Hyper 7 TQ differential fluid amount

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCN

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys new here, just got a hyper 7 earlier this week and I'm looking into the silicone oil for the diff's. But here's my problem, how much fluid goes in the diff's? Is the losi 8ight 5/7/2 kit enough to do it? Or do I need to get larger tubes/ bottles? I've searched all over with no luck. I'm not a racer but I want more control over the power to the ground and the way it handles. I hate open diff's and I know there's very little grease in these from the factory. And one last question, is there really that big of a difference between 2k fluid and 3k fluid?

You want enough diff fluid to cover the top of the gears as shown below, but not enough to fill the cup full as it expands when it heats up during runs. As far as the weight of the oil, the higher the weight, the more posi action and less diff unloading you'll get.

P1000364%20Large_zpscpsckbfx.jpg

Hey guys new here, just got a hyper 7 earlier this week and I'm looking into the silicone oil for the diff's. But here's my problem, how much fluid goes in the diff's? Is the losi 8ight 5/7/2 kit enough to do it? Or do I need to get larger tubes/ bottles? I've searched all over with no luck. I'm not a racer but I want more control over the power to the ground and the way it handles. I hate open diff's and I know there's very little grease in these from the factory. And one last question, is there really that big of a difference between 2k fluid and 3k fluid?
Do you have a link to the "losi 8ight 5/7/2 kit" your talking about?

Pretty much all diffs are similar in size/capacity, so your probably fine with that kit.

You racing or bashing? As a basher, I run higher weights in my diffs to try and keep even tire wear and helping when getting high centered on something. In my MT's, I run 50K in the diffs. On my 1/8 buggy, I run 50K in the center and 20-30 in the front/rear. I usually run on grass, so fine tuning diff oil is pretty irrelevant for my needs.

I may at one point race (just for fun) but my big thing like you mentioned is tire wear. I hate how that its pulling mostly from the front and balloons the tires out. I'd like more control over that but I still want to have good handling. I'm not sure if I'm going to get that losi kit or just a bottle of 10k and maybe 5 to 7k oil :/ lol too many options to pick from

I'd just buy some various bottles of diff fluid, it's something you're going to use from now on if you stay with the hobby. Those bottles in the Losi kit are tiny. You can get the Associated BIG bottles on Amazon for about $6.

Just for a general idea, how long would a 2oz bottle last me? And how often should the fluid be changed?

I only change mine when the diff grenades... or if I notice it leaking out. With 50K... doesn't tend to leak much. LOL! With 50K in my buggy and an LRP28S3 for the engine, the thing will wheelie on me if I really lean on the throttle, but I do get pretty even tire wear front to back now. I should gear it a bit taller, that engine has way more torque than the buggy has weight/gearing and it hits top speed pretty quickly.

Alright I've figured out what weight oils I'm going to go with. But now I have another question, what's the best thing to use to clean the greas out of the plastic housings? I use a cleaner from the dollar store called "L.A's Totally Awesome" on everything from grease stains to gummed up carbs, would that be safe to use on the plastic? I'm unsure of the type of plastic but I know that cleaner hasn't messed with any of the plastics I've sprayed it on. It will eat through pot metal but that's only if you let it sit full strength for a pretty long time. I just don't want to ruin the diff housings lol.

Damage report! Lol I've had the buggy since Wednesday and took all day to break it in and ran a few extra tanks (found out the needles were way off from the factory with a pretty lean HSN and a really rich LSN) and so far I've lost the screw for the chassis hanger mount for the tuned pipe and the grub screw that goes in the end of the tuned pipe. Thanks to the missing grub screw it caused a crack in the body lol

Back