I have a question about but high speed needle and it's pinging sounds.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnitro2020

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
Is it normal for it to Ping just for a little bit and then die down but if it pains for too long that means you're high speed needle too lean? 7 listening to this video and I'm trying to identify how it should sound. Please help me.

I always use the factory settings. what ever you high speed needle is never go in more than 1/2 max. Especially if using fuel with less oil lube than 14%. with that in mind only go 1/4 max turn in from factory high setting.

I always use the factory settings. what ever you high speed needle is never go in more than 1/2 max. Especially if using fuel with less oil lube than 14%. with that in mind only go 1/4 max turn in from factory high setting.
I'm sorry but that was not what I was saying I'm not talking about a setting of a needle. I'm speaking about engine sounds when people saying the engine is pinging too much when you adjust the high speed needle after applying Full Throttle. I wanted to know yes or no is it supposed to Ping a tiny bit and then die down back to idle. But if it starts to Ping a lot more and a way that it takes longer for it to go back idling that's when you need to adjust the high speed needle. I want to know that the stuff I'm saying on this message is true? The reason why I'm making this post and asking this question is because I'm trying to get an idea about something that I'm trying to learn and regarding these nitro engines.

Factory settings I'm not talking about factory settings. I'm also not talking about needle settings. Talking about engine performance basically. Thank you for your input anyway.

NO. If you set the high correct there should be no ping sound. That means you're too lean. So I did answer your question and gave you good advice. Poor oil lube will also cause a ping sound. Don't use race blend car fuel for backyard bashing. It will shorten engine life. I am talking about engine performance. You have to adjust the high needle and it you loose the factory setting start point You can ruin you engine. You need to know where to start and stop with the nitro fuel using. Not all nitro fuel is the same. Since you're a noobie I suggest you stay on the rich side to prevent ruing you engine. A new nitro engine is expensive to replace.

Last edited:
NO. If you set the high correct there should be no ping sound. That means you're too lean. So I did answer your question and gave you good advice. Poor oil lube will also cause a ping sound. Don't use race blend car fuel for backyard bashing. It will shorten engine life. I am talking about engine performance. You have to adjust the high needle and it you loose the factory setting start point You can ruin you engine. You need to know where to start and stop with the nitro fuel using. Not all nitro fuel is the same. Since you're a noobie I suggest you stay on the rich side to prevent ruing you engine. A new nitro engine is expensive to replace.
i disagree with your oil content and fuel blends, but we are going to have to agree to disagree
Is it normal for it to Ping just for a little bit and then die down but if it pains for too long that means you're high speed needle too lean? 7 listening to this video and I'm trying to identify how it should sound. Please help me.
if the engine is pinging that is not good, means your engine is running lean typically.
is the engine pinging while accelerating? or is it pinging while letting off the throttle?
if during accelerating, your HSN is lean and starving for fuel, richen it up quite a bit to be on the rich side, then slowly lean back to good performance in small increments (1/12-1/8 turn, with WOT passes in between.)
if after letting off the throttle, your LSN is too lean, richen LSN quite a bit and slowly lean back to performance in small increments.

i disagree with your oil content and fuel blends, but we are going to have to agree to disagree

if the engine is pinging that is not good, means your engine is running lean typically.
is the engine pinging while accelerating? or is it pinging while letting off the throttle?
if during accelerating, your HSN is lean and starving for fuel, richen it up quite a bit to be on the rich side, then slowly lean back to good performance in small increments (1/12-1/8 turn, with WOT passes in between.)
if after letting off the throttle, your LSN is too lean, richen LSN quite a bit and slowly lean back to performance in small increments.
Yo want to disagree on fuel brands and blends? The facts are available for all to see. I don't make this stuff up. Each manufacture make fuel different. I have been using the same fuel bend for 30 yrs now 18% oil lube. Manufacture's keep trying to change it to save money. I have engine's from the late 80's that still rung strong from day one. More oil lube prevents a lean run and pining.

blends as in race/basher/etc, not manufacturer.
i am going to say this again, we are going to have to agree to disagree.

blends as in race/basher/etc, not manufacturer.
i am going to say this again, we are going to have to agree to disagree.
Who blends the fuel ???? the manufacture makes the fuel You don't.:eek::eek::eek:

blend type... figured my adding the Race/Basher/etc would have differentiated that.

blend type... figured my adding the Race/Basher/etc would have differentiated that.
WAY off o_O You can get fuel blended any what you want. There is not just 3 blends.:eek: It's all about the oil lube and nitro content. :D

1609958064023.png

last i checked "etc." wasn't a blend of fuel (see picture).
Blends types typically refer to different ratios of fuel and oil, so obviously yes, it is all about the oil, nitro, and methanol content.
Of course you can get specialty blends, never said you couldnt, but as far as readily available fuels to the general population's needs, it's not as common, and not always attainable, and can be niche, so doesn't always apply.
anything else you want to nitpick me on?

we both agree sufficient oil is needed for nitro engines to operate and to last.
I do not agree that more oil than 12% is better, and will start to adversely affect performance, tunability, and longevity of engine life as it increases past that.
proof is in the very science and definitions of stoichiometric mixture, air fuel ratio (AFR). etc.
i am content with the fact that you do not agree, and i do not care to discuss that topic further here.
feel free to rant if you want but i am done discussing it.

Last edited:
12% is race blend fuel. You can use that all you want for bashing. Os has always recommended 18% lube. Traxxas 14% lube. These are all the engines I ran for 35 yrs. I have never used 12% fuel in and nitro engine. Its pure junk in Os. A nitro engine is a nitro engine Air, boat car ect. all use nitro fuel. All I run is air 18% lube and I will never use less. Less oil lube prevents pining and a lean run and reduces war and damage to the engine and keeps it clean inside.. It has been this way since fuel was made. So you can pay the extra for 12% race blend all you want. I Bet you even buy fuel by the quarts too. The biggest rip off of all. Or save some money and just bash with air fuel 18% lube. There is more than one blend of fuel.

S-W Fuels (s-whobby.com)

Last edited:
Well I'm trying to find out is this to anybody that's seeing this actually including yourself. When you apply for full throttle the engine is supposed to climb up some just for a bit where there's no pinging, and then die down to a low idle sound? That's what I'm trying to get the idea here because I'm a bit confused and I studied this video below. I want to make sure is when I picking up is the correct information or one of the correct informations of tuning a nitro engine?

ALL I do is set the carb to factory settings and work from there. I get the idle to stay running and the low not to bog on take off and high not to ping. I set I leave it alone. I always stay on the rich side. I never mess with tuning do to temperature change and only run in summer. You will end up with junk if you keep fine tuning. Know where you needle settings are and stay away from the max needle settings.

My gut instinct leads me to believe you might be experiencing what the gentleman in the video is describing. I queued the video for you.

See Link:

Finally, for the rest of us...

frustrated the big lebowski GIF

My gut instinct leads me to believe you might be experiencing what the gentleman in the video is describing. I queued the video for you.

See Link:

Finally, for the rest of us...

frustrated the big lebowski GIF

I did this video it's about 40 minutes. A review video I hope the transparency will be better. Also have a question about the two stage idling that you had showed me from someone's video on YouTube. I get the feeling from the way he explained it and other people explain it for my studies. That you're not supposed to have a two-stage but with the edge of supposed to do is this, after gets either mid or high RPMs it's normal for the sound to raise up a little bit for about two to three and then died back to idle mode. If it takes a long time then it's considered a two stage idle which is not a good idea from this guy's point of view and also based on other studies I've seen. I want to know if I'm right about that. Hopefully it helps I think basically what's the matter for transparency on my part what you gets people to think why you're going around circles kind of.

Every nitro engine is going to sound different. All that matters that you know where the maximum high setting is and not to go past it. Fuel brand and oil lube will alter this maximum setting. A general rule is stay away from maximum high setting and your engine will last longer. Any ping sound is BAD.

Every nitro engine is going to sound different. All that matters that you know where the maximum high setting is and not to go past it. Fuel brand and oil lube will alter this maximum setting. A general rule is stay away from maximum high setting and your engine will last longer. Any ping sound is BAD.
I'm studying in different things real cars and RC cars. And basically any kind of ping sound is bad. As far as the small miniature engines is concerned, sometimes I wonder if you put it on the grass or something that creates too much load with the engine ping at a condition that makes the car hard to move around in the first place. I'm still looking up stuff basically. I will update this.

I'm studying in different things real cars and RC cars. And basically any kind of ping sound is bad. As far as the small miniature engines is concerned, sometimes I wonder if you put it on the grass or something that creates too much load with the engine ping at a condition that makes the car hard to move around in the first place. I'm still looking up stuff basically. I will update this.
???? Again oil lube will prevent this problem and not leaning out the high needle to max setting.

Back