How many batteries do I need to bring?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skurtreynolds

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Racing 21.5 2wd buggy, how many batteries would you bring? Are you charging at the track between runs?

I’m nearing the end of my build and I’m about to go buy batteries for racing etc and I’m just not sure how many to get.

I always carried 2 but at times I had 5, never know when one will fail or ir goes way to high to be useful.
Yes you charge between races @ track .but must be in attendance. Always had a battery that would last just past run time in mah..next.doing warmup laps maybe a few extra. the race time with pileups...best of luck

I second what tntpoof said, I like to have at least two batteries. Never know when your going to run short on time or 1 of your batteries could have a problem.

Thanks both of you! Got my electrics in last night and getting to soldering this afternoon. Excited to go hit a practice day this week. Wouldn’t have been able to without the help of this forum.

My rule is always 2 batteries or more per car. Currently for my wheeler I have 4. But 2 I am giving to my uncle. My local club / track on Thursday night racing is usually 2 quals and 1 main. Start at 8 and end around 1030 to 11. I charge both batteries before racing l, usually I get to the track about 3 hours before racing so I'll run a few packs for practice. Once racing starts, qual 1, 1 battery, put that one on charge, qual 2 I'll use the other charged battery, after qual 2, storage charge that battery and for the main I have a battery ready to go. I do this because right after racing ends I gotta get out of there because I need to get home. The same goes if I run multiple classes. Now usually I get in the B main, so if I do get bumped up to the A, I will use the same battery i used for the B since I have enough time left to run it. Our quals and mains are 5 minutes so a pair of 6100 packs and a pair of 5200 packs can easily last me 10 minutes of driving or more. At the end of a race which is 5 minutes, my batteries are about storage voltage of 3.9v per cell. Now this is goes for all of my 4 cars. Which is 13.5 stock 4wd buggy, Mini B Open, 2wd SCT with my Slash, and 2wd ST / Truck for my Rustler.

I typically race with 1 battery, usually takes about 8-10 min to charge it at 40A to get peak performance out of the pack. I charge to 4.22V/cell so the pack rests at 8.40V after saturation is complete. The more you work a single battery the better it performs, this is called cycling/pumping.

More info here:

Last edited:
I typically race with 1 battery, usually takes about 8-10 min to charge it at 40A to get peak performance out of the pack. I charge to 4.22V/cell so the pack rests at 8.40V after saturation is complete. The more you work a single battery the better it performs, this is called cycling.

More info here:
Oh wow I had no idea. Going to go watch now. Thanks!

I charge my 2s Shorty and Stick packs at 10A. Ready and fully charged on about 15 minutes. My mini batteries for the mini b I charge at 3 to 4 amps. And those are done about in the same time. And I always balance charge. My wheeler batteries are LiHV so I fully charge to 8.7v (4.35v/cell) and my normal 2s LiPos I charge to 8.4v (4.2v/cell)
I might go into my charger settings, see if I can set the end voltage. But kinda risking it by overcharging it. But I do agree that if you overcharge it a little like Bill, once it rests, it should be evenly fully charged.

Back