How to break-in a RC nitro engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have seen a number of discussions that showcase stories of someone who didn't think they needed to break in the engine before bashing their nitro RC car. Wrong!

Those people couldn't be more mistaken. It literally only takes a couple hours and five tanks of gas, depending on your specific nitro engine and brand. Real car gasoline engines must be broken in, so why would anyone think a nitro engine would be different?

In this guide, we're going to share with you a proper way to break-in your nitro engine...

Click to continue

Good one Woodie! Now that guy can't say he wasn't warned or properly instructed.

Is there no any temp. required?

Nice, sounds like the traxxas recommended break in procedure. I use the heat cycle method ,myself.

Good thinking Woodie. With warmer weather coming, I am sure there will be many posts on break in procedures in the near future.

This should be a sticky!

Be sure to aim for the 200 degree range when doing your break-in, but DO NOT lean your engine to achieve that temp. You need to cover the head with something if it won't warm up while running at a rich needle setting.

Another thing to consider is that 5 tanks is barely a break-in, especially on high quality engines. If you're gonna go wide open on tank 6 you should at least make sure the engine is warmed up first.

Yea, I probably should have mentioned cold-weather break in or engine temps. Maybe for a Part II. :D

Never, ever turn on your RC car, whether it be battery or nitro, without the controller being on. Outside frequencies might interfere, and the servos can go crazy. If you get into the safe practice of always turning on the controller and then the car, you’ll have one less thing to worry about.

Back