I really want to support my LHS but....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos2767

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I really to want to support them but when I ask for part's for my 3.3 Revo and he then proceeds to tell me that Traxxas does not make a nitro Revo, now we have a problem. After I was able to convince him to look at the box 3 ft in front of him, which was a nitro 3.3 Revo, he then told me the parts I was looking for were incorrect. I was looking for some turn buckles and he tried to sell me pushrods, I told him that those were incorrect and that the pushrods connect to the rockers and he assured me that they do not and the rockers were part of the suspension and the pushrods were not! Eventually I got him straightened out, which I still think he is confused, and they did not have the quantity of parts in stock that I needed. I was really frustrated explaining how the Revo works to the rc expert. He also asked me if I wanted the truggy version, the electric version or the monster truck version. I left the store with zero parts and decided to order from the bay! Ugh :angry: End Rant

I feel your pain! Recently went to a somewhat LHS with a friend. He was purchasing a brushless setup for his sons Stampede. Guy told him to drop the motor into a bucket of water and run it to break it in properly. I told him that's the old way of breaking in a brushed motor, he said brushed motor's are not water proof like a all brushless motors are I laughed and exited the shop.

With a dummy like that I tell him just sell me what I asked for.
Half the time the parts I'm looking for aren't even for the same MFG's truck, so I don't care what they where meant for.
I have given up on supporting the not very Local LHS, they never have what I need on the shelf and won't drop ship, so I end up making 2, 120~mile round trips for $20 in parts.
Even for fuel I order it by the case on~line as he now only carriers quarts of fuel @ $17 a pop!
And not even the fuel Brand & nitro % I want to boot. :(

Last edited:
Hate hearing stories like this as local hobby shops really do need our support. Unfortunately not all of them have the most informed employees. Maybe next time just give them a list of part numbers you need to order? :\

There as many guys giving bad advice online but that is a whole other thread.

Our (non-track) hobby shops are all employed with Traxxas guys. Makes sense as 100% of the folks who come in to those hobby shops are RedCat or Traxxas guys needing help.

Additionally they cater to guys with E-Maxx and things like that. If someone came in with a nitro they'd convince them to switch to electric.

I have no interest supporting anything like that. Why would I?

Thats whats crazy about the whole thing, this LHS is a HUGE Traxxas supporter. Also, I hear ya Woodie, I just need to have part numbers on hand! He got a real confused look on his face when I told him that I was going to use the Revo arms and shafts on a Slayer Pro. Lol

My local HobbyTown USA has a team of total pros that have all been there for years. There's nothing they don't know or nothing they won't do to help me out or a total newbie.
I've even been told that they don't have to order something for me because I got it in a previous order. :hehe:
They know what I have in stock better than I do.

Hobby shop employees are hit or miss. They're either on point or dumber than a bag of hair.
That's why I visit my local hobby shops with part numbers in hand. They either have the part I need or they don't. I refuse to be talked into what they think would be a better alternative part.
If they don't have what I need, I go home and order online myself.

Dang I can't believe the negative experiences you guys have with your LHS. The shop I go to which only 20 mins away, have really experienced guys who enjoy the hobby and will never sell you anything you don't need even if you ask for it unless you insist on buying. They even suggest I go online for certain parts if they don't have it in stock. They conduct races every Friday afternoon until 10pm as well. One time they even took my engine apart for free when I had a problem with it.

This is certainly a shop to keep supporting @M Shark!
Yeah I agree. Joplin recently got a new hobby shop,1st one since the tornado. But it sucks. I took my son with me to go check it out. 2 guys working,no other customers inside when we walked in. Neither looked up at us,neither spoke a word to us even when I threw an inviting comment out to my son. The prices were exceptionally high to boot,so we walked out and won't return.

That's a shame, Racer. They won't be there long, and if they were the only game in town it could have been a gold mine.

I feel your pain. It may just be a new guy or something.... He might just be a trainee. My local hobby shop (2 mins away) is good for model stuff, and they do sell odd branded nitro rc's like "boxcat" and other weird buggies- when I was new to the hobby, he tried to sell me a 1/10th buggy- I never bought it as I found a Trophy 3.5 (which is much better (the one he tried to sell me had plastic suspension)) for the same price. I bought in the Trophy 3.5 and asked him (presuming he knew what he was talking about) about a tuning issue (was a clutch spring gone, but I didn't know at the time) and the first thing he said was "because the suspension arm was a shiny plastic" (after I had accidentally got cleaning spray called GT-85 on it (trying to clean bearings) "that it means it is low quality plastic, and would break on the first drive" I've never broken it. ever. and never returned to the shop again..... I think he as just butt-hurt about how I didn't buy from him, which was fair enough. My other model shop which I can't go to often as it is quite far away (45mins) is an official HPI retailer, they all know what they're talking about and sell everything. And I mean everything. I have another LHS, but he only really sells fuel and other bits and bobs as it's mainly a mechanic, I know him well and he can get what you want in stock and does me a good price on fuel (£16 for 1UK gallon (1.2 U.S gallon).

Hate hearing stories like this as local hobby shops really do need our support. Unfortunately not all of them have the most informed employees. Maybe next time just give them a list of part numbers you need to order? :\
Have you changed the layout again? The user stats on the left looks different- and since when was this gift button here...never noticed it before. If you have changed the layout it looks tidier now (if you did) :)

Back