I'm back.

• Thread starter SilentHunterKellen
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kwong2001 said:
Only problem with muscle cars, is they don't handle...all straightline

kwong really likes his twisties :)
:smoke:

SaVaGeR21 said:
I've never really liked import kinda cars n hondas like that. especially when they got ugly paint jobs and decals. i jus make fun of the car and think how stupid those people are when i see cars like that. i love 4x4s and american muscle. especially 67-69 mustangs. wow i can't wait till i can drive so i can buy myself a 67 fastback. lol
savager

Ill bet that you dont get a 67 fast as your first car. Your gonna drive an import 90% of the time unless you consider a ford focus a domestic. Just my .02

HumboldtBlazer said:
kwong really likes his twisties :)
:smoke:

Yup, it's true. My car only has like 130hp and is pretty damn slow. If I end up modding it this summer, i'll only do suspension and drivetrain. I really don't care about horsepower.

BTW, did you ever get your JIC's?

kwong2001 said:
Yup, it's true. My car only has like 130hp and is pretty damn slow. If I end up modding it this summer, i'll only do suspension and drivetrain. I really don't care about horsepower.

BTW, did you ever get your JIC's?

Nope. I ordered a K&N CAI which I can conver to Short Ram, and a AEM Bypass valve. I also bought two '04 tail lights.

'04-'05
04%20SE-R%20Tails%20Full.jpg

'02-'03
285887_40_full.jpg

This is my front end '02-'03
v3.jpg

This is the ugly (not mine) '04-'05 front end

770471_1_full.jpg

long story shirt the '02-'03 front end is hot and the '04-'05 rear end it sweet like puddin. So I have the nice front and I through the dealer f'up am getting my bump replaced and I asked for an '04 and they said ok (direct fit), and I just bought the tails so I am gonne be purtty! Sorry no Altezzas bs for me. Also I got some Eibach Pro-Lines as a quick solution to Tein Super Streets Coilovers. I also am bout to order my header (Hotshot). Booya foo! I got nismo sways front and rear from the factory with a LSD up front baby. Talk to me bout dem twisties! I live in Humboldt county. We are one big twistie!

Wait, you're putting on an '04 bumper? I thought all the SE-R's had a different bumper than even the base 04-05's? Anyhoo, yeah, the new style front end is HELLA ugly. Not to poop on your car, but I liked the tails with the clear turn signals...you can run a white bulb, instead of red or yellow. My car is a yellow turn signal and it annoys me. Might eventually get an 05 tailight set since it's white.

If I have new rims and tires when I goto socal for the RCCA speed challenge thing, I might have to stop by humbolt and check out these twisties you talk about. We only have a handful of really good ones in my area.

kwong2001 said:
Wait, you're putting on an '04 bumper? I thought all the SE-R's had a different bumper than even the base 04-05's? Anyhoo, yeah, the new style front end is HELLA ugly. Not to poop on your car, but I liked the tails with the clear turn signals...you can run a white bulb, instead of red or yellow. My car is a yellow turn signal and it annoys me. Might eventually get an 05 tailight set since it's white.

If I have new rims and tires when I goto socal for the RCCA speed challenge thing, I might have to stop by humbolt and check out these twisties you talk about. We only have a handful of really good ones in my area.

um twisties,

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm

Also I have the nice front, and there is an overwhelming consensis that the 04 tails look good and the 03 front looks good. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is why I am changing my rear :).

Anyways next is R-tune nismo cams, catback and exhaust, and Underdrive pullies. should be putting maybe if I am lucky 180whp to the ground. I highly doubt that car has 130 whp, it may have 130 crank hp. My car has 175 crank hp stock and 185lbs of torque per the factory specs ( torque=fun in twisties :) ), and it dynos consitantly at 147-155 whp. so at least a 20 hp drop. Now our car has a higher loss (can't figure it out, maybe it is the LSD) but you car runs 115 if it is cold outside, not trying to be mean. Now I may be worng, I never checked into it.

And Kwong, about the body styles. Yes the Spec-V and SE-R have different fronts and rears than the base models for sure. My front was only on the SE-R and SE-R Spec V '02'-'03 (very rare) and it had special 17' rim on the Spec V where the SE-R had '16s, but it had the same tails and rear bumper as the base, and what you see in the picture (orange car) is the '04-'05. It had smoked rear tails (upgrade from the base), the same rear bumper as the base, and it had Z inspired '17's that ehre different from the '02-'03 models. It's all really dumb poop and now I feel stupid for explaining it. Also the the Spec-V has blacked out front head light housings where the base has chrome. LoL!

Here is the whole conversion so you can tell (btw I don't car for those rims)

DSC00875.JPG

DSC00877.JPG

Last edited:
kwong2001 said:
Only problem with muscle cars, is they don't handle...all straightline
I agree with you to some point. The older cars yes due to all the weight. Just a tank and they show performance in a straight line. Cornering would be like being in a boat. THe newer muscle cars have lighter chassis and bodies. I still think the Imports handle better IMO.

Yeah, granted the newer "muscle" cars handle a lot better than the earilier once. But it's still the same concept, drop a big powerful engine, in a big heavy car, and go fast in a straightline. The viper is a perfect example. Although I think Dodge most likely improved the Viper a bunch when they restyled it.

Still can't get over the difference I saw at lapping day with a viper vs. a civic hatch in the corners. Exit speed difference was CRAZY

Do you have a vid Kwong? I saw an EG Hatch go toe to toe with a Camaro SS and the Camaro couldn't keep up with the EG in the turns. Lost the Camaro in the Straight away. The Camaro did catch up in the straight away but was back to losing in the turns.

HumboldtBlazer said:
um twisties,

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm

Also I have the nice front, and there is an overwhelming consensis that the 04 tails look good and the 03 front looks good. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is why I am changing my rear :).

Anyways next is R-tune nismo cams, catback and exhaust, and Underdrive pullies. should be putting maybe if I am lucky 180whp to the ground. I highly doubt that car has 130 whp, it may have 130 crank hp. My car has 175 crank hp stock and 185lbs of torque per the factory specs ( torque=fun in twisties :) ), and it dynos consitantly at 147-155 whp. so at least a 20 hp drop. Now our car has a higher loss (can't figure it out, maybe it is the LSD) but you car runs 115 if it is cold outside, not trying to be mean. Now I may be worng, I never checked into it.

Didn't say my car makes 130whp, I meant what Toyota rates it at, which I think is HP at the flywheel. Anyhoo, I think my car makes about 115whp or so. I know one of the best things about toyotas is how little drivetrain loss they have compared to other cars. 20hp loss isn't bad on your car. That's only like a 10-15%. I think 20% loss is standard on most cars.

That Highway 36 looks damn fun. Is it more of a high speed twisties or a low speed autox style? My car does better in tight low speed sections, high speed cornering sucks ass. I'm hoping I can improve it with my suspension

jon2 said:
Do you have a vid Kwong? I saw an EG Hatch go toe to toe with a Camaro SS and the Camaro couldn't keep up with the EG in the turns. Lost the Camaro in the Straight away. The Camaro did catch up in the straight away but was back to losing in the turns.

No video, was just something I saw. The civic had about a 10-15mph exit speed difference on corner I was watch, which was right before the straightaway. All I know is when I saw the cars come around the corner again, the civic was in front...lol

Have you seen the video of a Z06 trying to keep up with an S2000 on Laguna Seca? Their laptimes were the same, but it really shows the difference in power vs. cornering.

That highway has a little bit of everything. It has LOW speed cornering on high clifts and in low valleys, and it has high speed corners as well. It has hill climbs through twisties, and decents through twisties. It is 2.5hrs of fun. I feel winded after driving it vigorusly.

HumboldtBlazer said:
That highway has a little bit of everything. It has LOW speed cornering on high clifts and in low valleys, and it has high speed corners as well. It has hill climbs through twisties, and decents through twisties. It is 2.5hrs of fun. I feel winded after driving it vigorusly.

Sounds like a blast to drive. Are there a lot of cops on the highway?

:OT: Do any of you guys auto-x? I wanted to start last year but was workin weekends, but now that I have a M-F gig I can do it... can't wait till spring!

I did it once. It's a lot of fun. Only thing is you stay in 2nd the WHOLE time and the course is designed to limit you to around 70mph (if you're good). I think I hit about 58-60mph at max. Mostly it was in the 30-40mph range for much of the course. Great thing about autox is you put hardly an wear and tear on the car. Most you could do is burn your brakes up, but simple brake management will do wonders. My corolla's brakes fade fast under hard driving, so I had to manage my brakes quite a bit, even though it was wet out. Biggest downside to autox, you have to stand for a few hours and pick up cones drivers knock over. That definitely sucked for cuz my back felt like poop by the time I finished that.

Also, you might look into a lapping day at a local track. They're in the $100+ range as opposed to the $25-30 for an autox, but it's a lot of fun. Just make sure you have good clutch control and can heal-toe downshift good. It's a total blast to go through all the gears constantly. If I can get my car modded a bit, I wanna do at least one lapping day this summer. Big downside with lapping days is it's brutal on the car, so practicing good maintenance is essential.

Mr Honda, of the Honda Motor Corporation, died and went to heaven for judgement.
At the gates, St. Peter told Mr Honda, "since you've been such a good man and your
motorcycles have changed the world, your reward is, you can hang out with anyone you want in Heaven."
Mr Honda thought about it for a minute and then said, "I want to hang out with God. I have a question for Him".
St. Peter took Mr Honda to the Throne Room and introduced him to God.
He then asked God, "Aren't you the inventor of women?"
God Said, "Ah, yes. Indeed I am".
"Well," said Mr Honda, "Professional to professional, you have some major design flaws in your design."
1- There's too much inconsistency in the front-end protrusion.
2- It chatters constantly at high speeds.
3- Most of the rear ends are too soft and wobble too much.
4- The intake is placed way too close to the exhaust.
5- Plus the monthly down time and aggravation are outrageous, and don't even get me started talking about the maintenance costs.
"Hmmmm, you do raise some good points" replied God, "Lets have a wee look."
God went to his Celestial super computer, typed in a few things and waited for the results.
After a moment God said, "Well, it may be true that my invention seems to be flawed,
but according to these numbers, more men are riding my invention than yours.."

HumboldtBlazer said:

'02-'03
285887_40_full.jpg

i Hate those muffers. If you want you car to sound loud, drill a a hole into the muffler. It is cheeper.

kwong2001 said:
Just make sure you have good clutch control and can heal-toe downshift good. .

poop! Are you kidding me?! I can't heel-toe! LOL! I always mean to learn it but never really do.

LazyDave said:
i Hate those muffers. If you want you car to sound loud, drill a a hole into the muffler. It is cheeper.

Well that isn't the stock muffler, and I too do not like the coffee can look. But some like Greddy that look like that perform and sound great.

Lessen said:
poop! Are you kidding me?! I can't heel-toe! LOL! I always mean to learn it but never really do.

That's only for a lapping day, autox is just shift into second and stay in it.

Heal-toe downshifts isn't that hard, but it takes awhile to learn. For the first year of me driving stick, I couldn't heal-toe for poop. Finally when I let my friend drive my car, he started doing it and somehow I picked up on it. It's a lot easier if you have a pretty light flywheel and a decent short shifter, two things my car doesn't have :(. Best advice I can give you, when you blip the gas, don't completely let off of it when you release the clutch. It takes time to coordinate, so start slow doing low RPM downshifts so you don't blow your syncros.

Last edited:
kwong2001 said:
Sounds like a blast to drive. Are there a lot of cops on the highway?

NO cops whatsoever :)

Back