I eat spur gears for a living

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnitro

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so everything was working fine. Until the tranny kept slipping out of gear I troublshot it down to this pin on the right side of the trany that goes into it. The pin is connected to this little spring thing and the spring is really loose on the mount. So whenever i start driving it always pops out because there is no pressure holding it in. So what i did was just ziptied the little arm that hold's pressure to it to keep it in the tranny. Now if i run into anything it just eats my spur gear. Is that pin a fail safe so if you crash it lets the tranny run loose. I just have no idea what it is and how to stop eating my gears

I'm not 100% sure what your missing, but it sounds like your missing the reverse micro servo that holds that linkage in one of two spots, forward and reverse.

Wish I had a better photo for you, but this is as good as I got since I don't have the revo anymore:
2005-1209-RevoReversServoCircled.jpg

Green circles are the reversing servo and the connection on the spring I think your talking of. Stupid antenna tube is in the way...

It doesn't really have anything to do with your spurs getting chewed up I don't think. My guess would be that your slipper adjustment is too tight causing the spur to not slip like its supposed to when you hit something.

Or, your chassis is tweaked or engine mount is cracked, so when you hit something the engine actually moves a bit causing the alignment to get off just enough to burn up your spur.

Your problem is most likely the mesh and/or bad clutch bearings. The clutch and spur have to be as tight as possible, while still being able to spin smooth. +1 on the tight slipper.

Ok so I took some pic to help better explain.
Ok first one is of this pin that goes into the tranny and the thing i had to ziptie to keep it in
502.jpg

Here is just another pic of the same thing
505.jpg

Here is just a pic from the top and yes I have no reverse do I need it or would that fix my prob?
503.jpg

yes you are missing the reverse servo and linkage. you could either get a servo and linkage and hook it up and that will give you reverse and solve your prob. or get a forward only kit and eliminate that pin and reverse. as far as the spur gears go try resetting your gear mesh. if you dont know how to set gear mesh look on this site there are several threads describing how to do this. or look on you tube for a vid. hope this helps you.

I have the other servo with the arm and the 2 set screws that hold it into place maybe i'm not typing the right stuff but can't find a video of how to install it. Do I need to retune once i do it. Or are there any step by step guides?

i go to traxxas.com and use the exploded views under the revo.it shows in detail how it all goes together. i retune every day i use it, you have to for the weather conditions,type of bashing,etc.

Last edited:
Going with the forward only conversion would keep the reverse linkage and servo in the parts pile and add strength to the tranny. Definitely read up and watch videos to learn how to set mesh. Always use blue locktite on the engine mount screws. Any screws that thread into metal need locktite. Use the removable stuff.

Your ziptie "fix" should work just fine. If you don't care to go into reverse at all. Most people get the forward only conversion which uses a wider gear in the trans and does away with the optidrive, servo and that little spring thing, along with a few other parts.

Once the internal gears fry on you, I'd suggest upgrading to the actual FOC kit. Stronger and less likely to break.

I can see your spur gear in pic 3, you're not meshing them tight enough.

Or your engine is moving on you. To help avoid the engine moving, take the engine with mount out and clean the sides where it makes contact with the cradle. Also clean the sides of the cradle to remove any oil residue. This thing relies solely on friction from the cradle pinching the side of the mount. If the side of the mount is oily, it will allow the engine to move and burn up your spurs.

I can't seem to find on the forum how to adjust your gear mesh any help? At olds I just bought the FOC can't beat it for 11 bucks.

Well after closer examination and reallizing I may be a retard the 4 screws that hold the engine are all gone. I have a wierd feeling that is causing all my troubles

Hopefully the holes they go into aren't stripped or you'll need a new mount. Make sure to put a good dose of locktight on those puppies!

Back