I'm going to have to make a weekly shopping thread. (shocks)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan81

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So, while i'm looking at turnbuckles, i'm thinking about my shocks and how I should probably rebuild them, and put the proper oil in them while i'm buying stuff. I start looking at rebuild kits and 3 bucks each plus shipping, and thinking about the shafts and how they're pitted :( 7 bucks for a pair plus shipping, and while i'm at it, I might as well throw a new aluminum cap on them : 9 bucks plus shipping. 4 dollar bottle of oil. (how many do I actually need?)

Now i'm starting to get over the cost of a new set of stock shocks, am i right? Not to mention at the age of this thing, i'm sure the springs are worn out too.

Why go that route if I can get a brand new full set for 19.99 and free shipping.

What other options should I look at before I pull the proverbial trigger?

Anytime your at about 50% of the cost of buying the part brand new..its a no brainer to ditch the old ones.

Last edited:
Anytime your at about 50% of the cost of buying the part brand new..its a no brainer to ditch the old ones.

Ended up finding them even cheaper. set of fronts for 7 bucks, and a set of rears for 7 bucks. Added the jato rear turnbuckle set just for kicks to see if it will fit and it's still cheaper by 4 cents than the other set of shocks was.

:dance:

$14 that's pretty good! One bottle should be good for a couple rebuilds, I usually pick up a bottle when I'm in a hobby shop as my lhs is geared more to planes and helis and I few times I've gone in and he had none. My next closest hobby shop is 3 hours round trip so it makes sense for me.

If you're running the stock shocks GET ALUMINUM CAPS, the plastic caps will pop off. They're like Pringles, except once you pop, the fun does stop. With aluminum caps and TiNi shafts, the stock shocks are pretty good. If you decide to get some better ones, you can find the Big Bores on ebay for around $40-$45. I'm really liking my Losi Ten-T shocks on my Rusty, the threaded bodies make adjustments extremely easy and they seem to take some serious abuse.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Get a piston set so you can try different setups.

Back