapped up the chassis. Didn't fire it up yet, but I will maybe tomorrow night. Gonna paint it tonight if I get time.

296564704_2024135964464354_3860152331001062611_n.jpg

297254109_1032052540810109_7458607390987066828_n.jpg

FR A-arms 3D printed? They look good . . . and beefy. Wheelstand ready, buddy. Body sits well on the chassis. Is it a Chevy II style? Good choice. Anxious now to see a run video. Great work. Cheers. 'AC'

Well this car is done :)

299202075_10223249465408398_1956736742415292610_n.jpg

299318327_10223249465848409_8738818768770455345_n.jpg

298735857_10223249465968412_1091479929054776913_n.jpg

298288781_10223249466048414_8777711002434711283_n.jpg

Haven't yet fired it up, hopefully in a few days, as I had my own health issue to deal with and am supposed to be taking it easy for a week (I will be fine, caught and fixed the problem before it caused a more serious problem).

Replaced the FDM printed pieces with soft resin printed pieces. Ran the car a bunch yesterday, it is a sleeper :)

302612102_1242318973182293_7511706017557592470_n.jpg

Little Dynamite .19 is a sneaky fast engine.

Car held up fine, though if I were building a full slider/roller for anyone I'd just buy the cheap stock parts, lotta work to save a few bucks with printing and prepping this stuff. However, the one part that is a must, the rear bulkhead, seeing no issues with and should hold up as good as the stock plastic.

I love this thing too! gonna need you to build me one please! 🤣

I'm gonna have at least one chassis on eBay in a week or two. Two of them I have sold already to team mates, but I've got two more to put together for the general public. After that I'll be putting together about five or six per month as I sell them and order more parts/materials with the returns.

I'm gonna have at least one chassis on eBay in a week or two. Two of them I have sold already to team mates, but I've got two more to put together for the general public. After that I'll be putting together about five or six per month as I sell them and order more parts/materials with the returns.
Lemme know if you make an electric chassis :)

Lemme know if you make an electric chassis :)

Not likely - my focus is solely on nitro and creating a competitive platform/formula in no prep racing. Currently there are no dedicated nitro SE chassis out there other than the Traxxas Nitro Slash, and it's limited to how competitive it is due to its drivetrain (small block, single speed).

Not likely - my focus is solely on nitro and creating a competitive platform/formula in no prep racing. Currently there are no dedicated nitro SE chassis out there other than the Traxxas Nitro Slash, and it's limited to how competitive it is due to its drivetrain (small block, single speed).
I get that. Around here the no prep scene is all electric unfortunately

I get that. Around here the no prep scene is all electric unfortunately

It's like that most places - but nitro no prep is gaining momentum. It's been pretty big in the South for a few years, starting with the Jato scene and now these guys are building Slash-based SE cars. Where I'm at in the DMV we've got something brewing, there's a couple of nitro SE groups that are coming together and joining up.

Nationally the brushless folks have been gatekeeping the nitro cars unfortunately. However, Houston NPRC has been running nitro in separate classes. Our NPRC group is doing cash days that will mix brushless and nitro.

It's like that most places - but nitro no prep is gaining momentum. It's been pretty big in the South for a few years, starting with the Jato scene and now these guys are building Slash-based SE cars. Where I'm at in the DMV we've got something brewing, there's a couple of nitro SE groups that are coming together and joining up.

Nationally the brushless folks have been gatekeeping the nitro cars unfortunately. However, Houston NPRC has been running nitro in separate classes. Our NPRC group is doing cash days that will mix brushless and nitro.
Sorry, Whats an SE car? Not sure I'm familiar with that designation.

Back