How To Lock This Diff?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blindfaith429

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Stock, my truck comes with ball differentials, as it's meant to be more of a race truck. I am converting it to gear differentials, that I would like to try to lock.

The issue is that they are open style, not closed in a case I can pack with putty or JB Weld.

Here's a pic of the differentials.

Would something simple like a few dabs of super-glue be enough to lock them?

Thanks

Gear Differential.jpg

The only way I see is to glue the internal gears or glue a few internal gears to each output. Ca glue would be best.

Although I have before, once you do you can't undo it. If one glued part breaks, all parts glued will need to be replaced. Keep in mind it will wallow out the drive cups and may cause pulling to one side under hard acceleration and might break dog bones.

Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the down-sides to a locked diff, but as mentioned, this is meant to be a low-speed crawler.

I am increasing the spur gear size (65 tooth) as well as running the smallest pinion (9 tooth) to gear it way down. I also don't plan on running this on pavement or anything like that.

Thanks!

Side question, would crawling be compromised much if left as an open diff? I can always run it as is, and change it later if needed.

These particular diffs were $22.50 each (2 required, one front, one rear). I also have the factory ball diffs as well I can pop in and tighten to limit the power transfer. I didn't want to lock the ball diff due to them being a little more expensive units ($30 each).

Last edited:
Silly putty. It has the added benefit of giving the gears a bit of a cusion when you go over the rough spots.

Ignore me. I replied before reading. Yeah, a 2 part epoxy putty would be my suggestion.

Silly putty. It has the added benefit of giving the gears a bit of a cusion when you go over the rough spots.

Ignore me. I replied before reading. Yeah, a 2 part epoxy putty would be my suggestion.
I'm guilty of that alot.

Actually, silly putty may work. Put it in the area between the tiny gears and it should stay put. It would be sandwiched between the 2 medium sized out-drive gears. With the low RPM of a crawler, I can't imagine it would "sling" out.

Edit: another thing to note is that this truck does NOT have a center diff (for front-to-back power distribution). The truck has a center shaft connecting the front and rear differentials, and a spur gear mounted dirrectly to the shaft.

So even if the front or back are off the ground completely, the opposite end will still get power (which would then be distributed between the two sides obviously).

Last edited:
Back