How to dye parts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRSMP5

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ITEMS needed

Glad Ware containers, 3.99$ for 3 of them, size=13 cups/104oz/3.07L
This is big enough for 4 stock wheels or 2 big Joes at a time...

dye9.jpg

dye8.jpg

Rit Dye Colors
Black, Royal Blue, Dark Green, Scarlet, Navy Blue, Golden Yellow, Purple, denim blue, 1.65$ for powder (1 time use) or 3$ for bottle liquid (multi use)

dye10.jpg

dye7.jpg

dye6.jpg

IMO I feel the power works better then liquid does...

An old Pizza Box to not stain your kitchen table to work on.

How to do this…

First thing is to decide on how many colors you would like to use. 2 tone wheels look sharp

dye4.jpg

sav30.jpg

I set the wheels in the dish, filled it with water, for 2 tone I had to do a little marking for my desire on the dish so I knew how much water was needed at a level area to do that. I used a marker to mark the position with wheels in the water, then took the wheels out and marked it with out wheels, will be a lower water line.

What I do is boil the water in the container for 10min on high in the microwave. Then I remove it from the microwave and pour the dye in. I stir it with a plastic picnic type utensil.

dye1.jpg

dye2.jpg

dye3.jpg

Those are 40 Series Outback welds in the container; the lid was used to help floating issues and to keep heat in...

Now comes the tricky part... the longer the wheel sits in the dye the darker it gets, and there is NO turning back to make it lighter. For the case of stock sized wheels u can do all 4 at same time, but bigger requires a close approximation to how long they sit so all 4 match. I do the simple count to 50 check, then if not dark enough keep going... different wheels dye at different rates due to different chrome or plastic used.

sav21.jpg

Stock wheels take a good 10 min just to get a tint to them, the RPM wheels dye very fast, count of 50 on the blue look (actually purple), and the Big Joes are a good 200-500 count for my shades..

Just stick with the count and check often then you should be safe.

I used the lids of the container to set them on to rinse them off under plenty of cool water to remove any dye that may drip off it.

If you have chrome wheels make sure to get the chrome out of where the tire bead is, and some 1/8” holes for breathing if not already in the wheel.

If you would like to remove the chrome, there are 2 ways I know of
1.) acid-tone that you can get from a paint supply store
2.) A bucket of undiluted simple green throw the wheels in and let sit overnight

sav31.jpg

RPM offset ones

big3.jpg

Proline Velocity6 (dyed chrome)

rrd.jpg

Proline Outback Welds w/Road rage tires

BDsax red creation
Rim2.JPG

WOW thats cool.. thats alot of info..

I have one question tho what about rims glued to the tires? what should I do if I wanted to dye them.. which now I'm thinking about doing.

On the red and blue chrome wheels. Was the chrome still left on when you dyed them??