(In general) Suspension travel not vehicle specific.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnskevin58

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Hypothetical Question,
Setting the ride height with the grub screws that are on the lower A-arms how much suspension decompression would be normal.

Hypothetically let's say, I have my buggy to sit with the lower arms level, if I don't use the grub screws the suspension decompresses fully (Lots of upward chassis travel).
If I set it up for limited decompression using the grub screws would make the chassis have less upward travel because the grub screws limit the A-arms swing so to speak.
What's better lots of upward chassis travel or minimal chassis upward travel?

Just an example let's say with the car sitting on a table (A- Arms level ride height) and the grub screws set to limit, when I lift the car up the suspension might decompress about 1/16- inch (It takes about a 1/16 inch before the wheels lift off the table) vs IDK 1/2-inch before the wheels lift off the table via un-grubbed screw.
The measurements are only for sake of the question.

And of course, I know I have to have some chassis upward movement/swing, but I don't know what normal would be.
My driving environment won't have any jumps and will be hard pack dirt, high-speed oval running with minimal bumps.
So I'm thinking I don't need a lot of upward movement just enough so the weight of the mass moving upward doesn't bounce/pull the wheels off the ground.

So what is the norm with the grub screws?

Thanks in advance.
I may not be asking this question correctly.

Shock oil, spring tension, etc, etc. I get all that but was just wondering if people actually used the grub screws to limit the Up Swoop.
I watched a video of that Adam Drake, no I don't idealize anyone, but I was watching a video of him racing a truggy trying to see his suspension decompress, "Couldn't really tell but I noticed his truggy slams into the ground upon landing, pretty hard too.

"You know those Walmart spring suspension mountain bikes. where the springs are never tight enough, and you see people bouncing up and down while pedaling...LOL Thats kinda why I was asking about it. If it had any effect or not to handling in general.

You will also have to make sure that the axle does not pop out of the diff cups especially
if you drive on rough terrain & jumps when the shock is fully extended!..:cool:

You will also have to make sure that the axle does not pop out of the diff cups especially
if you drive on rough terrain & jumps when the shock is fully extended!..:cool:
Yeah, for some reason when the suspension is fully decompressed on this Ofna, the dog bones are nowhere close to falling out, surprised me.
I lost a lot of dog bones in my life. Always fun looking for them in grass, mud, and dirt at mid dusk.

I guess that would be one reason to have the grub screws though, I never thought of that.

When I do set it for on-road, I'll use the grub screws, my (Sold it) Serpent GT on-road rtr 3.5 used the grub screws to lower the chassis.

This is the result of that ,it pissed me off because it was a very expensive MIP super duty
CV that is rare an hard to find now!..:mad:

1666549037732.png

If I remember correctly it adds preload by shortening the shock stroke as opposed to just adding more tension to the coil. It also prevents the shock from topping out which is the cause of a majority of leaky shocks in RC.