How's your job?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My job sucks, I build tractor tires for firestone, it's hot as hell, smells like nasty burnt rubber, our union blows and my badge only lets me in 3/4 of the time!!!!!!!!

Switch bi-weekly.

Mon-fri: 0530hrs - 1400hrs
Mon-fri: 1330hrs - 2200hrs

No graves? Lucky SOB!

You guys ALL have it made. I work (on average) ten hours a day (that is what I log--it is more like twelve) seven days a week. I am out on the road an average of 26 days a month, and get four, MAYBE five days off a month.

But the pay is good.

Can't complain too much, 0630-1500, one weekend a month, and a lot of travel. The only things that suck is, a lot of travel, and not knowing about a trip outside of 48hrs. I could complain about the personel department (known as S1) but it would get me no where.

Well I work from around 630 am till 400 pm every day but I have been laid off for about three months now! I did get called back into work last week but got laid off again after just two days. I love beening laid off just cause I know that I have a job to go back I guess other wise I would be a mess for myself. All I have to do is make a phone call an bam back to work for me. So i keep a low profile so my boss lets me alone. Good thing my boss is one of my dads best friends or I would be S out of luck! Well he is one of my friends to. We have a tight lil company going we all know each other really good and get lots of rate work life is good. I dont want anyone to think I am lazy tho this is the first time in my life that I ever have been laid off and I have been working full time since I was 17yrs old!!!!!!!!

Been working since I was 15. Was at a Murphy Mart. (A department store chain from long ago.)

Just like days a lot better. I went from being a pee-on back to the shift leader. Guess that is what you would call it. Just 3 of us.
I like being a pee-on... No stress, something different every day.

They brought one guy back that was laid off. Hired one today.
First of the year it was 8hr days one shift. Now it's 10hr days with 2.
I'm glad it's picking up. If I can just get used to this shift again. This time last year I was busting ass at something before I went to work. Had scrap I was cutting, mowing mine and Mom's grass, the garden.... Can't get anything done now.

Well never got caught up then either.

I gained a bit on my 401K this time. Happy about that.

My schedule changes every week due to the fact that I work Fast Food, but i don't care, it's a job, and thats what i care about.

I get in at about 6AM in the morning...get out between 5 to 7 PM. Right now it's 6 days a week. I end up putting in between 60-75 hours a week....I don't get paid by the hour so that is a pain. Oh well like you all say. If you have a job don't complain about it too loud, or it can always go away right?
Karl I know ALL about the no notice trips. I used to keep a bag in the car just for that purpose....Hey can you leave in an hour? They always knew the answer from me was yes. Call the wife and tell her you would be home in a "few" days.

No graves? Lucky SOB!

You guys ALL have it made. I work (on average) ten hours a day (that is what I log--it is more like twelve) seven days a week. I am out on the road an average of 26 days a month, and get four, MAYBE five days off a month.

But the pay is good.

wuss.

I love my job BTW, i wouldn't be doing it if i didn't. Pay is good, annual bonus's are better and the perks make it GREAT!

I went from working close to 70 hours a week in may to working 15 hours a week...

I love my job. I work as a butcher in a small supermarket. I pretty much the only one there trained in all the work areas. Which means I get moved around allot. This week I'm working in the deli since we have two on vacation. One of the perks of being trained in a butcher shops is you learn everything. Only thing I haven't learned is the actual butchering of the animals.

I work a three week schedule.

Week 1
Mon 05 - 13
Wed 07 - 15
Thu 08 - 19
Fri 06 - 14

Week 2
Mon 05 - 13
Wed 07 - 15
Thu 08 - 19
Fri 06 - 14

Week 3
Mon 05 - 13
Wed 07 - 15
Thu 08 - 19
Fri 07 - 18
Sat 07 - 17

And seven sundays a year I work 07 - 14

Pay is good but not great. I may aspire for something greater, but that would only mean more paperwork. I hate paperwork.

Sorry for the noval here. I have been waiting for a thread like this one.
My Job has a lot of benefits but the rules have gone so strict that we can't stop to scratch our butts with out letting someone know. Trust me, I am very thankful and blessed to have a full time job that gives me at least 40 hours a week. That said, here goes my meager rant. Sorry to drag this our for some of ya'll.
I work for a cable company as a broad band tech which in translation means "I'm a Cable Guy". Nothing like Jim Carrey though. I fix, cable TV (both analog, digital and high def digital), high speed Internet and now Telephone (911 certified) coaxial to telephone wire in homes. Not only do I now fix these products but sense spring of 08 we all now do installs as well. Now I am sure some of you may have or are working for cable and installs were part of the job.
When I started in this job installer was the lowest level. Now they say "hey, this is a good thing so we can slowly get rid of the contractors".
Yeah, for got to say that they now allow us only 45min to do any trouble call. That includes documentation of all RF levels from device, ground block and tap. Make sure all connectors in house are standard good snap and seals, the Customer isn't having any other problems with their product, try to make a sale (BTW we are required to make at least 8 sales in one month or possible 1st verbal write up warning), make sure all outside hard ware is up to Technical Quality Assurance spech (AKA TQA) including but not limited to proper bond and of course the main thing, trouble shoot and fix the customers problem.
Now before you guys are thinking this is totally impossible, I will say we can make special requests to have a follow up for later. The only problem is you have to get it confirmed with your super. This usually leads most of us to stick around on the job taking more time than required. You know how that goes...
Where I work, there isn't a union and probably a good thing for a lot of reasons.
Pay here at my job (co. name here won't say), most techs start now at $10 an hour and with no write ups or preventable accidents you can study for an advancement test and get a, what use to be 10% raise that is now 5%. Hey, at least they are giving raises right? Remember what you are required to do on jobs. If your performance doesn't meet the requirements, which includes but not limited to: you don't have any repeat calls with in a weeks time, no on job or driving accidents, all the stuff I mentioned on trouble calls and IF YOU DON"T GO POSTAL!
Like I said in my first few sentinces, I am very happy I have a full time job. Can't knock having a full time job with benniffits it's just lately I don't look forward to going to work like I use to. Also I try to savor every freakin' week end I get.

So how much time during the day is allotted to scratching your ass? That's completely insane.

In my work you start out at 105 DKR(20$) and I am now at 135 DKR(26$).

Yeah this is NC and if you work by the sweat of the brow you are a grunt regardless.
Also I for got to mention our compitition (whome isn't highering right now) the phone companies are paying most techs that's been there for 2 years around $22 an hour. Go figure. Not all of our system techs(the guys in the bucket trucks or boom trucks) aren't getting that much. I'd say around 2 or 3 of them are getting close to a few quarters.

My job is sleeping and eating, and bashing every once and awhile. I got it real good. Oh yeah...I'm still a young teen.

IT manager for a 140 mil/yr company keeps odd hours sometimes but at least they havent asked me to leave yet:->

IT manager for a 140 mil/yr company keeps odd hours sometimes but at least they havent asked me to leave yet:->

Just remember to wear your "I read your email" t-shirt when they start handing out the pink slips.......:D

M/C tech, hrs 9-6 through the week 9-5 on sat get thursday off.Pay isnt the greatest,however after 18 years of wrenching I'm getting tired of working saturdays and wrenching in general,but until the economy changes or I win the lotto(LOL) ill be working away,riding ALL the newest cool bikes is a nice perk though.

JC

Just remember to wear your "I read your email" t-shirt when they start handing out the pink slips.......:D

I joke that there is a Doomsday program for when they start laying me off because they will have to use computers to do it so I will know. This program will shut down all servers and format drives, they laugh but deep down inside they wonder if I would really do it or if I could:D

Working for the one of the largest trucking companies in the US right now. Not where I like to be as I am a Volkswagen certified tech. I left the dealership I was at so I could move back to my hometown(Chi-Town suburbs) from where I ended up after tech school. There were no VW jobs available so I took what I could get at the time. I am still looking to get back to working on cars but I guess you can't beat a steady paycheck. I was working M-F 7a-330p which I love, but am on a Sunday-Wednesday shift right now working 6a-430. Only part I don't like is having to come in on Sunday's and I really don't know what I will do once footbal season starts. I am scheduled to eventually go back to my M-F shift but who knows when. Hopefully soon...