HPI-Killers AE MGT 4.6 & LRP .32 MGT Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, glad to hear the power keeps on growin!! On my 6th tank, and HOLY MOTHER OF CHUCK NORRIS!! This thing is so fuggin fast its uber scary!!! Awesome power on every aspect with awesome power punch stopped rollin or haulin!! Never seen the nose on #2 come up so easily on a stopped punch or a low speed punch my god its incredible!!! And actually I have never had the nose up on #1, #2 or amy of my nitros for that matter so its quite breathe taking!

I need some help on my my FOC converted trans isnt hitting 2nd gear, its had the same issue before hut this time its re-built and greased up. If it needs a shift point screw adjustment I havnt the slightest clue on the steps to doing so and would love some help.

Your a daisy if ya do!

Look good, stock engine mount and are you using a fuel filter?

No I am not but I should for the .32 ....
A fuel filter is one of those true must haves if you will be driving it off-road and don't want to jeopardizes your engine being damaged. I know guys who run a clunk and inline. I just keep mine clean and keep close eye on the tubing past the filter.
------
Well finally I got my 67-70* weather around so its going to finally let me break it in and get some bash time in!! Stoked!!
I wouldn't even worry about the weather. Just go get a fuel filter and a clean/oiled air filter...and get after it!

Last edited:
Nice, glad to hear the power keeps on growin!! On my 6th tank, and HOLY MOTHER OF CHUCK NORRIS!! This thing is so fuggin fast its uber scary!!! Awesome power on every aspect with awesome power punch stopped rollin or haulin!! Never seen the nose on #2 come up so easily on a stopped punch or a low speed punch my god its incredible!!! And actually I have never had the nose up on #1, #2 or amy of my nitros for that matter so its quite breathe taking!

I need some help on my my FOC converted trans isnt hitting 2nd gear, its had the same issue before hut this time its re-built and greased up. If it needs a shift point screw adjustment I havnt the slightest clue on the steps to doing so and would love some help.

Your a daisy if ya do!

Its most likely the grub screw that holds the 2nd gear sprag onto the shaft. There are 2 grub screws when you look through the shift point adjustment hole in the tranny. The one that goes straight in holds the sprag to the shaft. The other one is angled and is the adjustment screw. If the one holding the sprag to the shaft backs out some, it will never shift.

There is a flat spot on the shaft that the grub screw must sit on. Sometimes you can find it without pulling the tranny apart, but its best to take it apart, reseat it on the flat spot with loctite, and then reassemble.

My 4.6 did this. Not a bad fix, just gotta pull the transmission.

Alright before I open the MGTs heart up and tinker with her vitals I am trying to figure out how to attach a throttle return spring so she doesn't go WOT crazy on me...

Any ideas? Thanks guys, if all goes smooth she will be GoPro worthy tomorrow!!

Also got a Jammin JP-2 pipe installed and modified the manifold and made a side exhaust setup instead of rear setup. Pics later tonight!

Alright figured the TRS issue out, and am now moments away from pulling the heart out and trying to adress the shifting issue.

BLAM!! Got everything on the MGT to do list done, time to get the fuel bottle filled, the packs & ignitor chargin, everything double checked and tightened down and the most important thing, the GoPro chargin!!

When I pulled the trans out of her and opened her up to find the 2 speed clutch hub I noticed that it was all wrong..... The clutch hub wasn't even screwed to the 2 speed shaft but just sitting over it like a bearing.... Must of came loose from the previous trans owner..

Now that I didnt know the "how-to" when I rebuilt both #1&#2 trans, I am worried now that #1s trans is also assembled incorrect.... Yayyyy another teardown, but that can come later in time when I get back to #1...

Also not sure if I wanna throw the series 40 Losi Boggers on her or the 3.2 MAXX tires or 3.2 HPI Dirt Claws on.... HMMMMMM, better nap on it!

Well just another life lesson learned with nitros, they dont like scuba diving......

Haha just kidding but I did run into a pickle, I switched over to my series 40 boggers and switched to my motor saver filter and ran into a whole heap of tuning problems.... Didnt think switching filters and bigger tires would have done so much on throwing the tune off key.. To say the least I couldnt get it tuned to save my life, so unfortunatly face time with the GoPro will have to wait until tomorrow....

Pics from my runs earlier today, sucks not having jumps around my pad, black top and racing cars down the street is all I can enjoy... Although it is heart pumping being able to punch WOT from a dig, gain speed like mad then go rushing by them and have them watch my truck fly right on by em, 30mph road heavily patroled by the fuzzies so no close calls or losses on my behalf haha!
atuvere4.jpg

meheturu.jpg

abu3a5yr.jpg

uzybuzy9.jpg

ypa9y4yr.jpg

busy3azy.jpg

Looking good buddy! Good luck keeping those 14mm hex's in those maxx rims. I managed to strip out two sets of rims went to 17mm and I am still stripping them out LOL!

Thanks buddy, I only got a half tank in when they started coming loose, so I got my HPI Dirt Claws on a shallow offset wheel, and actually prefer the wider stance with this setup, stays planted a little bit more lol.

Been trying to get my trans shift point adjustment set correctly and am still unable to get it right...... Then on the 3rd tank I spun the spur gear right off due to overheating the shaft it bolts on, all because of it overworking itself trying to shift but ending up single speed..... Yayyyy

Thanks buddy, I only got a half tank in when they started coming loose, so I got my HPI Dirt Claws on a shallow offset wheel, and actually prefer the wider stance with this setup, stays planted a little bit more lol.

Been trying to get my trans shift point adjustment set correctly and am still unable to get it right...... Then on the 3rd tank I spun the spur gear right off due to overheating the shaft it bolts on, all because of it overworking itself trying to shift but ending up single speed..... Yayyyy

WOW, man that sucks. I have only had small trans issue's with my MGT'S. Dude you might want to consider the 8.0 trans. They are built a little heavier duty with the reinforcements inside. I also sent you a PM about that MGT you got for sale. Hit me back bro.

Last edited:
^^PM replied^^
----------------------

Getting real tired of trying to find the sweet spot on the shift point, and am starting to worry and wonder if the mill can overheat & break because its not shifting gears to use the engines power smoothly and correctly..?

I wont have time to wrench it this weekend, getting the JK all suited up and ready for part 2, this time in Utahs deserts where you can truely understand the term BFE...

Okay I am running into some tuning issues with the LRP. The low end punch is wicked strong, top end is insane but right after mid power she either sputters or cuts off completly, any ideas?

Hmmm okay I am fed up with my current servo saver... I think its a basic ss, but I am using Axials and I keep busting the torque clip inside the horn, is there any ss out there tougher than Chuck Norris?

I just switched out my FOC trans back to the stock because I can't get it to shift into 2nd no matter how many dozens of shift point adjustments I made.... I rigged up a stationary link that holds the reverse arm in so I dont get an accidental rev change, I also am redoing the hardware holding my front diff to the chassis, I guess the last impact on a tree stump shifted some parts and possibly bent my chassis brace....

Anybody? Lol I know I'm not that bad to help :)

Bump TTT, still looking for a stronger 25t servo saver for my Savox setup.

---------

I am just mocking up a dual tank mod on it now deciding if I want to take that path or not, the 2nd tank tucks right in nicely and will only need very minor modding to fit amd bolt into place.

----------

Also going to dip my fingers into the front end and pull it all apart to fix the bent bottom skid, re-attach tje diff to the chassis using a longer, more aggressive screw and give her a quick dusting. Been about a month since I have ran her, but not too worried, she always starts on the 1st or 2nd pull.

-----------

Also been considering re-gearing it for more of a low end punch but still give me enough top end, she can't pull her nose up with the MAXX tires, too firm and the lugs are too aggressive to dig, they spin, chatter and roost more than grab.

Dual tanks are easily done on the mgt. Like this.View attachment 13965

As for the steering horn I am running an alum Integy on mine. If it fits the maxx it fits the MGT with some steering arm link modification. The stock horn off the #4907 truck would work. You will need the team steering rack that has the built in servo spring. Links below for the steering parts needed to upgrade.

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mgRktuHnQ_j6cI5mteUCqeQ.jpg

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m3ZYfx4Ich9tpKjzAjkYOcg.jpg

Last edited: