How to break in a RC Motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoMamaLlama

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Flying
Hey, I know from the last post I made I said I was going to get brushless, but everything is super delayed (I got up to 3 months lol). So I just got another ARRMA Brushed 12 T motor for the time being. First, should I break in wet, or dry? If wet, how do you do it? I have some knowledge on dry, but not any on wet break in's. What motor-bearing lube do you recommend?

Some will argue that wet is better, with these cheap motors I never really noticed a difference to be honest.

I hear Marvell Mystery Oil works great.
Lol. I was looking for that vid. Just got back with the link. You're too quick.

Some will argue that wet is better, with these cheap motors I never really noticed a difference to be honest.

Marvell Mystery Oil looks like any normal type of oil, I have oil, does it need to be a certain type?

I wont argue its best to break in wet with green anti freeze race those motors for years we broke them in wet and the relubed bearings

I've done both wet and dry but all of my brushed motors are Holmes Hobbies and he recommends dry break in.

LOL

I have seen some other videos too, they use Motor spray(or this) to clean it out. Worth it? Or just use a air compressor (Which I have) One more thing, you said Marvell Mystery Oil works good. Should I use that or a type of oil made for electric motors? Specifically bearings.

Last edited:
LOL

I have seen some other videos too, they use Motor spray(or this) to clean it out. Worth it? Or just use a air compressor (Which I have) One more thing, you said Marvell Mystery Oil works good. Should I use that or a type of oil made for electric motors? Specifically bearings.

Yeah it's worth it to use that it helps get any residual water out of the motor and prevents rust. I would opt for the bearing lube just because it's easier to apply and it does go a long way.

Yeah it's worth it to use that it helps get any residual water out of the motor and prevents rust. I would opt for the bearing lube just because it's easier to apply and it does go a long way.
Great, would this (I know WD40 and that's NOT because of what's above lol) work?

I have no experience with that particular product, but judging by the description it should work just fine. I use CRC QD Electronics cleaner for mine.
that would be fine to displace water, that's what WD 40 was intended to be. Water Displacer formula 40. But it's NOT a lubricant. it evaporates over time. You will still need to use a good oil to lube with. I use the wet break-in with 2 D cell batteries as power works very well. Then i use the air compressor to blow water out then lube with a medium gear oil.