how to tell what year t maxx i have??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBASHTMAXX

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I was wondering if anyone knows what's different between all the years the T Maxx has been made

I was told the shell color would tell me, but i am not sure if that's right.

thanks for your advice

Year...near impossible. But post a picture and I can tell you really quick. The shell color will tell you very little since you can put any body on it that you want to as long as it will fit. There were three/four basic versions of the T-maxx. The .15 original. It had a .25 engine with a rotory carb and the shorter a-arms. The tranny and battery/receiver boxs were black plastic. The next was the 2.5 Maxx...as a .15 engine but had a higher power output. This had a slide style carb and a gray/silver head on the engine. The 2.5 had longer arms changed up linkages and is now a rear exhaust engine vs. the side exhaust on the .15. The tranny and battery/receiver boxs were still black plastic. They also had the 2.5R with had a slightly differnt engine still a 2.5/2.5 engine but had a blue anno head on it. The tranny and battery/receiver boxes are now gray plastic. They then came out with the 3.3 version of the T-Maxx it as had the gray plastic but had the 3.3 engine. The chassis was also lengthened out in the front by about an inch and gave a Revo spec drive line, brakes ect. That is a basic cliff notes run down.

Ii have had this car for a couple months now, i know its a t maxx 2.5 with the .15 in her, just curious of how old she is?? Here are some pics, thanks alot for the info above.

Attachments

• 1012000232.jpg
    1012000232.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 628
  • 1012000233.jpg
    1012000233.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 541
  • 1012000233a.jpg
    1012000233a.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 637
  • 1012000234.jpg
    1012000234.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 976
  • 1012000234b.jpg
    1012000234b.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 559
After looking at the pics, it almost appears to be a gen one maxx converted to a 2.5. The rims and tires appear to be from a first gen maxx, and the arms, although hard to tell for sure, appear to be the narrow arms.

Last edited:
i looked on the Traxxas website and found a page with a rear assembly diagram of both t maxx pro .15 and 2.5, ill put the link so you can take a look at it if you want and tell me what you think, but it looks like on the upper a arm on the rear of the pro .15 is a different style then mine, and I'm almost positive they are the stockers on the rear of my truck, of coarse the front ones are aftermarket rpm so can't tell with the front.

thanks.
http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/maxx/tmaxx/trx_tmaxx_views.htm

How wide is it? It looks like the 2.5 to me.

Here is a pic of the front of a .15, as you stated there is a different styling to the arms. You can also compare the width from this one.

width.JPG

Thanks for the picture, mines def. a maxx 2.5

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what t maxx I got

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210223-223528_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223-223528_OfferUp.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Screenshot_20210223-223516_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223-223516_OfferUp.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 283
its the extended chassis and the grey trans, but looks to be the 2.5R engine, (check the markings on the side to confirm, the 2.5R and the 3.3 look really similar without the head guard installed). so most likely started life as a 3.3 and was swapped to the 2.5R engine.

I can tell just by looking at the head!. It's a 3.3 engine. Easy the identify. The head screws are further from the center . On a 2.5R engine the head screws break the center hole.

Year...near impossible. But post a picture and I can tell you really quick. The shell color will tell you very little since you can put any body on it that you want to as long as it will fit. There were three/four basic versions of the T-maxx. The .15 original. It had a .25 engine with a rotory carb and the shorter a-arms. The tranny and battery/receiver boxs were black plastic. The next was the 2.5 Maxx...as a .15 engine but had a higher power output. This had a slide style carb and a gray/silver head on the engine. The 2.5 had longer arms changed up linkages and is now a rear exhaust engine vs. the side exhaust on the .15. The tranny and battery/receiver boxs were still black plastic. They also had the 2.5R with had a slightly differnt engine still a 2.5/2.5 engine but had a blue anno head on it. The tranny and battery/receiver boxes are now gray plastic. They then came out with the 3.3 version of the T-Maxx it as had the gray plastic but had the 3.3 engine. The chassis was also lengthened out in the front by about an inch and gave a Revo spec drive line, brakes ect. That is a basic cliff notes run down.
The first generation is at about 25 years old, the second came out about 22 years ago. The 3.3 came out with multiple versions, one without reverse and one with opti drive. I believe there is one with the older transmission but quickly replaced because of the 3.3 strips the gears.

The one with the older transmission wasn't replace quickly because the 3.3 stripped the gears. it was upgraded with improve forward reverse primary gears because they broke. I have the transmission and Traxxas redesigned the way the gears fit together. The aftermarket metal gears still use the old way of fitting together.

The first generation is at about 25 years old, the second came out about 22 years ago. The 3.3 came out with multiple versions, one without reverse and one with opti drive. I believe there is one with the older transmission but quickly replaced because of the 3.3 strips the gears.
yep, first version 3.3 used the older style (black) transmission still found in the 2.5 today, but the gears just wouldnt hold together, shortly after it was replaced with the extended chassis (extended in the front) chassis version with the grey redesigned trans, to allow it to be more planted and less wheelie happy/easier to control.